Product Review: Cosmo Cricket Blackboard
I fell madly in love with the Cosmo Cricket Blackboard as soon as I saw the first teasers. First and foremost, black items are staples in my scrapbooking. Second, I thought it fantastic that I wouldn't need to paint the edges of my chipboard any longer. The shapes and alphabets are wonderfully designed, and they pop out from the panels with none of the ugly edges that need to be sanded. The coordinating die cuts are whimsical and fun.
I love Blackboard simply as black silhouette shapes, with no embellishment at all. But just like other chipboard, these shapes look amazing when embellished. Here are just a few ideas on ways to embellish your Blackboard:
- Stamp a word or design. I love the high contrast of black and white on a project. The Blackboard is perfect when paired with white pigment ink.
- Heat emboss a design with clear powder. This technique is a subtle enhancement to your shape. A similar technique is to use a glossy medium to cover the entire shape.
- Give your shapes some shine and glimmer with Stickles or glitter. I love how Stickles dry on Blackboard, with the black still showing through the glitter.
- Doodle or draw designs on your Blackboard with a white pen, again achieving high contrast.
- Pull out your chalks, pencils, pastels or metallic rub-ons. The surface of Blackboard is a perfect canvas for these mediums. I especially love how the metallic rub-ons look against the black.
- Embellish with brads or eyelets. Blackboard is just the right thickness for brads and eyelets.
- Use rub-ons as a quick and easy way to dress up your Blackboard. Be sure to use lighter colored rub-ons.
- Handstitch with embroidery thread. Use a paper piercer to make holes in your Blackboard and then sew with a standard needle.
If you would like a larger Blackboard canvas, try a shaped album. They are available in eight different shapes. My favorite is the house album with the cutout doorway on the cover. Another unique product is the Blackboard photo box and the memory box, perfect to decorate and fill with sweet treats.
There is no end to the imaginative ways you can use this fantastic product on your paper projects. For more ideas on how to use Blackboard, visit the Cosmo Cricket Inspiration Gallery or the company blog.
- rub-ons -- Junkitz and Making Memories
- stamp -- Just for Fun
- Stickles -- Ranger
- metallic rub-ons -- Craft-T
- Blackboard -- Cosmo Cricket
- ink -- Stampin' Up