Creating with the Grand Calibur
Article Courtesy Scrapjazz.com: by Patter Cross
There is a wonderful die-cutting machine on the market that I want to share with you today. It is the Grand Calibur Die Cut and Embossing Machine by Spellbinders. The Grand Calibur Die Cutting and Embossing Machine accepts 8 ½" x 11" paper, and is compatible with Sizzlets, Cuttlebug, and Quickuts dies, as well as Cuttlebug Embossing Folders and Fiskars Texture Plates. Because the Grand Calibur has a wider opening, it can accept larger dies. Spellbinders makes larger dies called Grand Dies to fit into this machine. These Grand Dies are perfect for scrapbook pages as the dies are quite large. Scrapbook.com offers the following Grand Dies:
- Grand Big Scalloped Ovals (dies measuring approx. 3" x 4" to approx. 7½" x 9¾")
- Grand Big Scalloped Circles (dies measuring approx. 3" round to approx. 7" round)
- Grand Labels Eleven (dies measuring approx. 3 ½" x 5 to approx. 6" x 8")
- Grand Large Labels (dies measuring appprox. 3" x 4" to approx. 5" x 7")
As you can see, the largest dies are very large and would not fit into a regular-sized die machine. The Grand Calibur is the perfect companion to the Grand Dies!
A Layout for Inspiration
For one of my first creations with this new machine and the dies, I created an 8" x 8" layout using the Grand Labels One in the Grand Calibur machine. I used one of the medium dies in the set measuring 5 ¾" so it worked perfectly with paper from a 6" x 6" paper pack. The dark green paper layered just below my photo was cut with the die in the Grand Calibur Machine. The largest die in this set measures 6 ¾" which would be wonderful on a 12" x 12" page. Some of the dies listed above measure even much larger. Just perfect for scrapbook pages of all sizes!
- tools: Spellbinders Grand Calibur
- papers: Memory Box Minuet, Memory Box Mango and Squash Distressed Dots, Memory Box Mango Moroccan, Papertrey Ink cardstock
- stamps: Memory Box Orchid Branch Print G1718
- stamp ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pumice Stone and Black Soot
- embellishments: Spellbinders Grand Labels One, hand-dyed seam binding, Tim Holtz Symphony tissue tape, Paper Trey Ink rustic twine, Rose Moka alpha stickers, Maya Road chipboard flourish and tag, Distressed Crackle Paint Frayed Burlap, Stickles Black Diamond, Creative Cafe buttons, BasicGrey Kioshi alphabet chipboard, machine sewing
So, if you are looking for larger dies to use on your scrapbook pages, the Grand Calibur with the Grand dies is what you need! Definitely a perfect match all the way around!