Last night I did a page in which I used:
- adhesive squares (for photos and some other page elements)
- glue dots (for a tied piece of ribbon)
- Zig glue pen with chisel tip (for a few smaller items)
- glue stick (the only thing I have that doesn't make sheer ribbon look horrible)
- tacky glue (for big buttons with the shanks cut off)
Also in stock, but unused on that layout, are several types of pop dots/foam squares, a different type of Zig glue pen (the squeeze and roll, which I don't like very much), and a package of sticky-dot adhesive sheets.
Different products for different situations.