Username Post: Former Scrapbook Phobic Converted
CalebIsMyHero
Resident
CalebIsMyHero

Hi! I was a scrapbook phobic person. I never thought it was something I could do or would even enjoy doing. I had friends try to get me started, but I always had an excuse why it wasn't for me. I'd even "tried" making a scrapbook page at a MOPs (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) meeting. We only had 45 minutes & it took me almost all that time just trying to pick a piece of paper! So, I got discouraged & added another excuse to my list.

My entire world was turned upside down on 10.10.10, when my 5-yr old son, Caleb, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He passed away 5 1/2 months later on March 25, 2011.

In March 2012, we attended a bereavement camp designed for families who have lost a child. There is a session designed just for the moms to create a scrapbook page to memorialize their child. We had over 2 hours to gather materials & all weekend to finish it. That day, I discovered a desire inside to SHOW how much my son meant to me. My love for him came pouring out on paper in photos & words. It was very therapeutic for me (and still is), so much so that when left camp, I asked my husband if I could start scrapbooking and buy some materials. From the end of March until mid-May, I gathered materials, shopped yard sales & found whatever deals I could on all things scrapbook related.

I am embarking on a new journey - one of memories to share. I created my first "official" scrapbook page (outside of camp) on May 30, 2012. It only took me 2 hours because I could already picture in my head what I wanted it to look like. I feel alive while recreating these memories. I laugh & I cry as I remember.

Thanks for welcoming me to the wonderful world of scrapbooking. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go along.

Angel

NOTE: You are viewing an individual post. View the Entire Topic