Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!
Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

In response to t-scraps

Amazon - Sea Swept
I just finished “listening to” Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay, Book 1), Nora Roberts, 1998. I was trying to break out of my “Young Adult” and “murder/mystery” pit and though I would try a romance novel.

Now you would think this story, with its nautical & sailing backdrop, would be the perfect adventure for me, but from the very beginning I had difficulties with the moral compass and ethics of both main characters. Which is a strange thing as I am far from being a prude. I couldn’t just “go with the story” because of certain attitudes of the “players” and their poor boundaries. Like the concept that “it’s OK to be a womanizer and when the right woman comes along she will magically transformed mr playboy into a home-loving hero”. I don’t think so but I’ll have to read a few more books to find out.

The beginning of the book also left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn’t expect a female author to write so disrespectfully about women. But because it is a lengthy series, maybe great things happen in the later books and everyone forgets about the past. And “forgetting about the past “ does seem to be a recurring theme among all of the characters.

I am just starting to wrap my head around the concept of a “book series”. Some books, while part of a series, give you a complete and fulfilling story while other books seem to be a big tease. “Want to know what happens…then you have to read the next book.” I may read, I mean “listen to” the next book in the Chesapeake Bay series because I have it and it was free. But it won’t be anytime soon.

For now I am reading CLEOPATRA! Talk about a a bad moral compass and loose ethics! Amazon -Cleopatra - A life

NOTE: You are viewing an individual post. View the Entire Topic