Username Post: Which camera Nikon 5100 or Canon t3i?        (Topic#1573273)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I love my Canon Powershot S5 IS and I have been extremely satisfied with the quality of the shots I get. I don't know if I should stick with Canon because I'm happy with it or venture on to the Nikon 5100 and give it a shot? Any preferences?

Also, which lens should I get to begin? Should I get the kit that only comes with the 18-55 MM f 3.5/5.6 IS lens? Should I get the kit that comes also with the 55-250 mm or 75-300 mm? Do I need an additional lens at all? I probably won't be doing distance that much, but I do like macro.

Just looking for some advice before buying.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to StarsNSparkles

I'd go for the T3i myself. It doesn't have limitations on lens functionality like the Nikon D5100 does. Also, the T3i uses a nearly identical sensor to the 7D which gives you outstanding ISO performance. However, this is me. We all shoot differently and you might get the Nikon in your hands and it may just feel right to you. So go play with them.

I usually say go for just the kit lens at first. There's nothing worse than getting lenses you end up hating. (the Canon 75-300 is that lens for me)Wait until you know what other lenses you really want before spending the money on them. In the long run you'll spend a lot less money that way. None of the lenses you listed are macro lenses.

Edited by photo_chick on 04-02-12 01:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to photo_chick

Thanks Danielle the canon looks the same as the one I have so I'm sure I'll like the feel of it. The different lenses were different kit options...so I didn't know if I should do a kit or just start off with the camera only.

Edited by StarsNSparkles on 04-02-12 02:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick

The 18-55 is the standard kit lens for the rebels. Canon boxes it specially for sale as a kit at a discount. The other lenses are store packages and usually the discount on those lenses isn't that great, if there's any real discount at all.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I need to price the lenses other than through amazon then because the packaged price their compared to the individual prices seemed like a good deal.

Do u know if my lenses from my current canon which are a macro and a 55mm will be compatible with the rebel?

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick

Are they auxillary lenses for the S5? If so, then no. Those are not full lenses, they're just add ons.

All Canon DSLR's use EF mount lenses. This is the same mount that Canon adopted for the EOS 35mm cameras in the 1980's. The crop format DSLR's (all Canon's out now except the 1D and 5D lines) will also use EF-S lenses which are made just for crop cameras in addition to EF lenses.

Veteran

Why not consider the Canon T2i and save yourself some money. If you read the camera reviews on the various forums most will say the T3i isnt worth the price difference over the t2i. Then use some of that savings to buy yourself an awesome lens.

Ive seen deals on the T2i here and there, the most steady one is to buy a cheap canon camera off of ebay, and trade it in using Canon's trade in program and buy the refurbished t2i for pretty cheap, I think $400 but I could be wrong.

This Canon trade in program isnt well publicized.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to GeraldFagan

There are features that make the T3i worth the price IF those are features you will use. It's a $75-$150 price difference between the two now, depending on where you shop and what type of kit you buy.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics