Username Post: What are you using for backdrops?        (Topic#1581581)
Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-09-12 02:07 PM

What are you using for backdrops when shooting animals in doors?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Bev1

I only shoot animals outdoors so I'm no help.

Sorry.

I'd love to hear other responses tho.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to ScrappyMama6

What's a backdrop? LOL! JK

Seriously though I never thought of doing that.
I'm lucky to get a pic of my cat when she goes whizzing by so I don't worry about backdrops. And my poor old doggie is usually lying down somewhere so I just take her pic on whatever she happens to be lying on.
Yup I have one extreme (kitten) to the other (13 yr old dog).
Are you talking about taking "professional" pics of your animals?

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-10-12 04:11 PM
In response to Doreena

I'm certanly not a professional but I am onee of the photographers for our local animal shelter.I have a blue bavkdrop and a few odds an ends I use but I'm not happy with the results I get from those.Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.TIA

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Bev1

Oh I see.
That makes sense.
Well obviously we know I'm no help! LOL!
Hope someone can help you...

Edited by Doreena on 10-11-12 07:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Doreena

With animals at a shelter I'd likely stick to paper. It's inexpensive and hair doesn't stick to it.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to photo_chick

I don't use a backdrop for my dog or cat either. Since they move around alot or napping, lol. Mostly outdoors shots for me. But if I had to use a backdrop. It probably be a bedsheet or maybe one of those paper roll backdrops.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-12-12 05:27 PM
In response to justartguy007

I don't use backdrops at home with my dogs either but this is in a shelter full of kennels and its pretty difficult to come up with alot of different solutions to cover the chain link or wires.I am ok with the cats as I can take them out and place them on a short table and use a cardboard to hold up any of my materials I can use but the dogs can be a problem.Still working on it.I have one backdrop I use but that one is getting boring to look online week after week.Thanks.

Veteran
In response to Bev1

I love backdrops from dennymfg.com, but they can be pricey and I wouldnt put the animal on it so the flooring would have to be good for the animal to sit on.

for a shelter, paper is probably easiest. I think its like $40 for a large roll, a bit cheaper for stuff that is not so wide which will probably be good enough for animals.

another option is to get some of those large 4x8 white boards at lowes *$42 here* and put that over the paper so you only have to clean the board instead of tearing up the paper as it gets dirty. its slightly reflective to which adds a cool effect to the images.

If you have the money, you could get a large sheet of plexiglass to put over that so it will be that much more reflective! But a sheet big enough is going to not be that cheap.

In the past I just had a white sheet for a background and a seperate white sheet on the ground and in photoshop I made it seamless and cleaned up any dirt spots on the floor sheet. but the wrinkles are hard to prevent.

I think usually pet portrait photogs have a good background setup and a prop to set the animal on or a nice wood flooring that compliments the backdrop. I seen one at the animal store with a ton of props, like a mailbox, a classy chair, etc.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics