Username Post: Adhesive??        (Topic#1472671)
Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B

When buying school supplies for my son, I noticed that the glue sticks were Acid Free. I've never used glue sticks in my albums. Is it safe to use on the papers (I always use photo stickers specifically for my photos)? Does it hold up?

scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan
In response to Jessica G-B

I've found that over time with glue sticks my layouts come apart, even with tape runners some of my layouts fell apart.

I finally broke down and got a ATG gun, we'll see next year if all the layouts I've done are still together!

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to scrappinjan

That's what's so frustrating to me! I've tried a tape runner and a year or two later, everything is in pieces again. Generally, I use photo stickers for just about everything because they stick REALLY well. But was wondering if there was something out there I just didn't know about. Thanks!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Jessica G-B

There was another recent thread about this.

I'm not sure there is any issue with the acidity; it has more to do with the stickiness.

Glue sticks will stick NOW, but in a relatively short time, the glue will dry out and the page will fall apart.

Not worth it. Don't use glue sticks.

ToriElizabeth
Expert
ToriElizabeth
In response to Bxr-Linda

yeah.. glue sticks don't stick for very long.
but, tape runners come apart fast too?!
i haven't heard anything about that. is it certain kinds, or brands or anything?

kathscrapper7
Pro
kathscrapper7
In response to ToriElizabeth

The ATG gun tape is used by framers to mount prints etc. and I have found it the best by far. I love it for adhering ribbon!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrappinjan

• scrappinjan Said:
I've found that over time with glue sticks my layouts come apart, even with tape runners some of my layouts fell apart.

I've never heard of problems with tape runners.
What kind are/were you using?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've had problems with both glue sticks and Herma tabs consistently falling apart.

I'm now using the adtech glue runner. I've been using them for about a year with no problems so far. *fingers crossed*

gayle3131
Idol
gayle3131
In response to scraprabbit

I don't use glue sticks as they seem to be "wet". I probably use to much.
Glue Dots stick well and if it ever is in stock again I will buy a bunch of 2 sided tacky tape, it's awesome!!!!!!!

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to gayle3131

I love my Glue Dots and terrifically tacky tape they are the only things I really use.

scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • scrappinjan Said:

I've never heard of problems with tape runners.
What kind are/were you using?

I used ad tech from Wal Mart

Edited by scrappinjan on 08-12-08 01:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to gayle3131

• gayle3131 Said:
I don't use glue sticks as they seem to be "wet". I probably use to much.
Glue Dots stick well and if it ever is in stock again I will buy a bunch of 2 sided tacky tape, it's awesome!!!!!!!

I get my tacky tape at J's or M's or Bev's. I can use 40% off Coupons on it there!

Tenant
In response to Seaexplore

Am I the only one that uses acid free rubber cement? I haven't had problems with any of my LOs falling apart, even after most of my albums being in storage in dry Utah for a year when we moved. Plus, it's the cheapest adhesive I've found and unlike glue sticks, doesn't make your stuff wrinkly. Is there something I don't know about rubber cement that I should be aware of?

Rebecca

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to rebeccarichards

I had problems with tape runners and glue sticks and finally picked up an ATG gun. I calculate that I've saved LOTS of money with this.

Tenant
In response to provinca

This may be a dumb question, but I'm fairly new, so....what's an ATG gun?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• rebeccarichards Said:
Am I the only one that uses acid free rubber cement? I haven't had problems with any of my LOs falling apart, even after most of my albums being in storage in dry Utah for a year when we moved. Plus, it's the cheapest adhesive I've found and unlike glue sticks, doesn't make your stuff wrinkly. Is there something I don't know about rubber cement that I should be aware of?

Rebecca

I've never heard good reviews long term using Rubber Cement. I've not used it but my mom used it on a scrapbook she made for me when I gradutated high school (10 years ago) and lots of things have gotten discolored.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• rebeccarichards Said:

Rebecca

I used it for a while when I first started. I didn't really have any problem with it. There is artist-grade, acid free rubber cement, so I assumed it was okay.

The ladies I scrap with gave me all kinds of grief for it!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Bxr-Linda

I don't care for glue sticks - they tend to clump. I still love mono-adhesive/double stick tape - and haven't had any problems.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 08-29-08 05:36 PM
In response to SmartyPants

My very favorite adhesive is the Fiskars photo splints. They are awesome! My WM quit selling them though and now have the Scotch brand. I haven't tried those yet but when I run out of the Fiskars brand I will probably try Scotch . When Fiskars went on clearance I stocked up for awhile.

I did use a glue stick on my first LO or two. That was 2 or 3 years ago and it is still stuck together! I do like the control of it but that is the only times I have used it. I now use the photo splints on almost everything!

One other type of adhesive I use is the ZIG 2-way glue pens. They are great too.

I do use the xyron X for letters and small objects I cut with my Cricut but it isn't my favorite adhesive. I also have some Zots that I use occasionally.

Hope that helps!

Edited by LeeLo on 08-29-08 05:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics