Username Post: attaching paper to chipboard books        (Topic#1492563)
jebred
jebred 
Tenant
jebred

what do you use? i used glue sticks for the last two, but it takes a lot of time and glue. tried the acid free modge podge for paper crafts but it kept getting absorbed by the paper and chipboard...ruined a piece of paper and chipboard. help please!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to jebred

I like my Xyron cheetah. it is a little like a big huge dot runner (2 inches wide)

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Nancy Keslin

liquid glue and paper don't mix. try the adhesive runners

Edited by GTGW on 01-14-09 06:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Just G

Mod podge works well if you prime the chipboard first (I use brown acrylic paint). Let it dry. Then do a LIGHT coat of mod podge on both surfaces and let dry slightly before pressing them together. Let that dry, then do a LIGHT coat over the top. Let it dry and repeat as many times as you want. If you do 10+ coats, you get a laquered finish that seems almost like acrylic.

Cindy

cidscraps
Idol
cidscraps
In response to cindy312

I too use the mod podge for paper and have great results, I do usualy paint them first as Cindy said though

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-14-09 08:22 PM
In response to cidscraps

I love Scotch photo splits. I use them for everything scrappy, chipboard books included. They are very strong and a great bargain for how many you get for the price. You can find them at Wal-Mart, Target or Michael's. I use them for everything--paper, photos, and some embellies.

If I'm not using those for chipboard albums, I'm using my Xyron 900, but only if complete coverage is needed.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Ami G

If it's just a small piece of chipboard, like an embellishment, I use mod-podge and it works fine for me (I modpodge the chipboard, turn it over on the paper, let it dry under something heavy, and then cut it out with an exacto knife). However, for a whole board book, I used spray adhesive. Spray adhesive can be really messy. I live in an ancient house with a gross carpet, so honestly I just put a sheet of paper down and let the overspray go all over the carpet. It's mostly vacuumed up now, but just put down a couple square feet of newspaper and it's pretty easy to clean up.

mustangkayla
Guru
mustangkayla
In response to annoniemous

I love my Tombow for the board books I do. It's easy to go around the edges and hold really well.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-16-09 05:59 PM
In response to mustangkayla

I use the Tombow mono glue. I love it because it has duel ends. The top is a fine tip & the bottom is a angled applicator great for chipboard!

Mono Multi Liquid Glue

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Foamy

I haven't tried modge podge, but these are my favorite adhesives:
Products Referenced in This Post:

moviegirl
Resident
moviegirl
In response to Luvmyfam

I used spray adhesive on mine. I did it outside to minimize my clean-up b/c it can get messy. I held the cardboard with tweezers and sprayed it with adhesive, then pressed it onto the paper. I trimmed the edges with a craft knife then sanded the edges.

andtyler
Guru
andtyler
In response to moviegirl

I use the cheetah.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to andtyler

I did three books for Christmas gifts. I used Zip Dry on them all and it worked beautifully.
Products Referenced in This Post:

sunnyrc2001
Expert
sunnyrc2001
In response to BlingQueenRia

I use mod-podge or zip-dry

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to BlingQueenRia

I did 15 word books for Christmas and used the mono glue as posted above, which was wonderful. After about 7 I figured there had to be a better way, as it was time consuming to cover the entire chipboard. So I tried spray adhesive and it worked great.

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to sunnyrc2001

mod podge is what I've found best. I prime the chipboard as well with an acrylic paint and then I do mod podge on the chipboard, set it upside down on the paper and put something on it to make sure it dries super flat. I usually let it dry for a couple of hours. I then use my craft knife & sand & ink the edges.If you want a super shiney acrylic look you can cover your papered chipboard with UTEE & melt it.

Another method I use when low on time is my Xyron s. Depending on the size will decide which Xyron I use obviously. I run the chipboard through it, put the chipboard on the paper & then use my craft knife & sand & ink the edges. I dont like this method that much because the edges get guymmy with adhesive. I prefer mod podge because its alot cleaner & holds way better.

Reeluvs2crop
Veteran
Reeluvs2crop
In response to Diva Scraps

I use the Xyron because I like complete coverage when putting paper over chipboard wordbooks. Its just better to me, but after reading I think I will try the modge podge method now!

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to Nancy Keslin

Where can U find refills for it? Do they still make refills for it?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics