Username Post: Eyelets & the Crop-a-Dile        (Topic#1524671)
KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva

So with some of my Christmas money, I bought a Crop-a-Dile. Just looked like an awesome tool. That said, I'm having issues with it - despite seeing YouTube videos about how to correct it. On the C3 setting they state for 1/8 eyelets, the back of the eyelets split. After watching the videos, I switched it so it's at C4. However, my eyelets are still splitting a bit. Is this supposed to happen? Could it be the brand of eyelets I'm using? I picked up MM packs on clearance. Perhaps that was a mistake?

I love the idea of the Crop-a-Dile, but I need it to work right! Especially since I make bookmarks and cards - I can't have messed up eyelet backs, it just looks ugly.

Anyone have any sage advice? Does the Crop-a-Dile II Big Bite work better? Are there better brands of eyelets that I'll need to order online?

TIA!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KCScrapDiva

Until I read that you make bookmarks, I was going to suggest that no one cares what the back looks like...have you considered attaching the eyelt, and then attaching a back layer to the bookmark? doing that would also add an extra layer of support to the bookmark.

I often botch up using the crop a dile. mostly I go on a wing and a prayer. course maybe I should read the instructions some day

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Tina scraps

The back of eyelets are supposed to split and look like a flower.

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to Bxr-Linda

Ooo, I like the idea of adding an extra layer to the bookmark. Snaps! Thanks for that, Tina.

Linda - even at the C3 setting, they weren't looking like a flower. Unless one that was shriveling up! LOL But thanks for that tidbit. I'll play around a bit more.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I don't have a crop-a-dile, so I can't comment on that.

I have found some eyelet brands that simply do not set well. Some are too hard and some too soft.
I use a hammer and setting tool. Some just squish flat without "flowering" on the back.
My favorite eyelets are by Making Memories.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Bxr-Linda

Is it possible that you are squeezing too hard. It only takes a light squeeze to set eyelets with the crop-o-dile. That was something that I had to get used to after using other eyelet setters.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Luvmyfam

My suggestions:
1. Maybe you're squeezing too hard? Yes, that's possible. It doesn't take very much pressure.

2. Are you punching first, then adding the eyelet? When I first got mine, I tried just doing the eyelet (I didn't read the instructions well enough to know you were supposed to punch first) and it turned out disasterously.

HTH

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to angie girl

Yup, punching first! But... hmm... Perhaps I'm squeezing too hard. I'll have to try doing it oh so lightly and see what happens. I've done it too light - the eyelet was loose in the hole - and I think that probably led me to squeezing harder. Off to check that out now!

Legomom
Expert
Legomom

I agree with the squeezing too hard.. I did that when I first got mine and it came out with all types of results. I would try playing around on some scraps with the different brand/styles of eyelets you are using.
The extra backing for bookmarks is a cool idea.. just think of it as another canvas to decorate on!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics