Username Post: Copyright Question        (Topic#1576195)
New Kid On the Block

Okay so on the Stampinup Angel policy it states this: Each craftwork created for sale must be personally and individually hand-stamped by the selling artist and may not be reproduced or copied in any form by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying.

I'm a teacher and wanted to hand-stamp, hand color and then scan into my computer to decorate an activity that I wanted to sell. Even if I put the stampin up copyright information on there, since it is going into my computer and could be printed does this make this a no-no? Any ideas on how to modify so that it wouldn't be a no-no? Thanks for the help!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to whatsthetruthgeorge

Please take my comments in the fun way they were intended. I think it's funny that a TEACHER is worried about copyright law. Most of the teachers I've had were always breaching copyright laws with some of their course material. I asked a teacher once about teachers breaking copyright laws, and he said, "we just don't talk about it."

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaspernonyx

Well, if it was for my own classroom needs I wouldn't be too worried about it BUT I plan on selling this material online and don't need stampinup sending me legal ugliness.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

No you cannot use the stamps if you plan to copy and sell the material. Look for free clipart online.

tchk 
Tenant
  • tchk on 05-09-12 10:23 AM

There is no way to make this not a no-no. And, SU will come after you.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tchk

Absolutely illegal, as much as many of us wish it weren't

If it were for your own personal use, I'd suggest simply writing the company and asking permission,,but since you plan to sell it, the answer would be no.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

You can get around the whole thing, according to that angel policy, by simply hand stamping and hand coloring each and every stamp for each item you plan to sell. But you may not scan one colored item, print it and use the copies on the items to sell.

Cross_ 
New Kid On the Block
In response to jaspernonyx

• jaspernonyx Said:
I think it's funny that a TEACHER is worried about copyright law. Most of the teachers I've had were always breaching copyright laws with some of their course material.

Copyright law (at least in the USA) has Fair Use exemptions which includes education. That's why it is completely legitimate for teachers to copy a page from a book and give it as a handout to students. The OP on the other hand mentioned making something available for sale and thus no exemptions apply here.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics