Username Post: Punches sticking, foil hasn't helped.        (Topic#1581861)
Tenth
Tenth 
Tenant
Tenth
  • Tenth on 10-19-12 06:07 AM

Hey, I'm kind of a lurker around the forums, but I've recently run into an issue with a couple of my EK Success slim edge punches. I love them and used to use them frequently, but haven't in a while, so they've been sitting in the locked-close position for maybe a couple of months. Now when I try to use them (a couple of different designs, not all) they stick in the closed position and it takes some pushing against the actual die to get it to pop back open.

I've already tried running aluminum foil and waxed paper through the dies to see if there's any improvement, but it hasn't seemed to help, and if I squeeze them with no paper or cardstock in cutting area, it's like I can almost feel the dies "catching" a little bit. It seems silly to think that something could have been bent out of place by them sitting in a drawer for a couple of months, but that seems to be the case. Has anyone run into something like this before?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Tenth

I have had a couple of these punches stick...my husband had to fix them. I had to take one back to Michaels because it wouldn't cut. I have now been sticking with Stampin' Up punches. And I think SU punches are made by EK but Stampin' Up does A LOT of quality control!!!! I haven't had a bad punch yet and after having THREE in a ROW of bad punches from Michaels- it is so nice to have a punch open and close easily!!! And if you ever have an issue with SU ANYTHING>...you contact your demo!!! Since I am a demo, I contact customer support....I have been overwhelmed at their response!!! My girlfriend got a pack of paper with a splot on one of the sheets, she chalked it up to a piece that she would have to cut up to use. Couple of weeks later, SU sent her a new pack of paper because they had found out they had a bad batch and replaced the ones that people had preiously ordered....she hadn't even complained!!!! SERVICE!!!

Also there are a lot of edgelit dies coming out that are replaces some of my edge punches. I love those. I am starting to get those, they take up much less room than punches!!!
I hate to say it but I think some things just don't have the quality we need and want!!!

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to binkiemonstermom

It sounds strange, but try putting it in the freezer. Then repeat the waxed paper and the aluminum foil again. I used to teach punch art classes way back when and used this trick for sticky punches often.

Edited by Becky in OR on 10-20-12 01:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Tenth

If all else fails, one other thing you might try is a product called EZ Tool Cleaner followed by another one called Cutter Glide. I have not used them, but they are supposed to be good for all kinds of cutting blades, including punches. I will try them the next time one of mine gets stuck.

Let us know what you finally get to work because I think this is a fairly common problem for a lot of us from time to time.

Tenth
Tenth 
Tenant
Tenth
  • Tenth on 10-21-12 05:42 AM
In response to Ms. Fit

Thanks for the replies! I'll try the freezer trick first and look into the other products if that doesn't work and give everyone an update.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics