Username Post: Best Cup Holder for Crops?        (Topic#1591751)
AmyChick
Veteran
AmyChick

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a cup holder for my next crop and was wondering which I should get - the ScrapMaBob or Creative Memories Sidekick? I see the CM is discontinued (and more expensive) but it looks like you can still find them on ebay, etc. So, is there a reason to choose one over the other? TIA!

ScrapMaBob vs CM Sidekick
ScrapMaBob
Creative Memories Sidekick
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 10-25-13 05:49 AM to 10-31-14 05:49 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.
Products Referenced in This Post:

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to AmyChick

They are both pretty similar. I found it hard to vote since I have never used the non-CM one.

I do have the CM one. I think the cup holder itself may be a little smaller but it is solid and there is a slot for a mug handle.

The trash attachment is shaped differently on both of them. On the CM one, it is close to you if you mount it on your right. If you are left-handed and want it on the left, you need to drop your trash over your drink into the trash. That is assuming you use the trash attachment.

But if not left-handed, the scrap-mabob has the trash sticking out so if that will affect your real estate, that is something to consider.

So how do I use my sidekick?

At home - cup holder only. I don't want to spill anything on my table I put my trash on my table in a small cup for little items and will just toss larger pieces into the trash can on the floor. Paper trash goes into paper recycling.

While at a crop, I do add the trash attachment. One less thing on my table. They do have trash cans at crops but not always one per participant.

If you do want actual measurements of the CM sidekick, let me know. I can give you the diameter and the cup holder height.

Oh, and if you see the CM cup holder while shopping - the blue plastic one, I would not recommend it. The plastic one is HUGE and is made of hard plastic. Drop that puppy and game over. Also no trash attachment so less versatile.

After all of that, I would go with what is readily available and least expensive. They both do the same thing.

ETA - I just watched the video on here. Hmm, the CM one is a little more stable as it has a solid base and the sides are perforated metal with one slot. If you go for the scrapamabob, add a solid coaster on the bottom. I usually have wine glass in mine and there is no issue holding a wine glass in the CM holder.

Edited by corrie fan on 10-25-13 05:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to corrie fan

I can't scrap without my scrap ma bob. I just can't. I have 4. Yes I did say FOUR.

I have one permanently attached to my scrap table at home and one on my table in Florida at my condo. I also have 2 for crops. I bring them everywhere. LOVE it.

Makes me scrap NEATER.

Expert
In response to PhotobearSam

I have the CM one and really like it--but would have no problem getting the one here if I ever needed to replace it. A scrappy friend of mine has the other one and seems to like it. My only complaint is that there are tables out there that I've not been able to attach the CM one to because of the lip on the edge. Sometimes I can maneuver it around the lip, but not always...and then I'm really annoyed because I do rely on the trash can just as much as the cup holder.

In the end...the cheap frugal woman in me can't see spending the extra money for the CM one when something similar is available.

AmyChick
Veteran
AmyChick
In response to HuskerMom98

Thanks so much everyone for the input!
The only thing I am worried about with the scrapmabob is the place where the cup rests is not solid and I was wondering if cups (or wine glasses ) would fall through the slits. Guess I could always make a flat support for the bottom....

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-27-13 07:42 PM
In response to AmyChick

I use one of those insulated cups that has a screw on lid with a straw and doesn't leave condensation. If I knock it over, it doesn't spill. I had never even heard of these before now.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Vae

I'm with Amy Chick on the cup issue. And in my crop supplies, I keep several of those brown paper lunch sacks. I just tape one to the edge of the table for my trash. When I'm done, I just wad it all up and toss it.

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to dwelch

love my scrap a ma bob! Can't scrap without it. The bag is extra long that allows for you to fit plenty of scraps and trash before having to dump it out. Cup holder is great too because it allows for handled and non handled cups/mugs to rest in there....

Edited by suznut on 11-19-13 01:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics