Username Post: Die Cut Machines        (Topic#1593713)
New Kid On the Block

Hello!

I recently purchased a Cricut Expression 2 on a whim, which I do not usually do. I had a project to do and was only really familiar with the Cricut name and the store only had Cricut on display. I was not unhappy with the machine itself, but became aware of the Silhouette Cameo and started doing some research.

Unfortunately, it looked like the Cameo may have been a better fit for me, not being a hard core crafter and not wanting to purchase lots of carts. Then, out of the blue, I discovered there was a new Cricut coming out called the Explore and it appears to be similar to a Cameo?

I am so confused and running out of time to get a refund on the Expression 2 if I were to want to get a Cameo or Explore. I don't craft enough to justify having multiple machines. I am having a hard time understanding all the technical terms and features of the machines.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~J

Edited by shojen03 on 01-23-14 08:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to shojen03

Seeings as the Explore is new, not even out yet, it is kinda hard to actually compare the 2 - but I would go with the Cameo. I have all but 1 of the Cricuts and I have the Cameo.
Hands down, if I was forced to only have one, it would be the Cameo.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ChansGram

I know it's hard to say. It looked like maybe the Explore was supposed to be comparable to Cameo- have some of the same functions.. I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff! Thanks for the reply!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to shojen03

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM also!!!I like my cricut but I recently heard about the silowet cameo (bad spelling oops) but it is too late for me to take it back!!!! what is the differecnce???
thanks,
mg

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mindygail

Well, one difference is that the Silhouette Cameo is made by a company that's been making this type of cutter for years (and is a subsidiary of a company that has been making this type of cutter, on a larger scale for business and industry use, for literally decades), and the Cricut Explore is made by a company that fails to deliver on their promises of all the great stuff their machines will be able to do, and which has a history of obsoleting their own products in a rather brief amount of time.

ddcmsmom
Veteran
ddcmsmom
In response to shojen03

I've been using the Silhouette SD (which came before the Cameo) for about 4 years now. I love it, and based on my experience with it, I'd get the Cameo. My sister got a Cameo a year ago, and she's been very happy with it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ddcmsmom

I did a TON of research before purchasing my Silhouette Cameo. At first, I thought the cricut was the go to option because I've been hearing that name on youtube videos for forever, but once I started doing research, I realized that the Cameo was by far the best option for me.

Primarily because I can cut all of my own graphics files, plus I can buy if desired anything from their Silhouette Studio online store for usually .99 cents sometimes less. Whole font packages are only 3 dollars and are often on sale for less AND you can use your new fonts in ANY application!

Also, I signed up for the Silhouette premium subscription plan, so I pay 16 dollars a month (I bought it at their new year sale normally it is 19 a month i think) and I get 150 dollars in downloads per month and it rolls over if you don't use all of it.

If you aren't into collecting lots of expensive cartridges, I would take the Cricut back and get a cameo!

good luck!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to thatchej

I agree that Provo Craft's record of new product launches is that the product does;t work as promised. If you need it for a project I think the safer bet would be the Cameo. While there is a chance you could have problem the Cameo has been around long enough with a good enough track record that the kinks should be worked out.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to jaxxan

ditto- cameo all the way!
my cricut mat gets all unsticky!(that make any sense not even a word)

lemondropmemories
New Kid On the Block
lemondropmemories
In response to mindygail

So far, the Explore IS working as promised (they have a new CEO, you know, and he is amazing at keeping his promises and doing his best to make sure the company keeps its promises)

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Well, one difference is that the Silhouette Cameo is made by a company that's been making this type of cutter for years (and is a subsidiary of a company that has been making this type of cutter, on a larger scale for business and industry use, for literally decades), and the Cricut Explore is made by a company that fails to deliver on their promises of all the great stuff their machines will be able to do, and which has a history of obsoleting their own products in a rather brief amount of time.

I'd buy the Cameo!

Edited by lcalderone on 04-10-14 12:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

paperkrafter4life
Tenant
paperkrafter4life
In response to lcalderone

I don't want to be hooked up to a computer do that enough anyway so am sticking with my
Cricut Expression and my Gypsy.
I love Cricut......

I also started buying cartridges on ebay way way back when and got them all cheap, I have 225 in my collection so can cut anything I need..........and also enjoy helping others out if they need a certain cut................no charge.

Edited by paperkrafter4life on 07-23-14 07:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to paperkrafter4life

I agree with aquabunny and papercrafterforlife. My Cricut has been my go to cutter. I have never liked the idea of connecting my cutter to a computer. Cricut has been both good and bad to it's buyers. If I call them with a problem they will pretty much fix it. BUT their launches for new stuff is too soon and they never get the bugs worked out.

That being said IF I buy another cutter (and that means my Cricut died) a Scan N cut will be what I will purchase.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics