Page 1 of 10 
Username Post: CLOSED/CREATING Altered Ceramic Tiles        (Topic#1579709)
Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

Hi! Thanks for checking out my swap! This is my first attempt at hosting, so please bear with me. If you notice anything that I forgot or you think of something to add, please let me know!

I had a box of 4" white ceramic tiles layout around after a bathroom remodel, so I decided to see what I could do with them! The first thing that came to mind was to incorporate altered tiles into my new craft space. How fun would it be to have inpsirational pieces from several people scattered about? So, that's where this swap developed from!

TILES: You can use any color or style of tile you find. The only condition is that it must measure 4" x 4" square and it must be ceramic. You can easily find these tiles at most hardware stores. Home Depot sells 4" square ceramic tiles individually - $0.13 for white, $0.48 - $0.58 for colors. Of course, you might also have some laying around from a DIY project!

BASICS: We will be altering these tiles as decor pieces. That means they should be 3-dimensional. Please use good quality embellishments and give your best work. Each tile should feature at least 5 techniques / embellishments. Of course, this is just the minimum. Let your imagination run wild!

QUANTITY: This will be a matched swap. You will get back the same amount that you send in. You must send in at least one tile for each category you sign up for. You may send in more, but please limit it to three tiles for any given category.

PACKAGING: You are responsible for making sure your package arrives safely. Keep in mind that ceramic tiles can break. Please put each tile in a separate bag labeled with your name, SB.com name, and category. Use packing peanuts, paper, bubble wrap, or other packing material around the tiles and in between them. I will try to reuse the packaging you send your tile(s) in. If the packaging is thin, please include a bubble envelope. Make sure to include a return address label.

DUE DATE: In light of the beginning of the school year, I am going to keep this swap open for a while. Sign-ups will close on September 1st, 2012. All tiles must be in my hands by October 1st, 2012. I will have all tiles swapped out within a week and on their way back to you.

POSTAGE: You can either send postage with your tiles (include the amount it cost you to send it plus 3 additional stamps - any extras will be returned), or you can PayPal me the exact shipping cost at the end of the swap. PM me for the mailing address and paypal address if you don't already have them.

Examples:
Altered Tile - Flight of the Butterfly By Melissa Birlem

Altered Tile - RIP By Melissa Birlem

NO FLAKERS please! I am asking everyone to check in at least once a week to let me know you're still with us. If you need to drop out, just let me know.

I will put a smiley next to your name once your package arrives.

Categories:

ATC Style (show us what you've got!)
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
3. Anna (Provinca)
4. Tocarra (crafty_lefty)
5. Sassie
6. Rhonda (YourScrapAttack)

Halloween - Creepy and Gory
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Scrappy_Day
3. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
4. Sassie
5. Michelle (Molson)

Halloween - Fun and Cute
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Michelle (Molson)
3. Anna (Provinca)
4. Tocarra(crafty_lefty)

Autumn / Fall
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Ms. Pebbles
3. Scrappy_Day
4. Anna (Provinca)

Creators:
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Ms. Pebbles
3. Scrappy_Day
4. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
5. Sassie
6. Michelle (Molson)
7. Anna (Provinca)
8. Toccara (crafty_lefty)
9. Rhonda (YourScrapAttack)

Edited by Melissa Birlem on 10-09-12 09:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles
In response to Melissa Birlem

Hey Melissa!
Put me down for Fall for now!

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem
In response to Ms_Pebbles

Hi, Ms. Pebbles! Thanks for joining!

Expert

This sounds fun! I made coasters for Christmas with these tiles so I have some left!
I would like to sign up for the Halloween creepy one and the fall one! Thanks!

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem
In response to scrappy_day

Awesome! Welcome Scrappy! Adding you now.

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

Scrappy, what did you use to coat the top in order to use it as a coaster? Did you use all flat embellishments? I think that's my problem!!! I have a hard time using only flat embellies!

Expert

I just put Christmas scrapbook paper on them with flat embellishments and then coated everything with mod podge. When that was dry, I sprayed them with clear spray paint and then put cork on the bottom. They turned out really cute. Everyone loved them. And they made cheap little gifts.

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

That sounds cute!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping

What's that I hear calling me? HALLOWEEN-CREEPY and GORY & ATC STYLE! Oh yeah!!!

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem
In response to i heart scrapping

Hi Bonnie! Thanks for joining! You knew I'd have to make something creepy!

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

• scrappy_day Said:
I just put Christmas scrapbook paper on them with flat embellishments and then coated everything with mod podge. When that was dry, I sprayed them with clear spray paint and then put cork on the bottom. They turned out really cute. Everyone loved them. And they made cheap little gifts.

That does sound cute!

Expert
In response to Ms_Pebbles

Melissa, we are neighbors!
I see you live in Milwaukee, WI. I live in Racine, WI - which is about 30 miles away. I guess when I am done with my tiles, it won't take that long to get to you!

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

Scrappy, that's awesome! I actually go to Racine a few times a month. It definitely shouldn't take long to get to me! Do you go to the scrapbook store in Oak Creek?

Expert

I do!! In fact I was just there on Friday! ha ha I also work in Brookfield so it is kind of on my way home. Well I guess I MAKE it more on my way home!
Is it ok if we do more than one tile for each category?

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

LOL! I taught a class at My Paper Playground in July! Perhaps we could meet there for a crop one of these weeks!?!?

Of course, you can make more than one tile, but I ask that you limit it to 3 per category. Shipping these tiles can be tricky and the more tiles in a package, the greater chance there is for breakage.

Expert

I thought you meant the store on Hwy 100 - The SCrapbook Store! I just googled My Paper Playground! OMG!! I think I might have to stop there soon!
There used to be another scrapbook store that was in Oak Creek years ago. I didn't know another one opened! Cool!

Expert

And I would love to meet there for a crop!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

ill take 1 in halloween gore - I cant pass up anything creepy ..

scrappy i wanna come with ya & crop to. You bring your googies i'll bring mine - - wed make a store of our very own LOL

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

I haven't been to The Scrapbook Store in years! I like My Paper Playground though. It's a small shop - she just opened it earlier this year - but she's friendly and reasonably priced! They have some great classes too.

Melissa Birlem
Guru
Melissa Birlem

Sassie, you must have been typing the same time as me earlier! Sorry I missed it. I'm adding you now! Thanks for joining us.

Page 1 of 10 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics