Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: ~*~February Design Seeds Color Challenge~*~        (Topic#1584535)
GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Back by popular request from the players. The 2013 Design Seeds Color Challenge.

Basically, it's an open ended color challenge where the rule is simply that you have to include EVERY color in the palette in some way on your project.

It's easy play - no pressure, no voting, no front page updating. It's a low impact forum! Just post by the end of the month and we'll see what happens.

Use the photo itself as an inspiration to a twist.

Here's our February inspiration. Enjoy the play!

beck_bear
Diva
beck_bear
In response to GentlewoodFarms

love these colours, i will have to think about the twist though, i'm in

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to beck_bear

Let's see --

I see fabric, leaves, gooey stuff, a glass jar (or vial), stitches, food, layers, folds...

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F

Love these colors! I'm in!

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to Tracy F

I commented on the January challenge but I thought maybe I should leave a note here. These colors will work great for the photos I'm scrapping for my parents' trip to Alaska. For Christmas, I told them I would create a scrapbook for them. So far, I'm only a month behind..

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

Creating an album is a work of the heart. I had so much fun doing my darling nephew's first year baby book, my "sisters" Italy mini book for my mom, and my dad's heritage book.

It's a LOT of work, but when you're doing it for someone you love, it's also a lot of fun.

klweist
Diva
klweist

Pat, that is so true. Maybe that's why I have procrastinated so far. I am excited but I want it to be my best work because they deserve that.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

Well, Kelly, here's something to think about.

People who do not scrapbook have absolutely NO idea how much work is involved, so you can KIND of get away with "not your best" and instead do "just good enough." You're going to have to really move to get an album done, and if you keep thinking "best" or "perfect," two things are going to happen.

Thing 1 is that you're going to end up spending more money than you expect.

Thing 2 is that you're going to second guess every decision you make about everything you are doing.

If you're working against a time constraint - you want to have the album done by a certain date - MY advice is to do this.

#1. Get a pile of sketches. Maybe go to PageMaps and choose a month. Do every sketch in the pile. Stay as close to the sketch as possible because the work is already mostly done.

#2. Get all the paper layers and basics glued down for all the pages. I call this step the "skeleton" because it's the foundation that the rest of your page is built on. Get ALL the skeletons done for the entire album. That way, you're not dealing with embellishment decisions one page at a time.

#3. Once your skeletons are done, you can put away your paper trimmer and papers and ruler. Then you can pull your major embellishments out - flowers, flourishes, chipboard, etc. Get those put on your pages. I call this step the "muscles."

For MOST non-scrappers, this step is the "good enough" stage, and you'll have a lovely album done in a decent time frame.

#4. But you also have the option now, if you have time left over, to do the final "skin and makeup" step which is all those small detail embellishments - bling, stitching, metal bits, tags, stickers, brads... etc.

Now - if you aren't working against a time constraint and you want to play each page of your album in the challenges forum here, that's a different thing altogether. I did my darling nephew's album that way - one page at a time, playing them as I went. It was more fun, but I still had to REALLY hustle to get it into my brother and sil's hands by his first birthday.

klweist
Diva
klweist

Thank you SO much! That is great advice and I think I will use it. I may take some time and play some of the pages here. I always appreciate your wisdom and years of scrappy experience.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to klweist

Oh, Pat. I have a question. What do you do when you get to the muscle and skin part and realize the embellishment might look better tucked under the skeleton? Do you try to lift up glued down paper or revise your plan? I'm a "straight-lines-and-lists -make-me-happy" kinda gal. Scrapping already stretches me, creatively. That's one aspect of it that I love.

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to klweist

great colors!! I'm in again!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to klweist

• klweist Said:
Oh, Pat. I have a question. What do you do when you get to the muscle and skin part and realize the embellishment might look better tucked under the skeleton? Do you try to lift up glued down paper or revise your plan? I'm a "straight-lines-and-lists -make-me-happy" kinda gal. Scrapping already stretches me, creatively. That's one aspect of it that I love.

Kelly, when I make skeleton pages, I only glue down the middle part of the papers so that I can tuck things in when I get to the embellishment stage. Then when I'm all finished I go back and glue everything down better. Hope that helps!

PamStewart.Iowa
Mayor
PamStewart.Iowa
In response to Tracy F

Wow! What great advice and would work so well -even on digital.
I'm hoping to do this one this month.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to PamStewart.Iowa

Thanks Tracy...that is very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. As my 10 year old dd would say...'DUH'! I will definitely use that advice.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

• klweist Said:

For starters, I don't glue the edges until I'm positive that I'm happy.

But yep. I pull up what I can and stick it under. If that's not completely possible, I'll try trimming the piece that's going to go under until it's just BARELY under. And if that won't work, I trim so that they butt up against each other and lap something over the seam.

I know it might be easier to plan it all ahead, but that sure seems to stifle me creatively.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Tracy F

• Tracy F Said:

Kelly, when I make skeleton pages, I only glue down the middle part of the papers so that I can tuck things in when I get to the embellishment stage. Then when I'm all finished I go back and glue everything down better. Hope that helps!

GMTA (great minds think alike)

under5feet
Diva
under5feet

I found this challenge really challenged me and it came out so pretty. This is a fun one!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to under5feet

Thanks...

It was a fun one in my head, so I was hoping that others would think so too. Glad you are happy with your last project!

Miss CA
Mayor
Miss CA

I'm going to try and get this one done this month. I didn't get Jan's done but still might if I find the right papers.

Thanks for the great insight on how to do a whole bunch of LO's Pat. I need to do about 200 zoo photos and I'm going to scrap them that way. Thanks!

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to Miss CA

Happy Friday!!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics