Page 1 of 6 
Username Post: VCW #234 - Riding out the storms in our scrappy place!        (Topic#1563489)
leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla

Once upon a time, things got quiet here on the weekends, so a thread was started to just hang out and do a virtual crop. Since then it has expanded to run all week long. We have our regulars, but new friends are always welcome, too.
And we miss some of our old friends too!!!!

FAIR WARNING: We may talk about anything and everything. We're women. We chat. You never know what might come up in conversation.

Sharing your recent scrappy work is encouraged, but there are no guidelines for what or how much you have to do.

So come on! Don't be bashful! Just jump in wherever we are, and we'll be glad to get you caught up on what's happening. We never know what we're going to talk about or how silly we will get.

WARNING: Reading of, or participation in, this thread could result in food or drink being sprayed across your computer or sleepless nights ... Just read responsibly.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

bumping this cause it's such great news!

• Kimberly Rae Said:
David got the job at Sears Home and Garden!!! YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • leebla Said:
printing and printing.............

Okay, Elizabeth...I have a question.

We have a color printer now. I was excited at first, because it meant I could print my pictures in the sizes I wanted, WHEN I wanted them, without waiting to order them and get them back. (I refuse to do the one-hour printing thing - tooooooo expensive.)

But I'm also hesitant to get into printing my own, just because of all the ink it would use.

Have you done any kind of cost comparison to see how the two methods compare price-wise?

depending on which printer I'm using and how many times I expected to be driving to and from the store to have them redone because i do not like the way they were printed, it's about the same for me. Ususally it works out to be about 25 cents a 4x6 sheet, and that give me the ability to print as small as 24 1x1 inch photos per sheet if necessary.

Once a long time ago I figured it out, and for me it was, but there are a lot of factors.

First off....if I have a coupon to get say 150 prints for $15 and I can come up with 150 4 x 6's I want printed....I do it. No bones about it, can't beat that.

However, here's all my factors, you weigh them to your situation. I think it depends highly on your brand of printer/ink.

I use Epson pretty much exclusively. My printer has 6 seperate cartridges so if the yellow runs out, I only change that. If yours has one tri-color cartridge, save it for special situations.

As ink cartridges go, Epson are amongst the cheapest, but best quality. I frequently buy direct from Epson, I actually get the best price on it, and if you buy 3, the shipping is free, so that comes right out of your cost equation. Also, I usually have it the next day, 2 days max, so unless I am really pinched, there's no gas or driving. If I'm not getting it from Epson, I usually get it at Staples. For my old printer Sam's Club carried the ink. Saved a bundle on that.

Liz and I both recycle our ink cartridges at Staples. We get $2/cartridge store credit. I almost always put mine toward ink or paper. Office Max has a similar program.

It also depends on your photo paper. Here I am a snob. I use Epson paper almost exclusively. For me I am the happiest with the prints. If I use anything else, I actually use Staples brand. I've had good enough results with it to suspect it possibly comes from Epson. Although the jury is currently out on a box of Staples photo supreme satin paper I opened yesterday. Not sure i'm liking it.

I watch for sales. Staples does buy one get one free, or half-price sales a couple times a year. When that happens I go buy 8, 10, 12 boxes at a time. If they do the sale as a "rewards rebate" I then use the rebate to buy more paper.

Epson also has sales on photo paper on their website, and shipping is often free on that too, especially if I order it at the same time as the ink.

Now, take my current batch of prints. I think I'm at close to 200 prints. If they had all been 4 x 6, nope, probably wouldn't have been worth it.
But I printed 14 8 x 10 pictures, and probably 25-30 5 x 7 pictures, and then about 8 pages that had 9 different wallet prints on them....
I also printed some in 3 x 5

I don't have any idea what photo centers charge for those sizes anymore, but I'm betting I make out there.

I can tell you that with all of those pictures, I think I changed one complete round of ink cartridges, BUT at different times, so that's not saying what I printed before that, and I'm certainly not emptying them. 6x$19= 114

rounding UP on the paper
4 x 6 = 2 x 9.50 = 14.25

8.5 x 11 = 2 x 15 = 30

so $162 all told

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Oh, a word on Epson.com.....

I don't ever pay extra for special shipping.
The standard shipping is free, and it is almost always here the next day anyway. Occasionally it's taken 2 days for paper.

And a word on Staples....there is a significant difference in price on their ink online and at my local store, especially if you buy multiples. It also comes almost overnight.

Edited by leebla on 08-27-11 06:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to leebla

I generally only buy my ink when Epson has a 15% off sale, too. And if I need specialty paper, I wait for the 40% paper sale. Last time I ordered, I got 200 sheets of 13x19 paper for $40.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to moxiegirl23

you're right, when I ordered my 8.5 x 11 it was 40% off so really it was 18, for the 2 packs

and truthfully, the multipack of colored ink is cheaper, and I didn't deduct the $2 we get from Staples, which is why I have haven't recalculated it in a long time, cause I just spent the last hour doing this, looking up others prices, and actually counting my pictures, and looking at my printer to see that I didn't use nearly a full round of ink.....

curse you Jenni!!!

Edited by leebla on 08-27-11 07:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to leebla

I have to go to the laundromat to wash several large items today. Everything will take forever to dry since it is humid.

Then I'm going to my mom's to remove her very extensive collection of pigs from the wall in the room that will be mine when I move in with her next month.

I've been selling some of Barry's fishing, motorcycle, eagle collectibles on Ebay. Mom wants me to sell some of her pigs that way too.

Elizabeth since you sell on Ebay you may know this, can I make another user name on Ebay (this little piggy), keep the one I already have (kinderjoy) and use the same email address for both?

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to NMlady

Congratulations to David, Kim. That's exciting.

tealbrand
Governor
tealbrand
In response to foltzy

dang elizabeth
i jus post on the other tread LOL
anyway i post that you always made my day from
your post i was LOL about all the pics and then no ink

i said hi to jane and jenni
i told jenni i LOVE her avatar,and i told my dd terie i need to comb my hair throw on some makeup
and take a pic she LOL 2

and i congrats someone on her dh getting a job, i have not met her yet i am the newbie
and then i post that i was at evilbay and won some ink stamps
so that it and i am not doing anything beside cooking taco today
we love taco here....

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to tealbrand

Still waiting for Irene to show up. Sky has been overcast all day. Saw a little wind earlier, but other than that...nothing.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy

We got pretty much the same thing Liz. It's suppose to hit tonight and last through part of tomorrow.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to foltzy

woke up to thunder at 3 am and it's been raining since. still not much wind.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla

we even have clouds swirling here.

report says it hit NJ at 5:35 am so you'll see her soon

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Hubby took me to the store last night and got me the ink I needed on our way home from seeing Drew, Mel, and Karson!!!!

What a great evening

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to leebla

oh she has been here for hours.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla

Back to happily printing

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

apparently my hubby has decided that partly cloudy and 74 is a "not very nice day", so we are staying home so he can work on the basement.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to leebla

he can come here and i can show him what a "not a nice day" looks like!!

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Whheeeee....clear up to just past Jamie's first birthday has been sent to the printer!

Now I just need to get it all in the power layout boxes with papers and embellishments and I will be soooo happy!

I have just under two weeks until a weekend crop.

I told Bill last night I didn't think Cindy was going to want to go to Chicago this year and I was really going to miss going and he told me I should go by myself! Wow!

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Weeeeee!!!

I also found the top of my desk!!!!!

Now I think I can set my Wishblade up over here until I get my scrappy room done and I can cut titles as I go for my Power Layouting!

Page 1 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics