Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Monday vent-play nice!        (Topic#1580797)
mizzblue
Guru
mizzblue

just an fyi here that if you have a request of a fellow crafter here at sb.com, please remember to act courteously-maybe send them a private message instead of a public one?? I had some typos in a post subject and thought that the person who brought it to my attention was a tad bit crass. We are all here to play nice together and nice words are way better than sarcasm. Just my opinion....

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mizzblue

Hmm, Funny, I feel the same way...people forget that you can't see tone in a written response, and sometimes they come off snarky and snippy.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Juansmom

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Don't worry about it, some people just have too much time on their hands. No one is a perfect speller.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to t-scraps

That's funny, T-Scraps...I read this and didn't even notice until the second line that the letters were out of order!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Juansmom

If it's the post I'm thinking of, I wasn't trying to be crass, just trying to quickly convey the information (that the subject was falling prey to a programming bug in the forum that makes some subject lines keep increasing in length). If you don't mean your topic in the 2012 Contest subforum, then carry on.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to aquabunny

it matters to me what order the letters are in LOL,,,,,I couldn't read a word that said,,,,,,took forever to work through it,,,,,,,,wonder what that says about MY brain LOL

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CommaHolly

I'm with Holly on that post. It annoyed me so much, I just stopped reading.

I resemble the remark that no one is a perfect speller.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm afraid I'm one of the dying breed that believes that spelling IS important, along with punctuation and grammar. It shows that you care about your audience, by making what you have to say easy for them to read. However you're right, OP, it is equally important to be kind about it.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

It is important to a certain extent.
As long as the "message" is clear and concise then spelling errors and or grammar does not mean much IMHO. This is not a formal forum and I personally find it rude for people to point out other's mistakes. One must also remember words, spelling and meaning may differ depending on country and region.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to HisGEM

Again, if she's referring to what I think she is, the error in question wasn't even an error, it had nothing to do with spelling or grammar - it was one of those threads where the apostrophe in the subject line had started glitching and the code expanding with each new post or edit, which eventually leads to stretching out the entire forum's layout. It wasn't an issue of typographical errors or anything she was personally at fault for (I let that kind of stuff go ALL the time), her thread had merely fallen victim to a known forum glitch and she was the only one who could fix it.

My message, in its entirety, was "PLEASE edit the title of this thread, it's stretching out the entire forum." Which is terse, because I was trying to quickly communicate the problem and how to fix it, but I don't see how it could be considered "crass". It wasn't crude or nasty; there was no swearing or insults. The only thing I see that I did wrong was caps-lock the "please"; would it strike people as less rude with just that one change?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to aquabunny

I mean this with no nastiness in my tone (sine tone can be misconstrued) just for clarity.

Aquabunny, I was not referring to any particular thread nor was I referring to you. I was merely talking about ANY person who feels compelled to point out grammatical/spelling errors. This does happen often on this forum!

I understand putting punctuation in the subject line. It does mess up the rest of the forum. I was asked nicely to change mine. So I don't think anyone was pointing directly to you. I can speak for myself that I was not.

Edited by HisGEM on 10-02-12 09:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mizzblue
Guru
mizzblue
In response to aquabunny

unfortunately, I deleted the message so I have no idea who sent it, but if this was you, I still stand by my words about playing nice. Yes, the CAPs placement did offend me (and would've offended others as well)and being in a hurry doesn't excuse it. The rest of the message had underlying tone as well so we'll just leave it at that since I wanna be done with it. I just felt if you would've written it how you are explaining now, this never would've been an issue. I personally would be afraid to correct one's grammar or punctuation here for precisely this reason, especially if I knew it was a computer glitch, but that's just me and especially since the post was just for me to use. As the mom of a special needs child, I have a lot of patience but I don't have much patience for grownups who wanna rap my knuckles in a scrapbook forum.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to mizzblue

Perhaps an explanation of why would have been nice? I didn't see the original post so I don't know that it didn't. Just a suggestion.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
I'm afraid I'm one of the dying breed that believes that spelling IS important, along with punctuation and grammar. It shows that you care about your audience, by making what you have to say easy for them to read. However you're right, OP, it is equally important to be kind about it.

I agree 100%.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Bxr-Linda

And sadly-for some people being nice is a dying breed...

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to DittoBabyGirl

• DittoBabyGirl Said:
And sadly-for some people being nice is a dying breed...

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

We need a "like" button in here lol

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie

I must smile. I'm always amazed at just how nice everybody is here. Maybe it's just because I spend a lot of time on political forums where people are out for blood. Most folks I've met here are consistently supportive and friendly. Then again I do my best to be nice too and not make grammatical errors!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Sonsie

For the most part everyone is nice. I stay faaaaar away from any polictical conversations though lol

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie

• DittoBabyGirl Said:
For the most part everyone is nice. I stay faaaaar away from any polictical conversations though lol

I enjoy a good slugfest now and then, just not here where I really enjoy the peace and supportive nature of most people. It brings out the best in me

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics