Username Post: Get Organized Week 17: Punches        (Topic#1587253)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 04-22-13 10:08 AM

Not the boxing kind, though you may feel like knocking them out of your space right now.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 08-05-13 11:40 PM
In response to Kels

I wasn't using my punches regularly before taking the challenge. Now, when making a layout, punches come to mind (they never used to). I can check what might work in a minute or two and it's no big deal (or ordeal).

Just today, I found a "sticky" punch that needed some TLC. I pulled some extra, extra fine sandpaper from my "distressing supplies" bin, punched a few shapes out of it and felt the improvement. I added a short squirt of WD-40 to the mechanism, punched images until there was no sign of oil residue on the paper, and my punch was now as good as new. The whole process took three minutes max. No more "sticky" punches on my desk waiting for me to give them my attention "someday".

What changes (if any) are you going to make to this area of your studio? How are you coming along with the challenge you chose?

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Jill

I LOVE my punches, and I keep them well maintained by punching through aluminium foil and waxed paper, which does the same job as the fine grade sandpaper and WD40 I suppose. Punching sandpaper is an interesting idea though - beach LOs anyone?

They all live together in a shallow drawer and they are all accessible. I have just the one corner punch that I don't like and never use. It came in a pack of two on clearance, and I wanted the other one. I ought to get rid of it really.

So no significant changes for me there.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-06-13 08:12 AM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I don't have many punches, but they're a problem. The sizes and shapes of them are so vastly different that it's hard to figure out how to store them well so I can see them. Plus, as a group they're heavy! Not sure what I'm going to do with these yet

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-06-13 08:35 AM
In response to stick

I hardly ever use punches. I have them all in one shallow drawer, but it just doesn't occur to me to use them. My mind automatically goes to the cameo when I want to do a "border punch". The only one I use regularly is my corner rounder. I really ought to just get rid of them all, but I can't let go! LOL

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to Vae

I actually just donated all my punches (I didn't have many to begin with). The only one I kept was my corner rounder, which I use all the time. I use my cameo now if I need something specific. I like the idea of punches, but they are so space intensive that I just don't have room for them. It was actually kind of liberating getting rid of them (and tons of other scrap stuff that I don't use).

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to snoflake517

I like punches and use them quite a bit. I do have a Silhouette (not the Cameo but the SD) and don't always feel like picking my recycling bin (which usually contains a cat) and moving it so I can work with it. Punches are just easier. I keep them in two wire carts on wheels. I have, just today, finished the inventories for them. What I did today is that I put covers with titles on them. I had already punched each one and put the results on a index card on jump rings and then attached those to one of the carts. It will be sitting right next to my crafting desk. It will be very handy. I also did like inventories for my dies and my embossing folders, while I was at it, and stored them in the same area. For some of those I had to include a reference to a location for the product since I have to store them in a few different places around my room.

Puches and Inventories By KatieJo

Punch Storage By KatieJo

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

As for how this whole challenge is going along... not as well as it had been. I think I've lost my drive a little. It doesn't seem like I'm making much progress. But I did sweep the floor and move some empty containers and things look some better.... I think I am coming to the realization that the look of my room won't be changed as much as the way it functions.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to KatieJo

Well that has to be good too Katie, right? If you use your things more efficiently then the look of it is less important. Your punch cart is lovely!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Thank you Rosey for the cart compliment. I do think my room is mostly functioning better. I made a card last night and it seemed to go together pretty easily and products and tools came out and went back into place really nicely. Huh... there might be something to this....

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to KatieJo

I don't have very many punches so
I keep them in the same drawer I keep my ink.

Cherene
Idol
Cherene
In response to dorichatelain

I have all of my small punches in a shallow drawer unit - think back 10 years to all those cute little ones

Fast forward to now and all my boarder punches and most used punches are in a metal drawer that is fairly deep and just piled in there. I don't like it but haven't found a better way to store them in my space.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to Cherene

My punches are pretty well tamed, I have them in three shallow metal drawers laying side by side. Easy to see and easy to withdraw to use. I had already gotten rid of a dozen of those tiny little punches I first purchased then never used. You know, the ones I wish I now had back!!
I use border punches the most.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics