Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Online safety        (Topic#1456453)
fuzzlekins
Diva
fuzzlekins

I'm wondering what you all think about this subject with regard to posting your LOs here. I'm always careful not to show any identifying info, but I still sort of wonder about online safety with regard to posting pics. It's not something I really do anywhere else on the web. Has anyone had any issues with it? Any thoughts on it? Just curious.

Coolbunny
Veteran
Coolbunny
In response to fuzzlekins

I try not to post my last name or exact location.

However, its important to remember that if someone actually wants to find you....they will. It sounds scary, but its amazing how many people out there can track IP addresses, email accounts, etc. I also try not to save any banking information on the computer.

I am actually more scared of identity theft....all someone needs is a thrown out bank statement (that is why my DH and I are getting a paper shredder before we throw out our bills). Since they are acting as "you", "you" can be liable for a number of things....and proving it wasn't "you" can be near impossible.

So I guess in regards to safety, i.e. some crazy guy sees a pic of someone on a LO and starts stalking you....I'm not really too worried. I guess I'm more worried of real life (non computer) stuff that could happen (getting robbed, etc.).

Either way, I don't think people have to be super scared about posting their LOs.

Edited: I should add I don't have any children...so I don't know if my attitudes would change if/when my DH and I had kids.

Edited by Coolbunny on 03-16-08 09:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sovip
sovip 
Pro
sovip
  • sovip on 03-16-08 09:18 PM
In response to Coolbunny

my husband doesn't like me to post pics. of his face, he's kinda weird.

Anne1701
Mayor
Anne1701
In response to sovip

i had thought about blurring out my granddaughter's face when I post my layout. But as Coolbunny said I'm more worried about things in real life. I do try to be careful about location and last names. I will blur out last names. I just recently did this with a mini album I made and posted.
Actually several years ago when I tried the online dating stuff, I had someone try to stalk me. Didn't fly with me and as I reminded the person I have two grown sons

fuzzlekins
Diva
fuzzlekins
In response to Anne1701

Yeah, it's such a crazy, scary world we live in. So unfortunate. My husband has had his identity stolen at least twice that I recall. It's a bit of a pain but we had no problem having everything removed. The first time, the thief charged up 10K in new credit card accts within a couple of days. It's ridiculous the things that go on. I was also stalked by an ex-boyfriend once. Thankfully it didn't last long. My primary concern of course is always my dd. I've considered blocking out her face but that would completely ruin the LOs and she's the center of all my scrapbooking. I've just stuck with the no identifying info tip up to this point. I have seen other people on here cover faces though. It's made me wonder.

Luv
Luv 
Veteran
Luv
  • Luv on 03-16-08 10:53 PM
In response to fuzzlekins

I'm new to sb.com so I can't really comment on any safety issues. However, as crazy as this may sound, I feel very comfortable posting my pictures/LO's (working on lo's at the moment) on this website.

I was browsing through the gallery earlier and I ran into a few LO's that had the faces on the pictures all blurred out. I was confused. But, I guess it's a personal thing. And I respect that.

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to Luv

I guess it is a personal thing. I was kinda freaked out about this a few weeks ago. MY daughter was being curious with kids in her class they were each google searching their names. When it came to my DD turn my blog from here came up!!! The blog was about her but it totally FREAKED ME OUT!!! BUt like someone else said if someone really wants to find you THEY WILL. I still feel weird when I think about it.??

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to mOm23girls

I am careful about using names. I try to avoid using my name on stuff online. My photos are there though. So if someone finds me they can see my photos. I don't do a ton of photos of me though. I guess each person does thier comfort level.

SCRAPPY ONE
Veteran
SCRAPPY ONE

Hi I am new to sb and are about to load my layouts but i keep getting a little freaked out.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to SCRAPPY ONE

I have no problem with it. I used be on the staff of a science fiction fan club as a contact person for a good chunk of New England. My information HAD to be out there for people to have, so it cured me of any fear I might have had. I did lay low for several years because I didn't want my ex-husband to find me, but now I don't care about that either. I got sick of hiding. My info needs to be out now because of my current businesses so I'm rather open about it. And if anyone wants to stalk me, my husband is a retired Marine, I live in a secure building and I'm very familiar with what to do to get a civil restraining order here in the state of NH as well as how to defend myself and my child. I'm not worried at all.

I don't post much because it's a PITA to scan and stitch my LOs and I have a lot of othet demands on my time. If I had more time or LOs I only had to scan once, it would be different.

Edited by moxiegirl23 on 03-17-08 01:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 03-17-08 11:21 AM
In response to moxiegirl23

I was stalked long before I went online. I had my credit card info stolen from a local business file. If it is going to happen, it will whether you are online or not!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Keys

I don't consider myself as super paranoid, but this is a tiny concern for me.
You'll notice the layouts I've posted here are of my dogs.

I also agree with the other posts; if someone wants to find you, steal your information, or harass you, they can in other ways.

Along the line of this post ... anyone ever see that episode of CSI where the woman was claiming her son was kidnapped?
Turns out it wasn't her son... she had copied photos of this boy she found online; photo edited herself into the pictures (like a snapshot from the beach), and was claiming it was her son.

I know it's fictional, but scary!

Tanya71
Guru
Tanya71
In response to Bxr-Linda

If you'll look in my gallery you'll see a mix of blurred and not blurred layouts. DH would rather I blur. I think my kids are more at risk living in a small town where everyone knows someone who knows someone (seriously... people I don't know at all know my children by name in the grocery store, at Church, etc). I can't figure out what I really want to do... so some days I blur faces and some days I don't. I *do* blur the faces of children who are not mine unless I have permission from their parents to post.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Tanya71

Maybe I'm careless, but I go with if someone wants to find you they will. I just don't worry about it on this site I don't have anything out there to worry about. I like my work, I like to look at other people's work and there are probably a lot more interesting website for people looking for trouble.

charmaine furman
Pro
charmaine furman
In response to scrap4brains

I agree, if someone wants to find you they will no matter what. Also, I don't think that you are ever completely safe. I went to the DMV to get my drivers liscense renewed and a week later I recieved a letter from the state of MO saying that the DMV that I had gone to had been robbed and all of the info from that day had been taken! I mean that's a government office that know everyone's business!

That being said though, I do feel safe here on sb.com !

MomWolf
Idol
MomWolf
In response to charmaine furman

I cover up last names, and in the case of my lo of my dd's birth, I covered up the birth announcement that I filled out for the page.

Someone did hack into my eBay account and made an unauthorized purchase. Thank the Gods that it was cleared up and I wasn't charged for the item. But like one of the other ladies said, you can take all the precautions you want and if they want to steal "you" they will. Sad, but true.

Amonika
Expert
Amonika
In response to MomWolf

I do everything in my power to protect my identity and my kids. In my LO's anything that could show our last name, location, anything that could point to our privacy I have covered with black boxes.

I also never say my DH's name at all.

Edited by Amonika on 03-17-08 04:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lovemy2girls
Idol
lovemy2girls

• mOm23girls Said:
I guess it is a personal thing. I was kinda freaked out about this a few weeks ago. MY daughter was being curious with kids in her class they were each google searching their names. When it came to my DD turn my blog from here came up!!! The blog was about her but it totally FREAKED ME OUT!!! BUt like someone else said if someone really wants to find you THEY WILL. I still feel weird when I think about it.??

This made me curious. I googled my name-apparently there's a famous historical romance author with the sme name. If I added my state, it showed my phone listing, address and all. I googled my dd's names with my state. One is a plastic surgeon and one is a broadway star. The phone number for me is a little worrisome, but I guess you can get that from anywhere-the phone book even.

I don't list my last name or personal info., but I don't blur anything out. I am careful not to post anything that I think would give away our identitiy though. And whenever I post other children's pics (like if they're in the photo with us) I be sure to ask first or not post it.

lovemy2girls
Idol
lovemy2girls
In response to lovemy2girls

Did anyone see the news show (20/20 or Dateline I think) where the cop was finding teen girls online that thought they were safe and knocking on their doors and talking to them and their parents. It was very scary. He was in an online chat with teenage girls. He found them based on things like the pictures they posted and the things they talked about even though they never gave away any personal information. I believe one girl he had narrowed down where she lived, then she was complaining about losing her soccer game that weekend and how the other team acted and mentioned the other team's ugly jersey color. The cop looked on the soccer association website, found the team in that age group that played when she said they did, then saw who their opponent was, looked up the schedule for the next weekend, went to the field. The girl had said something that gave away her position on the team, he followed her home, boy were her parents shocked!! I think it made a good point, you can try and try, but "they" can find you if they want to-maybe unless you don't get on the internet period for anything.

Nancola
Angel
Nancola
In response to lovemy2girls

Isn't it a shame that we even have to discuss and worry about this.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics