Username Post: "Crop" Group - advice required        (Topic#1473177)
WendyG-SA
Diva
WendyG-SA

Hi Ladies, I've found myself in unfamiliar territory and in need of advice from you pros out there.
I've been struggling to find a crop to join at any of the LSS here in Durban, South Africa because my style is so different to the trends here. I eventually got fed up and decided to start something of my own. I've invited about 5 friends who iether already scrap or are interested in getting started to get together one evening a month to scrap and chat.
Just so you understand my predicament, I've only been scrapping for approximately 18 months so I'm relatively new to the hobby.
The first evening is next week Wednesday and so far we discussed and agreed to the following
- The hosting responsiblities will be rotated amongst the participants
- We'll set monthly challenges for fun
- Each participant will make a small contribution every month towards buying expensive tools that can be shared by everyone.

I really want the first evening to be a success so is there anyone out there who can offer advice on hosting these type of get togethers or have any other suggestions to make the evening fun for all?

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to WendyG-SA

First of all...relax. Think of it as a group of friends getting together to share something you all enjoy. It sounds like you're putting extra pressure on yourself by calling it an official "crop" and trying to make it perfect.

I really think you have a great start already. Friends. A plan to do some kind of challenge. (I like that idea!) Maybe until the group is able to buy "group" toys with your combined money, you can coordinate certain people to bring certain tools so you don't have a lot of people bringing duplicates when they don't need to. k

And don't forget food. Preferably including some kind of chocolate.

WendyG-SA
Diva
WendyG-SA
In response to c-leaper

Thanks for the advice Jenni.
I used the term "crop" very casually because I still haven't got the hang of all the scrapping lingo on this site and have no idea what the term for " a bunch of gals getting together for some wine, junk food (including chocolate of course), gossip and scrapping" is. Maybe someone can help with that too!!

Edited by WendyG-SA on 07-28-08 01:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to WendyG-SA

A crop is the correct term, I would say. I don't know about buying the tools together though because who gets them when people stop coming and stuff. I will promise you that eventually someone will fall out with someone and it'll be a mess. I would recommend you just bring what you have and plan to share while together. I hope you get a great group going, it's so much fun to scrap that way!

chattycat
Expert
chattycat
In response to DivaDana

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Love the monthly challenge idea. One suggestion I have is to make sure you have enough space for each person. I like to work on my own folding table (I think it's a 3x5ft) and when I have one here at my house I put all the tools on a separate table a little off to the side and sometimes in an adjoining room so we're not too cramped.

We always bring a dish and do kind of a potluck and of course m&m's are a given.

Hope you have a great crop!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics