Username Post: Punch wall hanger (storage)        (Topic#1475917)
melissa_1959
Pro
melissa_1959

I have seen people use hanging shoe pockets for large punches and I've seen the Crop In Style Punch Pal for small/medium punches. The former is cost effective ($9 at Lowes) the latter is cost prohibitive ($35-45 online).

I think I'd like to sew my own -- or at least a smaller version for my medium and smaller punches. (I've looked at the jewelry hangers and they don't look like they'd work because the pockets aren't poofy enough.

There has to be a trick to making the pockets kind of pouchy-poofy and then I'll want it to hang straight and not fold into itself with the added weight of the punches.

Does anyone have instructions for something like this or has anyone made their own and can offer some tips? Or even an idea of where I can get something like the smaller Punch Pal at a much cheaper price?

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to melissa_1959

I'm thinking a horizontal pocket for a dowel rod might keep it from folding in - depending on the weight of the punches, you might need more than one dowel. Pouchy-poofy pocket might have stretch sewn in at the top - maybe elastic? Are you going to use that flexible clear plastic sold at fabric stores? If you use non-see through, you could punch and then use that to indicate which tool is where. I've never seen a Punch Pal, but I assume it has a hanger? Would a wooden suit hanger work at the top or would you need two hangers to help it hang evenly?

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to okiegrandma

if you are looking for a pattern to sew, check out the baby nursery patterns from simplicity, mccalls, butterick, etc. they have wall organizers that would be perfect. I made one for my daughters room, granted it is only 6 pockets but you could expand that. here is a picture of it...

diaper organizer I made
By Hiscrappergirl

Also, if you watch the sales at Joanns they often have pattern sales for $1-1.99 for a particular brand of patterns over a weekend... It makes it very cost effective!!!

Edited by hiscrappergirl on 08-18-08 07:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to nancyhyland

The clear pockets I use to store my punches is from the Dollar Store.

It's sold in the bathroom section. It's not as big as the shoe organizer ones. It hangs over the door to just above the door knob.

Unless you need something bigger or want yours custom-made, I'd recommend one (or more) of these. The best part --THEY'RE ONLY $1!!

Joda
Joda 
Guru
Joda
  • Joda on 08-18-08 09:13 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Hey Melissa!
Maybe for the backing you can just use a long piece of cardboard or foamboard and just cover that with fabric? Then somehow attach the poofy pockets to that. That might keep it from bowing in. Good luck with this!

Oh and also, why don't you stop by this thread and chat with us sometime...I've been wondering how you were doing!
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14741...

Edited by Joda on 08-18-08 09:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

melissa_1959
Pro
melissa_1959

Here is a picture of the punch pal. The medium/large is on top and the small/medium is on the bottom. This set had to have put the owner back nearly $100 ... and I can't even find the larger ones for sale anywhere even if I did want to spend that much.:

You ladies are so smart! Now I know why I keep coming to this site to ask questions.

If I make my own, I'll use an opaque fabric so the punch on each pocket is a great idea. A dowel rod at the top and bottom might do the trick. That baby supply caddy pattern is something I definitely want to take a look at if I make my own. And yes, I do like the idea of elastic at the top so that it's poofy in the middle but doesn't sag too bad at the top.

I'll have to check out the dollar store before I invest in fabric. I might even be able to modify what they've got to make it work. I'm still leaning toward the Lowes shoe caddy for my bigger punches.

Edited by melissa_1959 on 08-18-08 09:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ

I found the Cropper Hopper ones at a great store for about $6!!! I was so happy!!!

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Croppin4Christ

I'll have to check out the Dollar Tree! I don't have that many punches yet, but I really need a better way of organizing them than in a 12 x 12 clear container that's meant for paper and doesn't quite close! (I just recently got the Threading Water punch, which won't even begin to fit.) THanks for the idea!

Passion Flower Scrapper
Veteran
Passion Flower Scrapper
In response to married05

I have a clear plastic one from Wally World that was only about 6.00

The pockets are excellent for all of my Fiskars squeeze punches, & the bottom row has two extra wide pockets.

I especially love that it is clear so I can see exactly what is in each pocket.

I put all of the same shape in each pocket (for those punches that I have multiple sizes of). I really can't imagine making it for much cheaper when you consider your time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics