Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Oh dear.. someone take my debit card away.        (Topic#1485481)
raindancer
Governor
raindancer

OH geez.. I have really done it. I'm a pretty frugal shopper. I usually spent $100 or less per month on supplies. For the past 3 months its only been about $30 per month. Well.. living in LSS no-mans land is really irritating. I keep getting stuck cause I don't have what I need for each LO. So in the past day and a half I've placed a few orders.. oh man. I've spent about $200. I can NOT believe I did that. I know there are a lot of big spenders here.. I'm just wondering, when you guys splurge on yourself, do you feel this horrible guilt about it? Maybe its cause I spent it all at once that it feels like I did something so bad.. I mean that is an entire week's worth of food for my family for heaven sakes! sigh.

well.. I should be able to get about 8 -2g LOs finished with the paper I ordered. Plus some. I have a rub on fetish at the moment and I really really needed some more...

Well, that didn't work. I'm still feeling terrible about it. Somebody smack me, will you?

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 11-06-08 06:36 PM
In response to raindancer

Don't feel bad. It is good to splurge occasionally. I recently started scrapping my wedding photos and I spent about $250 over the past month in supplies just so I could have stuff I really wanted to scrap with for this album. Everyone needs to do something for themselves occasionally.

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to CASBa

I agree, sometimes it has to be "all about me". We work hard, we deserve it! However....I felt guilty last week for spending just $20 on supplies, lol. Comes from being dirt-poor when my kids were little...I'd feel guilty for spending money on the tiniest thing for myself, and I can't seem to get past it. Oh well. I'll just keep spending until it doesn't bother me anymore, lol!

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to JustLori

I don't feel bad when I splurge...

I am not a clothes, shoes, makeup or handbag buyer
I don't get pedicures and manicures (I do my own)
I color my own hair
I have no other hobby
Dh and I don't go out much

and darn it life is just too short to not do what makes YOU happy

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to gg loves Matthew

It's a hobby and everyone needs one. Maybe you should take up golf - clubs, bag, cart, dues, fees, balls. Or fishing - rod, reel, bait, boat, boat repair, motor, motor repair. How about reading - paperbacks at $7 or more per, hardbacks at $15 or more. Okay, movies - tickets, popcorn, soda. Oh, just stick with scrapping!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-06-08 07:23 PM
In response to johnsusan8

It's okay I'm guilty I spend money on Paper wishes and I just spent 40 bucks in books. Don't feel bad just enjoy your supplies. I know I didn't help did I?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-06-08 07:40 PM
In response to CreativeSurvivor

I totally understand how i feel- I feel bad spending money in general. But me and my hubby work hard, we are trying to save money for the future (we dont have kids yet), and sometimes we deserve to have treats to our self. I dont usually shop for scrapbooking occasionally, but when i do shop for supplies, i do shop hard! I love scrapbooking and making cards so i try not to feel bad in spending on hobby, you know, because thats how i relive my stress.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to Once

There's not much up here except for a Walmart..I don't do much scrap shopping there except for adhesives. (Oh, and I bought my cricut there this past summer) and there's a small craft store that carries scrapbooking supplies . She doesn't have a big inventory and she is kind pricey. So, up here I don't do a lot of spending. I only order online once every couple of months and that might average about $30 to $40. BUT when I go to my sister's (dollscrap) for the weekend I go crazy. She lives about 2 hours from here and we try to get together every couple of months to scrap and scrap shop. She is so lucky as she has a choice of about 6 or 7 great LSS's all within a 30 minute drive from her house! In fact that is what I'm doing this weekend. I have my jeep packed and I'm getting off work early tomorrow to hit the road...so on weekends like this I spend, spend, and spend...wooohooooooooooooooooo

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap

• raindancer Said:
OH geez.. I have really done it. I'm a pretty frugal shopper. I usually spent $100 or less per month on supplies. For the past 3 months its only been about $30 per month. Well.. living in LSS no-mans land is really irritating. I keep getting stuck cause I don't have what I need for each LO. So in the past day and a half I've placed a few orders.. oh man. I've spent about $200. I can NOT believe I did that. I know there are a lot of big spenders here.. I'm just wondering, when you guys splurge on yourself, do you feel this horrible guilt about it? Maybe its cause I spent it all at once that it feels like I did something so bad.. I mean that is an entire week's worth of food for my family for heaven sakes! sigh.

well.. I should be able to get about 8 -2g LOs finished with the paper I ordered. Plus some. I have a rub on fetish at the moment and I really really needed some more...

Well, that didn't work. I'm still feeling terrible about it. Somebody smack me, will you?

You know.....I can completely relate to your thoughts. I remember being a small child, watching my mom and her "penny pinching" methods. It truly "framed" who I am today. We could never afford anything unless it was payday, we ate "Whataburger" (a Southern burger food chain) only on payday, and the worst thing I recall.....she NEVER bought one single thing for herself. Who am I as an adult?? I never had children....didn't want to "go down that poor road and deny them things". My husband and I did better than we ever thought we could esp. at our ages, and I still feel guilty about indulging even when I can afford it and pay cash. Ask yourself this? What do you want your children to emulate? This is just my experience; not imposing upon anyone else's.

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia

• gg loves Matthew Said:

I color my own hair
I have no other hobby

I'm with your Gina.....maybe with the exception of an occaissional clothes/shoe/makeup shopping...and am very frugal when I do and only because I work in an office and need to have proper office attire.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

• gg loves Matthew Said:

I color my own hair
I have no other hobby

this is me to the "T" !!
and we never go to the movies, dont drink or smoke. HOWEVER.... i have 3 DGD's - which i spend a good chunk on... but that doesnt count right?? we were talking about spending on ourselves!!!
The only thing we spend for ourselves is eating out, unfortunetly, we do that very often.

Swirls R Pretty
Expert
Swirls R Pretty

• gg loves Matthew Said:

I color my own hair
I have no other hobby

This so me.

sankie1987
Pro
sankie1987
In response to Swirls R Pretty

i feel gulty some times but then i think... its my money and if im not going to make my self happy i cant make anyone else happy either

oo and bc i have some many health problems i need a stress reliefer w

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to gmanscrap

• gmanscrap Said:
  • raindancer Said:

You know.....I can completely relate to your thoughts. I remember being a small child, watching my mom and her "penny pinching" methods. It truly "framed" who I am today. We could never afford anything unless it was payday, we ate "Whataburger" (a Southern burger food chain) only on payday, and the worst thing I recall.....she NEVER bought one single thing for herself. Who am I as an adult?? I never had children....didn't want to "go down that poor road and deny them things". My husband and I did better than we ever thought we could esp. at our ages, and I still feel guilty about indulging even when I can afford it and pay cash. Ask yourself this? What do you want your children to emulate? This is just my experience; not imposing upon anyone else's.

Oh gosh! I reread this when reading the other posts, and thought: That sounds horribly arrogant. I'm really not that way, and did not mean that to come off as such. All I really meant was......YOU DESERVE IT!! Don't beat yourself up any more. I guess it just took me back for a bit, and I wanted to quickly defend. Sorry!

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 11-07-08 06:47 PM
In response to gmanscrap

Well gmanscrap ... I did not take it as arrogant - made me remember my mom and her ways..my dad says "she could pinch a penny till Lincoln cried"... and you know what we all have experiences growing up that shaped us and yes some of them may not be things we like the best about ourselves...your insight into your past is refreshing. Some people are too busy or scared to reflect on why something might be the way it is...so hats off to you...

jazzescrapper
Governor
jazzescrapper

• gg loves Matthew Said:

I color my own hair
I have no other hobby

If I didn't know any better I swear you were talking about me, except hubby and I don't go out at all...he works six 10/12 hour days. Sunday is our ONLY family time and he likes to make the most of it with all of us.

I used to feel bad but then went through a phase where it was ok. Hubby bought tools every week so I bought scrap supplies. Now I feel guilty not because of price but because I have SOOOO much and don't use it all.

~*~Kathie~*~
Diva
~*~Kathie~*~

• gg loves Matthew Said:

I color my own hair
I have no other hobby

Me too, me too!!! Thank you, Gina, for the enabling. I'm going to the Super Store now to place my order that I've been struggling with all evening. Should I? Shouldn't I???? Sure I should!

I think we all have these feelings.

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis

Are you kidding? I'm the worlds worst right now. It's a sickness I do believe. I do demos and teach all the time at LSS and I can't get out without pulling out the debit/credit card.

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to Debby Lewis

You all are so insightful and amazing people. I feel better already.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to Patti Sylvia

I haven't scrapped a ******** thing in almost 6 months and I just spent $60 today. I feel so guilty, if the store weren't 80 miles away I would take it back! (Okay, maybe not the Pink Zutter cutter, or the BG paper, or the Black Magic paper, but definently the package of K & Co stickers, but why waste the gas for for $4?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics