Username Post: Boy embellishments        (Topic#1490439)
New Kid On the Block

I have a son that I am scrapping for and I am having a hard time coming up with embellishments for his pages. I have used buttons, stars, brads and some ribbon, but having a tough time thinking of anything that isn't frilly. I am a girly girl when it comes to cardmaking and scrapbooking...love the flowers, primas, rhinestones, etc, but what can I use for my very rough and tumble boy? Books or magazines I could reference?

I have a cricut too, so if you have a cartridge suggestion, that would be great. He is only 10 months, so sports related stuff doesn't really apply yet!

Or if you can post your favorite boy page, that would be great too!

Thanks...Mandy!

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE
In response to mstokes117

lots of boy LO's in my gallery if you want to take a look! boy embellies can certainly be more of a challenge...but don't be afraid to use the flowers and glitter and rhinestones...you can make them work on boy LO's.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to JHAWKEYE

I have two boys! Check out my gallery!
You can use flowers! I do!

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to StrawberryPia

I also have two boys and use flowers and glitter all the time! Check out my gallery!

Fortunes Fool
Governor
Fortunes Fool
In response to JayAndXansMom

I have a little boy...feel free to check out my gallery...

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ

• mstokes117 Said:
I have a son that I am scrapping for and I am having a hard time coming up with embellishments for his pages. I have used buttons, stars, brads and some ribbon, but having a tough time thinking of anything that isn't frilly. I am a girly girl when it comes to cardmaking and scrapbooking...love the flowers, primas, rhinestones, etc, but what can I use for my very rough and tumble boy? Books or magazines I could reference?

I have a cricut too, so if you have a cartridge suggestion, that would be great. He is only 10 months, so sports related stuff doesn't really apply yet!

Or if you can post your favorite boy page, that would be great too!

Thanks...Mandy!

Here are many embellies sold here.
My gallery has some lil boy LO's too.
Products Referenced in This Post:

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 12-30-08 11:13 AM
In response to DawnInAZ

I like stitching, inking, and paper tearing all on my sons layouts. He is 13 and doesn't want anything remotely "girly" on his. I have found that use of color is the biggest factor for me in making it look masculine.

scrapishments
New Kid On the Block
scrapishments
In response to DawnInAZ

There are two really easy effects that you can use on a boy-themed page:

One is using chalk ink to make the cardstock or paper look 'dirty'. You can also use the Distressed Ink pads too.

Another neat thing to do is use brown fabric paint on cardstock letters to make the letters look like actual mud!

I'm going to try and post a pic...I hope it works...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii170/shanlv2s ********/a...

I can't get the pic to show up, so here's a link. This is a set that I made using these two ideas. They work really well for boy pages.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

there are some threads around here with more "boy" theme suggestions but for what I remember...

check out the superstore for; stickers, stamps, punches, chipboard...
geometric shapes, circles, boxes, squares, stars, brads, arrows, paisley, etc.

postage stamp motif, puzzle piece shape motif,

nature, animals, camping, fishing, fish, leaves, dinosaurs,

cars, trains, trucks, airplanes, bicycles, skating, skateboards,

toys, rockets, tools,

PIRATES!

ok maybe not the tattoos

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 12-30-08 01:30 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I also scrap for a boy after srappin' for 3 girls. I just can't make myself use girly stuff like flowers on his pages and don't have to I guess since I have girls. Why not make a Book of You to use girly stuff on? I also have a lot of boy pages in my gallery if you want to look. One thing I use on his pages that is fun are the tags that I cut off his clothes when I buy them...some are super cute! Chipboard too! Magistical Memories has a lot of really great chipboard for boys that you don't have to cover.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kiber

Wow everyone, thanks for the ideas. And the gallery suggestions, when you search for boy, you get about a million layouts!! Kristi...what is Magistical Memories and where can you find it. I searched by brand in the superstore and did not find it. Thanks!!

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 12-30-08 01:40 PM

all stores don't carry it, but it is great chipboard!! and I can't give you a link, but if you do an online search you will find it.

mustangkayla
Guru
mustangkayla
In response to Kiber

I LOVE the FP felt shapes. Thay have ben a lot of fun. I use a lot of arrows and ink everything.

dominicsmama
Veteran
dominicsmama
In response to Kiber

I have a 1 year old as of this month and I haven't had any problems finding boy things. Im on a budget so I shop either at walmart, michael's (dollar item or big sales), joanns (dollar items or big sales) and dollar tree. so far I have made about 100 LO of my son and I have about 50 of them in my gallery if you would like to check them out. Things I do is always use ribbon (which doesn't look girly)and ink my pages. I go to micael's and get the .25 paper when it's on sale and use stickers. I also have the cricut and the carts that I use are new arrival, stretch your imagination, and now pooh and friends and mickey and friends. I also buy the dollar stamps and stamp them onto white card stock and repeat the images. I hope this helps!

jeni0071
Pro
jeni0071
In response to dominicsmama

I have 2 girls, but I have seen lots of great boy stuff; Dinosaurs, planes, cars, trucks etc, but there are also some great patterned paper s out there not specific to any one theme, just more masculine colors. Good Luck!

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to jeni0071

I have two boys and I found that distressing really helps "rough it up"! Using colors to embellish and inks help alot! I love the dinos and cars but also because my sons are really into that stuff.. One is 4 and the other is 1! I hope you find what you're looking for!!

ScrappyPrincess
Idol
ScrappyPrincess
In response to ShaylaCreations

I have a boy and mostly scrap him. I use trucks, trains, Animals, a and lots of primary colored things on many of his pages. Feel free to check out my gallery.

Resident

I like the metal embellishments by Tim Holtz .

Type "Advantus Tim Holtz " into the SBC Superstore search field . There are metal game spinners, sprockets, swivel clasps, washers, etc. Lots of "macho" items.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics