Username Post: HELP Crucit Question        (Topic#1504417)
Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife

Hi,

I got a cricut for Mother's Day and I am having problems! The mat is too tacky and everything that I cut comes off the mat curly...do you know what I mean? Can you give me a solution? Thanks!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 05-13-09 09:51 AM
In response to Matthews Wife

Sometimes new mats are overly sticky -

You have a few options

1) use this mat to cut heavy cs or chipboard until it looses some of that tackiness

2) put on some old scratch paper and stick and unstick it until it is less sticky

3)Wash the mat in soapy water and let dry. This will take aways some of the glue as well.

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to Bran

Are you using the spatula to remove the cuts? I find that helps keep my things from curling because i am not pulling them off in an angle

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Thanks so much for the suggestions girls..I really appreciate it!

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 05-13-09 10:47 AM

I find new mats stick WAY too strong on patterned paper . So once you've had your cricut for a while you might find you want 2 mats - newer ones for c/s and older one for pp.

Here is a tip I found that has nothing to do w/ you question but will help you shortly - once the mat gets a bit more used and the paper doesn't stick as easily - I use a brayer to make sure I get the paper "stuck well" so it doesn't move around when cutting.

oh - I thought of another tip - always keep the clear covering on the mat when not is use and it picks up less dust and stays sticky longer - and rotate the mat around when you put it in sometimes so that you aren't always cutting in the same spot.

Andrea

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to ekip2

ALL new mats are way too sticky. They're way too sticky after being "refreshed" or "renewed."

I press mine against a clean tee shirt or something else that's sorta linty but not too heavily linty or dirty. This way the mat will still be sticky but not so that the paper won't come loose easily.

I use an art spatula. For the same price as the Cricut one spatula I have 6 from long narrow to short and wide.

You can later clean your mat with warm, mildly soapy water. Make sure to dry really well after. You'll find your mat very sticky again.

It's a good investment to have extra mats. I keep black paper on one of mine all the time.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Someone posted about this on another website I visit. If you do a search for "Cricut Dan", he has a blog that has a video on how to keep your mats sticky. He says in the video that when using a brand new mat to pat it several times with your hands, then put a sheet of paper on it and take it off 8 or 9 times. Then the mat is ready to use. He says that when you open a mat and immediately put a piece of paper on it you are basically gluing the paper to the mat.

He also says in the video that you don't have turn off your machine to change cartridges, but I don't agree with that as my machine froze up when I did that. I still turn it off to change.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to Castle Scrapper

Thanks for asking the question...I have a cricut and have learned alot from the answers here!

sioux70
Expert
sioux70
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I usually have a couple mats going at one time, thanks for the tip about the black paper, I always need something cut in black.

LilScrappy22
Expert
LilScrappy22
In response to sioux70

My mat was really sticky too when I first got and the same thing happened to me with the paper curling but the more I use it the less it curls. All the suggestions are really great but I need to know how to get my mat sticky again especially since they changed the look of the mat….

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to LilScrappy22

Thanks for all of your answers! I am having so much fun learning about this machine!

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I have run into problems when my mats were new and very sticky! The spatula works great, especially lifting tiny shapes and letters.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Scrapkaty

yeah, happens with new mats, as others have said,,,,

unless its' something very delicate, I generally don't worry about it, and just curl it back the OTHER direction when I get it OFF,,,

I usually have 2 mats going too,,,,,one really sticky one for heavier cs and one less sticky for delicate stuff or thinner paper,,,,,

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics