Username Post: Scrapbook.com Facebook Page        (Topic#1510849)
Tenant

I don't know how to contact the person who is in charge of the Scrapbook.com Facebook page, so I will post what I have to say here....

Last night I joined your Facebook page as a fan. When I went to post a comment, I was asked to give my cell phone number before I could post. This is completely unfair as #1 I don't use my cell phone to access the internet. And #2 I shouldn't have to give out that information in order to be able to participate on your Facebook page. I am removing myself as a fan.

EsteeLynn
Diva
EsteeLynn
In response to scrapstitcher

I just went to the Scrapbook.com Facebook page and left a comment, without having to use a cell number. Could it have been a glitch of some sort? I have never been asked for any information.

sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl

I have not had this problem with the SB.com fanpage. Maybe a temporary glitch?

I did have some other strange facebook stuff happening yesterday and have since become a fan of Facebook Security to lock down my account more.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to sew_crafty_girl

I just posted a comment with no problems. Were you trying maybe to use the SMS feed?

Lydia S
Governor
Lydia S
In response to Nancy Keslin

It might be a pop up! I get them when I go to random pages to leave to comment.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to Lydia S

I am almost sure she has clicked on an add like the IQ thing, it asks for your cell before you can go into it. Hope she comes back to check.

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to DivaDana

That's just weird. I'm never had that happen to me either.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to CatScrapsHere

i think that is a facebook thing - not a sb.com thing. One time i was playing around in FB and I gave my number to one of those "send this to a friend" game and the next month on my cell phone statement, there were several charges amounting to ~$25 in "monthly" ongoing fee. I contacted my cell phone company and blocked this type of "monthly" ongoing fee. They said they get this all the time.

-nc

Drex
Drex 
Pro
Drex
  • Drex on 07-24-09 03:43 PM
In response to Fargomutt

Yes, that's a Facebook thing, not a Scrapbook.com thing. For some reason, they want to verify your identity before allowing you to post - probably a glitch that has to do with their "updates by SMS text messages" service. I think if you have a setting selected where you want to be notified of updates via text message they ask you to provide your cell phone number.

But, this doesn't have anything to do with Scrapbook.com.

Take care,
Drex

Tenant
In response to DivaDana

No, I haven't added anything like that to my Facebook acct. I have not clicked on any IQ thing. I clicked below one of the messages coming through the newsfeed and just clicked comment or whatever button it is. But nothing about that said IQ. I became a "fan" of two other scrapbooking companies, Scrapbooks Etc. and Creating Keepsakes, and the same exact thing happened. I got the same annoying pop-up about wanting my cell phone number and it wouldn't let me post. Talk about very annoying. I'm a "fan" of two other sites (non-sb-related) and neither of those do that on their facebook. I don't do text messaging. So I don't have a setting saying that I want to be notified via cell phone. I access the internet from my laptop. Thank you for all of your responses. I can't believe I'm the ONLY one who has been getting this pop-up asking for my cell phone on Facebook, and I like said, only on scrapbooking-related sites that I've added myself as a fan to. Unless it was a temporary thing that was happening yesterday morning.

Tenant
In response to Drex

I just tried posting a comment again on Facebook. All I did was click on the comment block on one of the newsfeeds. Typed my comment in the little box, hit comment, and I got the same pop-up that says:

"Your account must be verified before you can take this action. Please verify your account."

Then when you click on where it says "verify your account" you get a new box that pops up that says:

"Facebook" up in the corner of the box....

Then "confirm your phone - Facebook uses security tests to ensure that the people on the site are real. Having a mobile phone helps us establish your identity. Please verify your account by confirming your phone here. We'll text you a confirmation code."

Then they have a box with a pull-down menu for your country. And another box underneath that one to put your cell phone number in. (uh, not gonna happen!) and then the "confirm" button.

If you hit the ok button at the beginning, it goes away. But it still won't let you post a comment. Very irritating!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

• scrapstitcher Said:
I just tried posting a comment again on Facebook. All I did was click on the comment block on one of the newsfeeds. Typed my comment in the little box, hit comment, and I got the same pop-up that says:

"Your account must be verified before you can take this action. Please verify your account."

Then when you click on where it says "verify your account" you get a new box that pops up that says:

"Facebook" up in the corner of the box....

Then "confirm your phone - Facebook uses security tests to ensure that the people on the site are real. Having a mobile phone helps us establish your identity. Please verify your account by confirming your phone here. We'll text you a confirmation code."

Then they have a box with a pull-down menu for your country. And another box underneath that one to put your cell phone number in. (uh, not gonna happen!) and then the "confirm" button.

If you hit the ok button at the beginning, it goes away. But it still won't let you post a comment. Very irritating!

I wonder...

And this may be one of those moments when you want to eyeball the one (me) asking a potentially silly question, BUT...

When my MIL joined FB she had a few issues with fan pages and apps because she was new and hadn't completed the entire process. So.... is it possible you're still considered new and there are a few tweeks you still need to make with your FB account and get settled in "their way"?

Tenant
In response to MommaSaid

No, I'm not that "new". I've been posting pretty regularly on there since this past spring. I just decided to add myself as a "fan" to some different places. The only ones giving me trouble with the pop-ups wanting my cell phone number are scrapbook.com and the two mags. I'm a fan of two other places and I don't get the pop up when I post on those. Very weird. I did check all my settings on Facebook, too BTW, just to double-check. Who knows.

Kelly Goree
Expert
Kelly Goree

It's a Facebook glitch, sadly. I'm a moderator for BG's FB page and we're experiencing the same difficulties. I can't even post a "comment" to someone else without having to verify my number too - and I have been able to before. I'm hoping facebook fixes this soon but it seems it's for all "group" accounts but not personal ones.

Tenant
In response to Kelly Goree

Finally... someone who knows what I'm talking about. At least now I know I'm not the only one. I hope they fix it soon.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

So.... Now that you know it's an error on FB's end and NOT sb.com... will you become a fan again?

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to MommaSaid

I am a FB fan and never had this problem either. Hopefully it is just a glitch and will get worked out soon!

Tenant
In response to MommaSaid

If I can't participate in the newsfeeds on there, then no. I've removed myself from a few places as fans because of that. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Also, I noticed that on MySpace, that if you go into your account settings, there's a new tab that says "No More CAPTCHAs". If you click on that, a box comes up that says

No More CAPTCHAs

------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -----
Eliminate CAPTCHAs by verifying your mobile phone.
Please enter your 10 digit cell phone number:
(e.g. 222-333-4444)
Please select your cell phone provider:
- Select Carrier - AT&T Helio Sprint T-Mobile Verizon Wireless Alltel Cellular One/Dobson U.S. Cellular Virgin Mobile Boost Cincinnati Bell

After you submit your cell phone number you will be sent a code that you will need to enter to be free from CAPTCHAs on MySpace on this computer! However, this will free up CAPTCHAs on this computer only, so please do not do this on a public computer.

By choosing to receive mobile notifications from MySpace, you are electing to receive text messages to your wireless device. MySpace does not charge additional fees for this service but you may incur charges from your wireless service provider in connection with receipt of such messages.

*~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~**~* ~*~*~

So it looks like the cell phone thing is trying to invade MySpace as well.

Edited by scrapstitcher on 07-28-09 06:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics