Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How many flowers to a sneeze?        (Topic#1511263)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Good morning! I've read a few posts lately that refer to "sneezes" of stickers and flowers on LO's. While I understand the gyst, I wonder about the finer points. How many flowers/stickers/what-hav e-you do you feel create the sneezing effect? Do you feel that the "too many" mark is hit at five? ten? Is it more a case of having flowers splattered in random spots; so you can have as many as you like as long as they are together?

What are your thoughts?

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to MommaSaid

LOL...whatever I want to put on a LO is fine with me, and I don't consider it a "sneeze"! Sometimes, general people put too many rules or whatever you call it to what makes a LO look good, but scrapbooking is about each person's creativity, so what one may consider a "sneeze" another may consider a work of art!

Usually, when I use flowers (don't use stickers too much), I make a grouping of flowers or I make two groupings of flowers. I don't normally put flowers randomly around my page. I don't have a specific number of flowers that I use, just whatever I think makes that grouping look good. Whether it be 3 or 20.

Edited by Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic on 07-29-09 03:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to StarsNSparkles

Excellent thoughts! Thanks, Stephanie!

Septic
Septic 
Veteran
Septic
In response to MommaSaid

I think it depends on the size of the stickers/flowers on how many tends to work. If they're larger, a smaller number is needed than if they're small. I guess that goes without saying, though.

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 07-29-09 05:21 AM
In response to Septic

A sticker sneeze - to me so just IMHO - was something I did when I first started to sb. I found all these cute stickers that matched my theme and just put them down - wherever there was room.

So it looked like I sneezed a bunch of stickers.

If the embellishments are intregal to the design of the layout and placed thoughtfully and grounded (vs wherever there is space) then they can't be a sneeze. The number of items doesn't matter. The placement does.

Andrea

heynow
heynow 
Pro
heynow
In response to ekip2

I do what I like and that's all that matters.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55
In response to ekip2

I agree with Andrea - I place embellishments based on relevance and visual "weight". I like my pages to look balanced, not "too heavy" on one side or the other. Admittedly flowers and not a favorite, so to my eye it's easy to go overboard with them, but that may not be the case with other folks.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to kdkaboom55

I agree with Andrea; it's about placement. When I think of "sneeze," I think of random placement where there's no attention paid to anything but filling that space. It's not a sneeze when the placement is used to enhance the design, not just to fill any empty spot. Does that make sense?

I'm in trouble if there's such a thing as flower sneeze, though. I love clustering flowers on LOs.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to siameseplease

You all make perfect sense. My gut feeling was that a "sneeze" of anything was the random placement and no real "sense" to it.

Thank you all for confirming that.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to MommaSaid

I agree with everyone- a "sneeze" isn't about number of items, it's about items being scattered all over.

Cindy

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to MommaSaid

how about a picture sneeze??

ah ... aaah ... aaaah CHEW!

Opening Gifts
By JediScrapToo

'cuse me!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to cindy312

That being said......ACHOO!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to MommaSaid

other indicators of sneezes are when you get the feeling the person just stuck down EVERY sticker they had from the sheet. The page has sticker overload.
or when the stickers really look randomingly placed, sideways, upside down, or on top of something important. Like they were just dropped on the page. Sometimes the placement may be the result of trying to cover up a bad mistake (like an ink smear).

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I think that there are no rules and sticker "sneezes" are okay! I don't personally use that technique but it is a valid one and if the person doing the LO likes the look... it's perfect!

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to sweet1

stick-er sneeze-(stik'r sneez) n. 1. a lot of stickers placed randomly all over a project. (can apply also to flowers or photos or any embellishment).

Some artists like it that way..some like them placed grouped together.

The rule is there are no rules. What looks best is an individual thing.

I used to sneeze.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to JediScrapToo

• JediScrapToo Said:

Opening Gifts
By JediScrapToo

'cuse me!

I've done the picture sneeze! I just didn't realize it until now because I contained them in little circles. *sigh* For a couple/few weeks, I was all about getting as many 2x2 photos into a LO as possible!

Example:

Easter By MommaSaid

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MommaSaid

I agree with the other comments.

To me, a "sneeze" would be when the the stickers or flowers are randomly stuck all over the page.

I think embellishments need to be "grounded," and not floating all around in space.

But again, if YOU like it, go for it!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
I agree with Andrea; it's about placement. When I think of "sneeze," I think of random placement where there's no attention paid to anything but filling that space. It's not a sneeze when the placement is used to enhance the design, not just to fill any empty spot. Does that make sense?

I'm in trouble if there's such a thing as flower sneeze, though. I love clustering flowers on LOs.

Exactly what I was thinking.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • JediScrapToo Said:

Opening Gifts
By JediScrapToo

'cuse me!

I've done the picture sneeze! I just didn't realize it until now because I contained them in little circles. *sigh* For a couple/few weeks, I was all about getting as many 2x2 photos into a LO as possible!

Example:

Easter By MommaSaid

I don't consider either of these to be picture sneezes. It looks like the pics were placed there on purpose - not just dropped randomly and adhered wherever they fell.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Bxr-Linda

Way back in the 80s sticker sneezes happened all the time, must have been a very contageous season. I still have examples of it in some of my early albums.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics