Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Making your own page kit        (Topic#1525283)
KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva

A few times I've seen people talk about making their own page kits. I'm curious what this entails. Do you do a sketch of the lo first? Then figure out paper, embellies, etc.? Or no sketch and just pull together things that you think will work? I'm tempted to try this out to see if it makes scrapping a little easier, but having a lo sketch is a little intimidating to me since I've never used a sketch. I always just wing it.

Any thoughts, tips, hints, suggestions, et al. would be totally appreciated!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to KCScrapDiva

sometimes I sketch it out if I have a real strong idea. usually I just put all the paper, flat embellies, pictures and memorabilia together on a plastic guide from my power layout box and go from there.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to moxiegirl23

Somebody here has a really great tutorial on how to put together a page kit. Hopefully they will see this and post, as I can't remember or find it right now. It could be VivianLovesBling, as she has lots of great tutorials in her SB.com blog... but I seem to remember it being a video tutorial, so maybe it wasn't her... I know this isn't all that helpful, lol, but hopefully whoever it is will come on and post the link!

Ms.Schwiet
Queen
Ms.Schwiet
In response to mercytiara

love to see that tutorial. I just put coordinating papers and embellies together. I do add notes on a sketch or scraplift i think wouldwork with the arrangement

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to Ms.Schwiet

here's one that I have saved in my favs:
Making your own page kits

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to Amarilys

• Amarilys Said:
here's one that I have saved in my favs:
Making your own page kits

Thanks! That article was helpful. I might pick up a few storage pieces today when I hit Mike's.

Guru

I've thought about doing that myself but right now I don't have any extra room to store stuff.

Expert
In response to moodymolly

Thanks for sharing that! I've only thought of page kits as a way to minimize (a little) what I take to crops--matching paper/embellies with my pictures ahead of time. I really like the idea of making this type of kit, will have to think about starting that.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to HuskerMom98

I do page kits when I think of it. Seems I have good intentions to do it before I go to a weekend crop, but then the night before I am supposed to leave I'm throwing everything together. Never fails the week before a big crop and someone gets sick or needs extra help with something.
But they are very helpful and an efficient way of scrapping, especially when going to crops.

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 01-16-10 06:03 PM
In response to Legomom

I just started working making all my pp stash into kits - everything that isn't easily stored by color.

For the bigger album projects I am doing, I just bought a new pp stack for each and matched up solid cardstock and whipped thru my alphas to find some thickers that match, etc and I raided my other embellies to find sets of stuff that work.

I am aiming to be down to only stuff that can be stored by color and work on a variety of lo's in my stash - otherwise anything specialized needs to be in a coordinating kit I have created so I use it before I get tired of the look of it.

I am uploading some shots of the last one I put together for DD1's album (ages 4-6 in this book).
It's MME Penny Lane stack, kraft paper for bases, white mats in precut stack, 2 sets sticky journaling spots, 4 sets letters, 1 sleeve buttons, a spinner, some embellies/stickers/diecut s that I have collected for particular events for her. I keep it all in a cropper hopper vertical paper keeper and can just pull it off shelf to work on her book - or take it with me to work on her book. Here's the main pic - I also loaded two closeups in my gallery.

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to daney

Whoa. Love those pink alphas!!! Who makes them? MUST HAVE. Tee hee!!!

I was pulling out my girls' paper for them the other night and saw my specialty papers that I still have sealed up. Think I need to pull them out, as a lot of them are fantastic page frames for a 12 x 12 LO. I think creating a bunch of kits will be a ton of fun! Could probably even make extra alphas with the Cricut while putting the kit together. Oooo....

Can I tell you how much I LOVE this site?? You ladies are so inspiring and I have gleaned SO much from all of you!!! LOVE IT!

Guru

I might just do this myself. I can at least put together PP, cardstock, and a few embellies for some of my pics I have. They can go in my rolling tote so when I have a free day I can go somewhere like the library to scrap where I can spread out over a large table.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane

• KCScrapDiva Said:
A few times I've seen people talk about making their own page kits. I'm curious what this entails. Do you do a sketch of the lo first? Then figure out paper, embellies, etc.? Or no sketch and just pull together things that you think will work? I'm tempted to try this out to see if it makes scrapping a little easier, but having a lo sketch is a little intimidating to me since I've never used a sketch. I always just wing it.

Any thoughts, tips, hints, suggestions, et al. would be totally appreciated!

I start with my pics, and find a base paper that matches. Then I look for a sketch and gather other papers and embellies- and put everything into a 12x12 page protector. It seems tedious, but has saved me a lot of time in the long run. I will put about 20 together at once (and keep them in a 12x12 plastic case)

Much easier for crops too

Guru
In response to lifeinthefastlane

I haven't made it to a crop yet as I'm on the city bus here and most don't end before about 9 pm and I have no way to get home that late ar night. It takes 3 busses to get to the LSS I like and the third one of those runs just once an hour!

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to moodymolly

This is something Ive been wanting to do for years because not having time to pack is the reason I rarely go to crops anymore. As my stash grew and grew I have gone to crops less and less. I need to figure out what to store them in. I think I just want to pair pics with paper and embellies and worry about the sketch or layout when I sit down to scrap.

Does anyone use kits for scrapping at home or just for taking to crops? Does it make it easier to be productive at home with a kit?

Guru
In response to KellyLeigh

I see my LSS doesn't seem to have much going on on Thursday's so I think I'll try to schedule my appointments for a Tuesday so I can go out and use the crop room on Thursday's. The people there are really friendly and helpful so I'm sure I can get assistance and advice when I'm there.

If I make up some page kits I'm sure I can get a lot done that I otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

Edited by moodymolly on 01-17-10 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: To add last paragraph.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to KellyLeigh

• KellyLeigh Said:
This is something Ive been wanting to do for years because not having time to pack is the reason I rarely go to crops anymore. As my stash grew and grew I have gone to crops less and less. I need to figure out what to store them in. I think I just want to pair pics with paper and embellies and worry about the sketch or layout when I sit down to scrap.

Does anyone use kits for scrapping at home or just for taking to crops? Does it make it easier to be productive at home with a kit?

Yes and yes

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 01-17-10 07:57 PM

about the pink alphas - they are from paper studio - which is at HL. I have in silver, pink and green - have gone thru a couple paks already!!! I keep re-buying when stickers are 1/2 off (like this week....)I think they are $2 that way - barganza.

on whether kits help at home - I think they do. I have so much stuff that if I start looking, I can get super distracted just playing with my stash and stuff I have forgotten I had - if I want to get something DONE, it helps to limit the opportunity for that.

I have a short attention span, so putting together smaller page kits is something I am learning to do in steps - one day, I separated the pp into likely groupings, another day I just did CS add-ins, another day would be for alphas - then one day just for buttons or flowers or brads. I could just "park" in one area of my stash at a time that way and feel like I finished something. If I try to do whole kits at once, I get all distracted again - and I run out of steam before I have things at an easy "quit and pick back up" point - kwim? Maybe I am the only one like this, but I doubt it - we all love the shiny pretty stuff we've collected or we wouldn't do it...

Edited by daney on 01-17-10 08:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to daney

Kelly - I'm hoping by making some kits up, it'll be more helpful to me here at home. Some times I just want to dive into a page, but then having to go through everything takes so much time! And some days I have less time, so having a kit around would be ideal.

Oh, and I LOVE your siggy line. Katharine is one of my all time fave actresses (and Bringing Up Baby is one of my top 10 movies. LOL)

Dana, say it ain't so! Only HL?? Bugger. None around here.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

Karen, if you PM me your email, I can send you the doc file that shows what I do...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics