Username Post: What cool stuff can I do with...        (Topic#1531079)
mc_hudd
Veteran
mc_hudd

Gel Medium & Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel? I just got some the other day on my shopping spree b/c I had read about some techniques using these items. Well, now I can't remember what book I read it in!!!

So, do you guys have any cool techniques to share? I would love to hear all of your ideas!

TIA!

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to mc_hudd

I found on Scrapjazz.com a link for repurposing using UTEE.
As well as a general UTEE 'how-to' article.
You might also try over at the stamping forum to see if there are some project ideas there.
I've always been intrigued about UTEE but never took a leap with it.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 03-23-10 08:16 AM
In response to mc_hudd

• mc_hudd Said:
Gel Medium & Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel? I just got some the other day on my shopping spree b/c I had read about some techniques using these items. Well, now I can't remember what book I read it in!!!

So, do you guys have any cool techniques to share? I would love to hear all of your ideas!

TIA!

I use this for adding pics to my lockets, or any charms that you can put a pic in and has a lip around the edge..it's just perfect for that.
Gel mediums are used in mixed media art..there are several different kinds and thicknesses of Gel mediums.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to rtay

You might want to check out Suze Weinburg and her blog, she is the UTEE queen!

I have a few different gel mediums I use for mixed media/art journaling. You can use them for adhering things/collaging them together... "glazing" almost like a judikins diamond glaze... I've also used it on canvas and a modeling paste piece before applying alcohol inks and it helps blend the colors together.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to ScrapperSara22

i have used it for titles. i use a chipboard letter, and coat it with embossing fluid, then sprinkle the utee on it. heat it with a heat gun until it melts, then you can add more while it is still hot if you want it thicker. after it cools, you can slightly bend the letters, till the coating kinda cracks, and it gives a really neat effect. i think i have a lo in my gallery...if i can i will link it to here. haven't done that in ages, so i might not remember how.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to randasue

here is one where i didn't melt it till it was smooth and it looked like water with bubbles. cara meets brennan By [url=http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/108949/view /877977/-1.html]Randasue[/url,

here is the one with the cracked look.
cousins....page 1 By [url=http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 935845.html]Randasue

mc_hudd
Veteran
mc_hudd
In response to randasue

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to check out Suze's blog. I have kind of been playing around w/ the UTEE, haven't messed w/ the gel med. yet though. I also got some fun flock & it's the coolest stuff ever! I feel like a kid on Christmas day!!!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to mc_hudd

I love to use UTEE on a stamping technique that I don't remember the name of. take a stamp of your choice, put some pigment ink onto a piece of cardstock in a shape big enough to fit the stamp size. Sprinkle the UTEE onto the ink pot and shake off excess. Then heat with embossing gun till melted and glossy. While still hot sprinkle more UTEE on the melted spot, heat again till melted, and repeat. Then take your stamp, ink it up with whatever staze-on color you like and stamp into the still soft UTEE. Be sure to press straight down firmly, then lift straight up to remove stamp. Clean your stamp and let the design cool. You can mount the design onto another complimentary color of cardstock and onto a LO or card. I learned this with an awesome Native American stamp and used black cardstock, gold UTEE and black staze-on, then mounted onto a pretty bright blue card. I learned it at a stamp convention in like 1991. Fun to do, looks cool snd it does not damage the stamp. She also showed us another sample where she highlighted the UTEE design with the ink and the color only highlighted the higher portions of the design if that makes sense. The idea is to get a thick enough layer of UTEE melted to form the 3D look of the stamp design. You can use this technique in any color to suite any occasion and make a huge impression. Have fun!

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to mc_hudd

i am so glad i figured out how to do it. now if i can just get some more layouts posted. last time i tried, it said the file size was too big. any sugestions anyone?

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to randasue

their are some awesome videos on youtube you can watch!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics