Username Post: Altering Plastic?        (Topic#1532999)
JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

Has anyone ever altered anything plastic, and do you have any tips? I have a journal that's an old daytimer, and I want to jazz up the plastic cover sheet in the front of it. It's quite a heavy plastc and it's fairly rigid. I've have something in mind to put on it, and I was wondering if it would work to attach my paper pice with Mod Podge?

~ Jen

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-19-10 07:22 PM
In response to JenKoss

I alter plastic water bottles etc, all the time but I use vinyl..not sure about how modge podge and paper would stick

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Huskymom

I haven't tried anything like that, but many years ago (about 14 years) I modpodged dried leaves from the yard to a plastic planter and I just threw it out last week.....just because I never used it anymore and it was just more clutter...it was still in good condition and the leaves were still all in place. Of course, it wasn't handled in the same way that a journal would be.

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to justowen

i just bought some mod podge. there were so many different kinds of it to choose from. i read the back of them all to see what the differences were and i think i remember reading on the back of one of them that it could be used on plastic. not 100% sure tho.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to beccaboo3

I would suggest using some fine sand paper to rough up the plastic cover first. Go one way then cross the other way with the sandpaper. This will give some grip to the varnish. You could do a sample spot on it like a 1/2 inch space, let the mod podge dry then see if it's gonna peel off. If it does then that may not be the say to go. I know there are specific products that are made just for plastic. Krylon makes some. I have altered plastic items before and used the Krylon clear spray paint to seal it, I did like 3 coats and let them dry over night in between. You can get it at most home center stores to buy

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to catzscrapper

Thanks for the great tips! I'm definitely going to check some of these products out.

~Jen

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics