Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Why do you scrapbook?        (Topic#1538167)
New Kid On the Block

Hello! I'm a graphic design grad student at Savannah College of Art and Design, working a project that has to do with encouraging people to explore and document their experience when moving to a new city. I was hoping some of you passionate scrapbookers on the scrapbook.com forums could answer a few questions for me:
Why did you get started scrapbooking? Why do you keep up with it? And how do you make time for it?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Christy Batta

Inkiepinkies
Expert
Inkiepinkies
In response to heybattabatta

I have always had a love affair with paper and glue--making newspaper and flour paste got me on my way.

I have been a dedicated stamper for probably 25 years, and the next logical step was scrapbooking. I began with "Life Story" albums for both of my adult children and from there I saw no going back. I tell myself that I am scraping so that future generations will know and see how life was now--the truth--I scrapbook for me, I love the papers and the photo splits and the glitter glue. I never met a challenge I didn't try to complete so I am renewing my "style" constantly.

Gotta love that paper!

Nancy

suescraftstuff
Expert
suescraftstuff
In response to Inkiepinkies

I only started scrapbooking a year ago, I was given a small scrapbook for a birthday gift, i loved the idea and since then have been collecting items to 'scrap' I am retired now so time is not a problem. I love putting all my old photo's in a new album, decorated in a new way, they get looked at much more often, and it is a beautiful legacy to leave beind for future generations.

Renbear
Diva
Renbear
In response to suescraftstuff

I actually started out years ago (I think I was around 10) by hording items that I always meant to put in some kind of "scrapbook", I also love to take pictures and capture events - so getting into scrapbooking came naturally.
I've been fully immersed in the hobby for the past eleven years, but I was mostly collecting then, I didn't really start putting books together until the past three years.

I keep scrapbooking for several reasons:
I love the feeling I get when I'm creating something.
I have always felt artistic and crafting things makes me really happy.
I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment with each embellishment I make, each page/layout I complete, and each book I put together.
They are like little celebrations of a project and I get so excited about all of it!
I also like when I get together with my friends who scrap too. We may not get much done on our crop nights, but its always fun to visit and share ideas and see what everyone is working on.
I also feel that I am creating treasures for myself and to pass on as family heirlooms, that's why I put a whole lot of journalling on my pages.
And mostly, its therapy in a way. I get to relive memories that I was part of while I'm categorizing the details of the event, plus again - the experience of creating something is enjoyable and relaxing.

As to making time I have two ways I do that.
First, when its with friends we schedule crop nights - using involves a few emails and a couple of calls - but we find a Friday night once or twice a month and we get together. Lately we've been having so much fun we're not done until 4 & 5 am!
Also,
I have a designated scrap/craft space and I have what I need to be creative within if not arm's length then in the room. I can go and work on a project at any time when I'm not at work or sleeping
I guess it also helps that I don't have tv/cable or children - I get more cropping time in that way! But even if we did have some children I would find a way to have some crafting time!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Renbear

Are you interested in digi scrappers?

I was a paper scrapper originally and got started when I was invited to a Creative Memories party but soon discovered all the other possibilities!!

Why do I keep up with it? I'm not sure I do now really. By the time I started my children were about 8 and 10 years old and after a while I figured out I'd never be 'caught up'. I gradually started just doing whichever photo took my fancy and now it's less 'scrapbook' and more 'creative picture'.

Time? Digi scrapping is so much easier to drop in and out of...just hit minimise, no clearing up the table etc so I do a little here and therw as I fancy it. My children are older so I'm not restricted to waiting until they're in bed

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 07-05-10 02:52 PM
In response to scrappercaz

Why did you get started scrapbooking?
I wanted to order my mess of photos and memorabilia. I also wanted to have them organized so I can jog my memory when I need to.

Why do you keep up with it?
For the above-mentioned reasons. My scrapbooks are like diaries for me. More pictures than words, but, diaries in terms of chronological order. I feel very accomplished when I'm done.

And how do you make time for it?
If something is importat to you, you will make the time. I scare myself into remembering that nobody else will do it for me.

Edited by Judes on 07-05-10 02:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

savannac
Tenant
savannac
In response to Judes

Well I started when I was in Jr. High School, but started back seriously when I got married in 2002 and the passion/obsession started.
I do it because I like to tell the story of what is/has happened in my life (friends, family, fun times, sad times).
I keep it up because I LOVE it and I love the people I have met doing it. And I love looking back at my scrapbooks and reliving the memories.
It is pretty easy for me to make time because I don't have kids to keep up with, but sometimes I do have to just make myself get in my room and work, but once I am there I don't want to stop. I try to crop with friends at least once or twice a month too.

New Kid On the Block
In response to savannac

I am creating my first scrapbook. It is a summary of my baby's 1st year. He is 7 months now. Honestly, I want him to have a baby book full of personal touches. I have way too many pics and items for a traditional baby book! It's a fun release at night when I have time. I'm already behind but that's okay!

Oh, and for me, this is a completely personal thing. I know others are into social scrapping, but I enjoy the time I have doing this all to myself. I get to be creative with no right or wrong answers.

Edited by illinoisscrapper on 07-05-10 07:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to illinoisscrapper

Why did I start?
Friends introduced me so I would have a reason to leave the house (for crops) and since I was already a crafty person they figured I would like it.

Why do I keep up with it?
Many reasons, it my me time my theraphy, being an only parent of two young ones its hard to be selfish enough to do something for ME this is it. I also perfer the look of scrapbooks compared to photo albums and my kids love love love to look at them and ask me to tell them stories about "when"

how do I find the time?
I dont much if I am not tired myself I will stay up after the lil ones are in bed, when my ds was in school I could occupy my daughter with a movie or a project of her own and get a lil done. Other than that its pretty much all research I do like being here on scrapbook.com all in the name of research

tshasta
Veteran
tshasta
In response to Brandilynn

Why do I scrap? Yes, it is a creative outlet, yes it is a way of remembering those special moments in my life...but my true reason is...

Do you know that feeling of love that you say there are no words to describe that love? Have you ever felt you needed another word that was even deeper than love? Well that is how I feel about my two children! I am hoping that someday they will look back at the books I have made and know that the love I have for them is something I could never say enough but maybe...just maybe...that "thing" that is greater than love will show through on my pages and my journaling.

Tshasta
Mommy to DS 1-28-04 and DD 1-24-07

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler

I have always been a creative person. I started scrapbooking because of my grandfather who used to make these old scrapbooks of trips with my grandmother. Whan my son was born he said: "why not make a scrapbook for your son?" I went on line and discovered a new and exciting world, and from then on I was hooked!Since then I turned it into a profession as well as a hobby. I always have time for it because it's my work. I work at home designing and making scrapbooks all day, what a joy!

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to Einat Kessler

I guess mostly because I enjoy it. I work as an engineer and I always had crafy hobbies. Better to fill my house with scrapbooks that perserve memories and sit on a shelf than crochet afghans which take up space for the boys to destroy. I've always enjoyed taking pictures and this was a more interesting way to put them in albums. And I get to play with cool girly things like patterned papers and paper flowers and all that crafy stuff I liked as a kid. I especially enjoy it when my kids look through the albums.

New Kid On the Block
In response to boysmom

I started scrapbooking because my mom gave me a scrapbook, paper, photo splits, and some stickers for a Christmas gift in 1998. She knew I would love it because I have always loved documenting everything, taking lots of photos, and trying anything crafty.

I love the feeling I have when I finish an album, or even just a page. I love to look back at what I've made. I need the creative release. It's like therapy. It makes me feel like myself. I love to think about all the past memories and experiences and friendships. I love how the paper feels and I even love organizing and reorganizing my supplies.

I have a scrap area in our office, so I am able to start a project and leave it out on my desk. This means that I don't have to have a huge chunk of time to scrap. I like being able to sit down and just complete one page, or taking time some days to spend a few hours doing a lot. I don't have any kids, so it's probably easier for me to make time for my hobbies.

Here's where I recently blogged about why I scrapbook: http://keepingawake.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/why-i-do-t ...

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to karinsen

I was starting my empty nest stage, I always experimented with crafty things, I took a class offered by the city rec department and this one became THE hobby.

I enjoy it.

Empty Nest, I have plenty of time and space!! siiiiigh, yes, it is nice.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to mjmone

I started scrapbooking to preserve the memories of my children and when I pass, I leave a story behind. Honestly I have not kept up with it. However, my plan is to get caught up by the end of the year. I try to wait until my childeren are asleep to get something done....

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to HisGEM

I do not know and don't remember why I started. Weird.

I find it an interesting way to show my photography work. Further, I keep doing it because it is fun and the tools and supplies fascinated me. Further, scrapbooks make great gifts, do the photos, make the book, no muss, no shopping, done.

For me the memory aspect is not in the picture. No kids or family, so when I die the books will probably go in the trash.

Ah, I quit my job and have a messy house... just kidding. I don't really make specific time, it is when I have the time. I think we all have free time we spend doing other things for fun, like tv, socializing or going to movies. It is just a priority activity for how I spend my free time.

Jen_31
Jen_31 
Resident
Jen_31
In response to HisGEM

Like a lot of the other people here, I always enjoyed crafty things. I enjoy taking a quiet evening to myself just playing with my supplies and designing a page. Basically, it started out as a hobby and a way to "do something" with all my photos I had stashed away.

I don't always feel I have the time for it, between balancing university, my job, my social life, etc, it kinda gets put on the sidelines often. But because I don't have kids and don't take my camera to everyday events, I'm not overflowing with photos, it kinda balances out.

Why do I keep up with it? I do it for me! I know down the road I'll love looking back at the pages I've made documenting these events and people important to me. I feel it does these memories more jusitce than just throwing them in shoeboxes or plain photo albums.

I have an album solely about my senior dog. Especially now that he's older, I've been making an effort to use photos that really capture the different aspects of his personality, and add journaling with little anecdotes about him. I suppose it's kind of a way of coping with him aging, to put together something tangible about him to keep down the road.

flagirlof4
Guru
flagirlof4
In response to Jen_31

I started after I had my third baby and I was bored just staying at home after quitting my job. I been doing it since 2003. I keep up with because I like to look back when they were small and want my kids to be able to show there kids.

Maria

AZscrapnquilt
Expert
AZscrapnquilt

Hello Christi!

Why did I start Scrapbooking:

Because I had a baby in the NICU and every baby had a 12x12 page in their area. I thought it was so sweet and wanted to be able to scrapbook. The nurse who did all of them asked me to join the NICU moms during the week and I did.

Why do I keep doing it?

I love doing it! It's decorating without paying for sofas and wallpaper! I have two children and they give me every reason to snap pics and scrap them!

Where to find the time?

Urrrrgh! After everyone is in bed, I burn the 3 AM oil!! Naptime (seldom happens but okay) Daddy time with the baby (the other is 17)

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to AZscrapnquilt

I've always done crafting..stamping, needlepoint, ceramics, etc...(Mostly stamping...) then a friend introduced me to the art of scrapbooking. And I fell in love with the craft! Over the years, my DH and I have taken lots of photos of our 3 dd's on vacation, during holidays, birthdays, and everyday events...so we have LOTS of photos that I can scrap.

I love creating the pages and enjoy seeing my dd's and dh look at them. They tease me about my "addiction", but they always look forward to seeing my newest pages of them.

We're now empty nesters with our 3 dd's out on their own. So it is easy for me to make time to scrap. Normally I scrap in the evening after dinner is done...and a bit on weekends...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics