Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Cricut Abandonment        (Topic#1540701)
fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet

In a recent thread I was surprised by how many people said they have Cricuts but didn't use them. Now I am curious. How many have Cricuts but don't use them and why.

No, I don't work for PC, just interested.

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to fatwhippet

I've only used mine a few times. The cuts seem to always look flat. Do I need to do some shading or something on them?

Tigger
Tigger 
Mayor
Tigger
In response to Katlady

I've had one for quite a few years, and can count on one hand how many times I've used it...

Just not into it.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Katlady

• Katlady Said:
I've only used mine a few times. The cuts seem to always look flat. Do I need to do some shading or something on them?

I always embellish the cuts in some way or another...inking, distressing, whatever you want. I leave letters as is sometimes.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to angie girl

If you worked for PC we'd have to sign an agreement and pay for even answering any questions, then you'd give us a golden charm to prove how special we are so we could be the envy of our friends...

But to answer your question...I still use mine, but BARELY...I am not into the "cricut look" but I like getting to make letters in any size and color I want. I like getting to cut more complicated things like flourishes. But honestly...sometimes I think it's not worth it at all. I HONESTLY feel like it hampers my creativity if I don't back off of it.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Katlady

• Katlady Said:

I ink or chalk my cuts -- looks more 3-dimensional to me. Or I cut several of the same cut and stack them up. Or use pop-dots to raise them. That said, I mostly use it for letters and flourishes that I can size. But of course I only got it this year, so we'll see how useful it becomes for Halloween cards, Thanksgiving cards, and Christmas cards!

Edited by meezerpleaser on 08-12-10 12:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to angie girl

I've had my Expression for about 2 years and the only time I've used it is when a friend needed some vinyl letters cut.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to lisymarie

I use it but not a lot. I have no space for it really. So when I want to use it, I have to bring it from my bedroom and set it up on the kitchen table and use it.

However, we want to eventually move and one of DH requirements for looking for a house is that I need to have my own Office/Craft Room. Then I will use it much more.

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to foltzy

I use mine for fonts and shapes on a regular basis. I'm scared to try other things with layered looks. I have plenty of carts, but am just afraid of having to make all those layers and then trying to figure out how to put them together!! I watched a video someone on here recommended and it helped a little bit, but not enough for me to try it yet!!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:
I use mine for fonts and shapes on a regular basis. I'm scared to try other things with layered looks. I have plenty of carts, but am just afraid of having to make all those layers and then trying to figure out how to put them together!! I watched a video someone on here recommended and it helped a little bit, but not enough for me to try it yet!!

Some of those layers get crazy, but once you do a couple it's pretty easy. I made one thing that had SEVEN layers!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to Penny Lane

Ive had mine for a couple years and didnt use it very much ........just this week i decided it was a waste so I brought it out of my scrap room and into the living room ........while Im sitting here Ive been "playing" with it ......Ive figured out lots of things Ive never attempted before! .......cut out lots of flourishes ......loyered other cuts .......then embellished with ink & stickles .......I can assure you I have turned a corner! I will be using my cricut alot more!!!!

ReginaOklaScrapper
Expert
ReginaOklaScrapper
In response to melissadam

I think I would use my cricut more if I could afford more cartridges. I just don't have that many cartridges right now and the ones I have don't go with the pages I'm working on right now.

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to ReginaOklaScrapper

Space is an issue for me as well. I have to make a lot of effort to get it out and set up to use it and I just don't want to bother most of the time.
And a lot of their carts are too cutesy for me...I wish they would make a vintage/shabby chic style cart.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Penny Lane

• Penny Lane Said:
If you worked for PC we'd have to sign an agreement and pay for even answering any questions, then you'd give us a golden charm to prove how special we are so we could be the envy of our friends...

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to moxiegirl23

I had to have one and same thing, can count on one hand how many times I've used it ... kind of a waste of money.

I think mostly I don't like the flat look - it's a pain to ink the edges and glue down the small letters (I have one of the cartridges that has an italicized font, Jasmine).

I really don't like the look of it. I'd prefer to use Thickers or something else.

That said, if I actually got SCAL, I might use it a LOT more!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to StaceyE

• StaceyE Said:
Space is an issue for me as well. I have to make a lot of effort to get it out and set up to use it and I just don't want to bother most of the time.
And a lot of their carts are too cutesy for me...I wish they would make a vintage/shabby chic style cart.

I believe the heritage cart is more vintage .....commaholly just bought it and was raving about it

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to melissadam

I use my cricut expression on almost every lo. I only have 15 cartridges but so much variety.

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to debby_westbrook

I use my cricut a LOT and got mine last November. I LOVE the calligraphy cartridge and do most of my titles with it. I only own 8 cartridges but found out that I can get some really GREAT prices on evil bay for most cartridges brand new in the package and WAY less than the stores. One more thing is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it for birthday cards!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to fatwhippet

I use mine A LOT for my journaling. The "Fabulous Finds" cartridge makes all different style tags that make it really easy for me. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but enough that I'm happy I purchased it. Of course I'm STILL buying letters and punches-- even though the cricut has MORE than enough to choose from!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to leslief

• leslief Said:
I use mine A LOT for my journaling. The "Fabulous Finds" cartridge makes all different style tags that make it really easy for me. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but enough that I'm happy I purchased it. Of course I'm STILL buying letters and punches-- even though the cricut has MORE than enough to choose from!

Sometimes cricut letters just look flat to me. I buy thickers and other letters all the time. Even if I layer the cricut letters they still seem...cricut-y...

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics