Page 1 of 11 
Username Post: Can of Worms Question...blog pimping        (Topic#1543179)
Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

Not trying to offend anyone....but I keep coming across what appear to be interesting forum topics only to see an advertisement or a link to someones blog. I can't comment on the stuff and refuse to sign up for all the emails it requires.

Why not just post what you have to say here? You opened an account to be part of THIS forum.

What are the advantages to leading people to your blog instead of making friends here?

So my question to the general population is: if you come across a blog link do you go join or do you just ignore?

Edited by Just G on 09-20-10 12:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Just G

It seems to be a new epidemic!
It irritates me. I do NOT click on the links.

I'm starting to avoid the general forum, because so many threads are "come look at my blog." No -thank you!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Bxr-Linda

A lot of the advertising is spam, and I don't mind if someone who has been a long time member starts a blog and asks us to look at it, but I don't like when people join for that reason and don't contribute to the site. the advertising is against the rules but I am not sure about the blogs

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to CorrieW

whew. i thought i was gonna get my ******** chewed for this question. glad i'm not the only one.

i'm not picking on the bloggers but have respect for a site that is a 'community' and participate.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Bxr-Linda

Pretty much never go. In the gallery I often see descriptions that say, "Details on my blog." If I'm super-duper interested (which is rare to never), I'll make the effort to cut-and-paste the address, but sometimes the blog doesn't have any real details, either. Then it's just annoying.

In the card-making world everybody has to have a blog in order to link their cards to challenges and contests. And I suppose if you want to be on somebody's design team you have to have a blog to get additional eyes on your creations.

Lisa

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to Bxr-Linda

I only visit blogs if a friend tells me to go check them out. I always intend to follow blogs or even start my own but I never get around to it. If the only content of the post is a link, I rarely follow it.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to sunrenay

I have no interest in blogs generally and I agree, asking people to keep going to yours for whatever reason, isn't good IMO. I always think it's a shame when people use places like this site just to further their own interest rather than becoming friends with people here when traffic would probably naturally.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to sunrenay

• sunrenay Said:
I only visit blogs if a friend tells me to go check them out. I always intend to follow blogs or even start my own but I never get around to it. If the only content of the post is a link, I rarely follow it.

ditto... to be honest, i don't even understand how to follow a blog...LOL!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Doreena

most of them are very cluttered with advertisements

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Doreena

I have a blog, I follow quite a few blogs. I use my blog to talk more about what is going on in my life, on top of my scrapping. I also have done product reviews, tips, and tutorials. I don't really have a place here to go into detail on how to do a specific technique. I also use my blog to give away prizes and for dt work.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Nancy Keslin

But Nancy, I would view that differently because you are part of the community here, you join in other discussions etc and aren't here just to promote your blog.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to scrappercaz

I got tired of going to most of the blogs. They want you to comment and become a follower. I wouldn't mind, but most of the blogs wont let me comment.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Nancy Keslin

I have a couple of blogs:one for scrapbooking and the other for travel. I only mention them on this site if there is something that will be helpful to a person asking an opinion. For example a listing of people with a Cricut or Gypsy whose blogs I follow.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa

I'm OK with people who participate here posting lets say a photo or 2 in the project gallery and then saying "details on my blog" if the blog has a tutorial or more photos of the project, etc. and similarly I'm OK with people posting a layout and then "details on my blog" if in fact they have more details on their blog, such as using it as a daily journal with photos. Although I don't blog and do 90% of my posting here, I do belong to 3 forums. I understand people who blog may be members of multiple forums and rather then post details 3 places they refer to their blog. I'm OK with that.

I do not like people who post merely "see my blog for more details" and then it goes to a page where its the exact photo and they want to SELL you the tutorial or the jewelry, etc. I'm not against the selling per se if they would just say "To buy the "x" see my blog." It probably is inappropriate of them to advertise like that but thats an issue for the site, not me personally to determine.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to disneylisa

I ignore them. I'm not a blogger.

scrappymomof4
Veteran
scrappymomof4
In response to disneylisa

My blog is attached to my Signature. I haven't written on it in awhile, but when my book came out last year I did link my blog for book giveaways. I don't ever ask anyone to follow my blog, but hey are welcome to if they want. I only link through to others if I really want to see what they say. No big deal for me to see them on here. I either ignore them or not. Up to me.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to scrappymomof4

I don't usually link to blogs, they are just not that interesting to me unless it contains a new technique. I only follow one because she does post new techniques all the time. Even then it is not attached to my email. I don't blog myself, there is not that much to tell.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal

If someone wants a blog I am happy for them. I do not have one nor do I want one. If I went to blogs, I would get nothing done all day. If a layout says "details at my blog", I am not going there unless its a tutorial that I am interested in which is also rare.

Edited by akentuckygal on 09-20-10 12:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lstory 
Mayor

• scrappymomof4 Said:
My blog is attached to my Signature. I haven't written on it in awhile, but when my book came out last year I did link my blog for book giveaways. I don't ever ask anyone to follow my blog, but hey are welcome to if they want. I only link through to others if I really want to see what they say. No big deal for me to see them on here. I either ignore them or not. Up to me.

Your way is the way that seems most reasonable to me. If someone consistently posts interesting/informative comments and participates on the boards in an organic fashion, and if that person has a blog link in their signature, I might be inclined to click through.

It's the "Hi, look at me! Check out my blog!" type of comments that grate.

Lisa

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• scrappercaz Said:
But Nancy, I would view that differently because you are part of the community here, you join in other discussions etc and aren't here just to promote your blog.

Exactly.

Page 1 of 11 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics