Username Post: storing pencils        (Topic#1550787)
styme123
Resident
styme123

I have a large set of prismacolor colored pencils that I want to store. I'm not sure if I should save the space and just put them in a round glass container or leave them in the tin they come in color coordinated order. If they are in the glass container am I going to have a hard time seeing all the colors? Any ideas? I searched through the gallery but no real ideas.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to styme123

I have over a period of time bought several tins of Prismacolor pencils. I removed them all from the tins and then put them back into the various tins by color. In other words the pencils are not in their original tins and they are grouped by color (using the ROYGBIV grouping system)in the various tins. It makes it very easy to find the basic color I want and all the shades available. The flat tins are easy to stack and store on a shelf.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
I have a large set of prismacolor colored pencils that I want to store. I'm not sure if I should save the space and just put them in a round glass container or leave them in the tin they come in color coordinated order. If they are in the glass container am I going to have a hard time seeing all the colors? Any ideas? I searched through the gallery but no real ideas.

I am a HUGE Prismacolor lover. I used to store them in the original box, a 99 cent pencil box and those leather like zip up case. My fav is when they came out in the tins. I thought I was in heaven. DH went & bought me a new set in the tin. They changed them too. They made them not break as easy as they used to. I probably will never take them out cause I do love the tins. lol

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to anda11

I wonder how long ago they changed them. My luck I'm sure I have the older more fragile type

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
I wonder how long ago they changed them. My luck I'm sure I have the older more fragile type

I do not remember for sure when it was. I did not realize they did that. I saw it on their website when they started putting the 120 set in those tins. (like I got) It was maybe 2 yrs ago. I do notice a big difference in them not breaking as much. I read online that they did break more than other pencils before I got them so it never really bothered me. I love the pencils so much that it was very worth it to me to have them break easy. lol

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to anda11

I have my prismacalors in the original tin too. They store easily and are ready to travel too.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I keep mine in the original tins too. I have seen some websites that sell the pencils individually...anyone buy them that way??

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to caraboo

My dd has a huge set and she keeps hers in the tin. This way, she can tell if she has them all and if one (or a few) is/are missing, she can figure out where they are and put them back in.

I originally bought Berol pencils which are now the same as Prismacolor (bought out Berol years ago).
I got them individually because they did not come in sets long ago. I have colors that don't exist any more once the buy out happened and colors became extinct!

I noticed in M's that the pencils can be bought individually but not all colors and now they have a limited number of individual pencils to purchase. I guess they want you to buy a set.

I store my pencils in a pencil case with a small sharpener.
I cannot live without them and prefer pencils to any type of marker.

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to PokeyMom

I guess you guys have some good points, so maybe I'll just keep them in the tin.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to caraboo

Yes, I have bought individual ones from ******** Blick (both on-line and in the Pasadena store), usually replacements for ones that came in a set and were used heavily--although I have to admit I am a sucker for any color that is not in any of my sets.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have purchased individual replacements in the past. You can get them at art stores as well as Michaels & Hobby Lobby. There are online art stores too. Dxxck Blick sells online art supplies (in person too)I just placed an order with them last month> They are pretty fast> I have ordered a number of times over the yrs from them.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
If they are in the glass container am I going to have a hard time seeing all the colors?

I think you would. I keep mine in the tin. I don't keep them in any order but it helps just that they are laid out and I can quickly find the color I want. Plus, they travel better in the tin.

outsidechic
Diva
outsidechic
In response to KellyLeigh

i had mine in a tin, and it exploded on me ... they fell all over the place. also have a bunch for old art school sets that didn't fit in the tinn (i've bought indivduals). there in one of those $1 pencil holders that are everywhere come school time. my prisma markers are in a larger one too

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to outsidechic

I made a pencil holder out of pvc pipe pieces I glued together and then painted to match my scrapy area-- I have one for my markers, too. I sorted them by color.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to terrihooper

• terrihooper Said:
I made a pencil holder out of pvc pipe pieces I glued together and then painted to match my scrapy area-- I have one for my markers, too. I sorted them by color.

that's a good idea!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics