Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Long Flight        (Topic#1555793)
armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper

I am flying to Korea on Thursday. Does any one have any ideas on how to put together some pre-made kits for the flight. I know that everything is going to have to be pre-cut. The flight just to korea is 17 hours, I need something to do. Any ideas are helpful.

I like to scrap all at once but with no cutting tools I will have to do it a head of time. This is really going to be a challenge.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to armyscraper

I would put each kit in a gallon ziplock baggie or get some of those individual scrapbook totes. Sketch your layouts and then cut everything down to your embellies. You might call ahead of time and ask about punches on the plane. Have fun and good luck!

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to Vallee

Have fun and post what you do.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper

check with TSA to see if you can bring the small scissors. I think that the last time I flew, you could bring the small ones. Make sure you also check about coming home since foreign countries sometimes have different rules than our airports.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Unique scrapper

I've done that flight many times. Bring a good book, you'll be flying military contracted air lines (cattle car class) with very little elbow room for scrapping. Try to hold on to your sanity. If you're leaving out of SEA-TAC at 2am at least you'll get some sleep on the first few hours. If you've got any good painkillers or sleeping pills bring them in your carry on! It only will seem like an eternity.... good luck!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Sonsie

I just got home from a six hour flight and even with extra legroom and only two seats per row there would have been no way that I could have done any scrapping project. The tray was small, my seatmates elbow kept on hitting my arm and being creative was the last thing on my mind. My two cents is to bring a good book, an ipod, sleeping pills (advil PM or benadryl) and perhaps a small pad for journaling. Also, check out YouTube for the barf bag mini. Grab all the bags you can and make your mini AFTER you arrive home. Good-luck and have a safe journey!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to theellenbee

Do you have a gypsy? You could do some designing on the flight...pick up some scrappy mags to read. I wouldn't attempt to scrap myself. I would read, listen to music, watch a movie on my netbook, ect

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I have sorted photos on flights. Back in the days when we would make prints of everything I would take a couple hundred photos on a flight and go through them. I also would mount photos in photo albums. I am mentioning this to illustrate that it can be done. I am also experienced in what would be considered scrapbooking in "roughed" conditions.

couple suggestions;
- Keep It Simple
Things that are easy to do and small like doodling (now is your opportunity to really doodle something elaborate), coloring in stamped images (stamp 10 cards and really experiment with various copic marker techniques), journaling (spend some time thinking about exactly what you want to say, write a poem), etc.

Look for something that is time consuming but you haven't had the time to do. Capturing a little family history immediately comes to mind.

- use the time to create your own sketches for future projects.

- research. Get a few scrapbooking books from the library, grab the latest scrapbooking magazines,
read a book on digital photography. One of the best 6 hours flights I ever spent involved reading a book on digital photography. I had the book but never seemed to find the time to read it. I had my camera with me and was able to really spend the time digesting what the settings were and what they did.

- if you have an ipod, iphone etc. watch scrapbooking videos. There are numerous free video podcasts you can download through the itunes store on scrapbooking, the latest techniques, how to use your cricut, Photoshop, etc.
I have to warn you the Photoshop ones can be a bit detailed. You may feel like you are back in school.

- if you have an iphone download a free "color" app. These are apps where you see various color combinations and can play with them.

- If you REALLY want to assemble pages, it can be done. But remember you will be working in a very tight space. Things may get bent. Let me rephrase that there is a guarantee that at least something will get bent, damaged, or lost especially if you are attempting 12 x 12. Because of space limitations you will most likely be working on top of your page which increases the chances of something getting damaged. But there is no reason that you can't work on pages, elements for your pages or cards (except for the "no scissors, needles, trimmers, or liquids" part).

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Gelidy Gelato

If you're really interested in scrapping on the plane, I'd do a plain square 6x6 or at most an 8x8 minibook,,,,,

have the book completely put together, bare,,,,

cut your 6x6 papers in advance, bring a bag of flowers and other embellies,,,,,,and a stack of photos,,,,,

and basically just some glue and put it together.

Might be fun for an hour or two,,,,,,but I would think 12x12 would be almost impossible with those tiny fold out tables they give you.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

actually, I'd not bring liquid glue,,,,,

I'd bring a tape runner and some glue dots,,,,

liquid glue might not be allowed on the plane.

Cris Mulezini
Pro
Cris Mulezini

When I read your post I thought "how is she going to scrap on a plane seat???" lol. Maybe you could take a sketchbook and try to design your next layouts, chose pp and embellies. I think it could get stressing trying to scrap on a plane, but of course it's up to you. Have a nice flight!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Cris Mulezini

On my 16-hour flight to Guam & without any exaggeration or because of the weird time-adjustment, all anyone on the plane seemed to do was sleep. No open windows, language barrier & almost no talking on the plane!

I think travling with kids also required most of my attention.

However, if I could of, I would of probably have kept it simple & brought along some copics, markers or pens to color some clipart or detail-decorate some diecuts.

Which, by the way, I may very well do that on my way back to the states next year!

Anyways, Hope That Helps & Have Fun on your trip!

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to Cris Mulezini

Thanks ladies. I have not seen my husband in 7 months and I hate airplanes so I have to keep my self occupied. It will be an 8x8. Great Ideas! I leave Thursday so I have time to plan! Thanks again I really do appreciate it.

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand

good luck and safe travels

Resident

• armyscraper Said:
Thanks ladies. I have not seen my husband in 7 months and I hate airplanes so I have to keep my self occupied. It will be an 8x8. Great Ideas! I leave Thursday so I have time to plan! Thanks again I really do appreciate it.

I hate to jump off subject......My son is in Korea too (Camp Casey) so...
A: can I go in your suitcase or
B: Give him a big hug from his Mom!

Edited by Lauralny on 03-28-11 02:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to Lauralny

My husband is at Casey too!

Resident

Awww when you see a good looking kid with big baby blues and a dimple in his chin Give him a hug!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to Lauralny

Why not give everyone at the camp a hug from grateful Americans.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Unique scrapper

• Unique scrapper Said:
Why not give everyone at the camp a hug from grateful Americans.

Sending my hug along for the ride...

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to ScrappyMama6

This gives me the warm fuzzies! Love our American soldiers!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics