Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Considering selling cards?        (Topic#1556717)
bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Does anyone sell their cards on local sites like craigslist? (Here usedwinnipeg and kijiji are popular.) I've considered selling some of mine. But I don't know. I'd feel silly if I put them up and no one bought them lol. Or if people I knew saw my ad and thought I was vain...
I mean, I was thinking just a buck each. Who could argue that? Homemade is way better than dollar store cards. And I could even make personal cards with people's names and stuff if they requested... (Or making little tags or embelishments to sell separately...) The only issue might be peoples time and gas spent getting to my house.
I don't know, thoughts?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to bcblondie

I don't sell my cards because I wouldn't be able to recover the cost of supplies and my time. My one thought is that if you are concerned about feeling silly or vain, then maybe this isn't for you. Otherwise, why not give it a try?

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about my time since I do it for fun. If it stopped being fun I'd stop selling them. I don't think my supplies cost more than a buck a card but maybe I'm underestimating that.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to bcblondie

I would say to give it a try. What can you lose? As you said, if it stops being fun, then you would stop selling them.

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to Luvmyfam

Go for it... I sell tons of my cards... although I would not let them go for $1 a card... that would barely cover my supplies for a card... I usually sell them between 2.50 and 4 depending on the card itself... I love it and sell quite a few.. it seems people want the handmade touch without having to buy the stuff to actually make it themselves

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to jessielee

Bravo! That's awesome!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to bcblondie

Jessie where do you sell your cards? Just word of mouth? Friends?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to amandahugandkiss

I sell cards at a local home decor boutique. I simply went in and asked if they'd be willing to sell cards made by a local artist. Don't sell yourself short by thinking people will think you're vain. If you want to sell something, sometimes you've got to sell yourself as well

They provide the stands and I keep about 30-40 cards in stock. I get paid when my cards sell. I charge $3.00 per card and they get .25 for each sale. I do get a lot of materials from design team work though, so my overhead is low.

I also offer custom orders and I'm getting those more frequently as well. Do you have any local businesses that would be interested in this type of arrangement? I find it works very well for me - no advertising, no shipping, just card-making

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Here Kitty

Amy I'm not sure! I'll have to think on that. It sounds like you've got a great thing going. I should definitely try something.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to bcblondie

I sell mine for $4.50 each they each of a magnolia or other stamp that is hand colored. I don't' make money on them but at least I recoup a little bit so I can buy more stuff.

Don't get frustrated it's taken me a while to get a following.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Sneezy1956

I've sold a few cards and tried setting up a booth at some craft fairs. I did better with individual sales than the craft fairs. I sell my cards for a minimum of $4 and more for bigger/more complex cards (up to about $7). I think if you want to do it just for fun, then go for it. I don't think anyone could really make a lot of money making cards though.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to cat_woman

Ok I posted an ad! Eep. I'm nervous lol. I posted them as 2 dollars each and listed that I could do custom ones. I'll keep y'all posted.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to bcblondie

My cards average from 4 to 7 dollars depending on the materials and techniques I use. I started selling cards two years ago and it was slow-going at first. Now, I have a nice solid client base that I don't have to advertise or self-promote. It keeps me very busy and very happy

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to runzalot81

Thats You!!!! lol I was just "window" shopping and saw your ad!!!!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Brandilynn

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Ok I'm slow! You're actually in winnipeg!! What are the odds? Your work is awesome. Love it.

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to bcblondie

You are selling yourself short, both in self esteem and price! Just because they are handmade does not make them less expensive. A lot of people appreciate an artist made card and are willing to pay a bit more for it. Also, consider bundling your cards.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to RobinH

Thank you! And bundling is a great idea.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to bcblondie

Susy- I don't know if you are bilingual, but I know that my friend who makes french cards can't keep up with her orders. Not a lot of people in BC speak French, but a fair number of kids go to French Immersion school and parents like having french birthday cards for parties and french thank you cards for the teachers. I know there is a large french population in Winnipeg.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to amandahugandkiss

Oh that's a great idea too! I took french for 8 years in school. Funny how little you actually learn in 8 years lol. But I'm sure I could muster a "bonne fete" or two. lol.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics