Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut Design Studio        (Topic#1556839)
lilirishlucy18
Tenant
lilirishlucy18

Does anyone know anything about the Cricut Design Studio? I have done some googling and it looks like it is a CD disc you put in your computer...and you can hook your computer up to the cricut? And that gives you access to ALL of the cartridges and what they have to offer? That cant be right...is it?

Tenant
In response to lilirishlucy18

I have design studio. Yes you do have access to see what is on all the cartridges. But you can only cut things off of carts that you physically have. Design Studio is great and I love mine. It is so easy to weld things, see layers better, resize and all. You can now use DS to group things together and weld (I'm just learning this one.)

There was a trial download available on the cricut.com website. It would only allow you to use the cartridges that came with your cricut. At the time I got mine the trial was only available for George and Plantain Schoolbook, not sure if that is the case now though. HTH

Edited by Pattycake92 on 04-14-11 11:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Pattycake92

You can design with and look at all the cartridges, but you can only cut with those you own. But it's a great way to preview carts you're thinking of buying. I love it so much. It has most of the functionality of the Gypsy, except you do have to insert the carts into your Cricut to cut with them - the trade-off is that it's cheaper (suggested retail is like $90, but I got mine for $25, new, on Amazon), and that you get the whole screen of your computer to see what you're doing. I definitely recommend it.

The trial is still available, and yes, with the trial you can only cut with the carts that originally came with the machine you're using (George for the Personal, I forget what for the Create, and Plantin Schoolbook and Accent Essentials for the Expression - even if different carts came bundled with yours, the trial still limits you to what I've described). However, you can design and save whatever you wish in the trial.

I would be happy to answer any other Design Studio questions you have.

lilirishlucy18
Tenant
lilirishlucy18
In response to aquabunny

Ok cool. I saw it on sale somewhere and thought it was too good to be true! It sounds like a great way to combine elements of different cartridges. So if I have a picture on one cartridge, I can weld it with an imagine on another cartridge? Or can you only weld within the same cart?

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

I use DS a lot. I never travel to scrap and have a computer right in my scraproom so it works well for me. My only complaint is that it's slooooooow, but that could be that I'm using an old computer.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to scrap4brains

I would hold off on buying DS for Cricut. At CHA Provo Craft announced a new online system that should be releasing shortly. It looks to have all the same features as DS but will be free.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Nancy Keslin

• homesclscrapper Said:
I would hold off on buying DS for Cricut. At CHA Provo Craft announced a new online system that should be releasing shortly. It looks to have all the same features as DS but will be free.

Yes! Cricut Craft Room! I can't wait till they get it up and I can use it with my Imagine and Expression. It looks to be much more versatile than Design Studio which I also own and use daily.

lilirishlucy18
Tenant
lilirishlucy18
In response to Sonsie

Just a quick question. This Design Studio is not the CD that comes with the expression is it? That CD is just the users manual right?

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie

Design Studio is indeed an entirely separate program. It used to cost about $65 a few years back. It's about to become obsolete if this new online system works out.

bwasek
bwasek 
Expert
bwasek

No it is not the CD that comes with the machine. Design studio comes in a separate green box.

And yes you can weld things from more than 1 cart together. Its also great because you can cut every character a different size if you want. Whereas on the cricut alone you can only cut 1 size every cut.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Sonsie

all of the above it true, hold on to your pennies cricut craft room is coming at the end of this month and its FREE!!!!

Expert
In response to Brandilynn

Wow, that is great to know, as I was also lookimg into design studio...I really want to weld letters together. Thanks for the info!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to deedee49

One thing, if you do choose to buy a Design Studio disc but are running a more recent computer - install the program using the install file from Cricut's website, and use the registration code from the disc you bought. This is the Cricut-approved workaround for the fact that the CDs have not been updated to a newer version of the software.

I'm aware of Cricut Craft Room, but I have zero interest in having to be connected to the internet to use it, free or not.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to scrap4brains

• scrap4brains Said:
I use DS a lot. I never travel to scrap and have a computer right in my scraproom so it works well for me. My only complaint is that it's slooooooow, but that could be that I'm using an old computer.

It's VERY slow for me too, especially the cutting part.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Scrapsaholic

Wow, really? I've had no cutting speed problems with mine. Sorry to hear that.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to aquabunny

I can't wait to see the Craft Room,,,,,I have the Gypsy, so I don't know if I'll use it much,,,,,but it can't hurt to check it out

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Wow, really? I've had no cutting speed problems with mine. Sorry to hear that.

Oh yeah, mine is horribly slow when I'm using CDS. If I'm not using it, my machine cuts super fast. I thought that was the same for everyone else too, strange.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Scrapsaholic

My Design Studio doesn't cut slow but it takes forever to start the program!

Here is a link to the Cricut Craft Room YouTube Video:

http://youtu.be/36EGDJd8e9w

Edited by Sonsie on 04-14-11 02:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Sonsie

The Cricut Craft room will be great to use, However you have to be on line to use it. Design Studio, you don't have to be on line when using it. I also have a Jukebox that holds 6 cartridges so I don't have to change the cartridges as much. I love the whole set up!!!

Edited by debby_westbrook on 04-14-11 04:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to debby_westbrook

I am not worried about the being online. I am a bit worried that they will disconnect my SCAL. That is what is holding me up right now.

the craft room is pretty cool tho.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics