Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: help! punch stuck        (Topic#1558633)
Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

I was using my punch and now it won't open. It's stuck closed with my paper IN the punch. how do i get it to pop open again? TIA
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to Lamoo12

Probably not the recommended method, but when that happened to me I tapped mine with a small hammer till it popped open.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to MrsSugarBear

I was going to suggest slamming it on a table, but that's probably not the best or safest fix!! LOL Sometimes when my punches get stuck, I take my scissors (or something strong) and push the bottom of the punch until it pops back out. Then punch some wax paper so it doesn't happen again.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Lamoo12

Not sure who it was, but somebody said putting it in the freezer for a minute loosens it up. I've had success pushing & repushing the punch mechanism, then sliding a butterknife into the paper channel gently. Good luck!

ETA: I just bought that punch today!

Edited by GemGirl on 05-16-11 11:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to GemGirl

I'm afraid that I'm a violent scrapper - I bang it against the table and then, if that doesn't work, I smack it lightly with my little MM hammer. I haven't had one yet that didn't pop open from that little act of violence

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to meezerpleaser

I also have a punch that's stuck, I'll have to try those ideas, thanks.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Tina scraps

I use the slamming it method.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to scrap4brains

another slammer here!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to scrap4brains

I used the slamming method then the trash method!

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to wilbur

We are violent scrappers! haha I've done a little bit of all of the above. Do make sure you use a lil sharpening kit to keep it from sticking.

They are kinda like computers, when they stop working, just kick them. right?

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Samothrace

Yeah, I just slam it on the table too.

yesenialesso
Expert
yesenialesso
In response to meezerpleaser

Then I guess I am a violent Scrapper as well I smack it on the table; and if that doesn't work I get dh to fix it. lol

I never tried the hammer; next time I'll try that.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to yesenialesso

I also slam ( I call it smacking) but make sure I have a magazine on the table to protect the table... not the punch! Hey... I like the idea of the little hammer! Makes me think of the Beatles song.... bang bang Maxwells silver hammer came down on.... we could insert our own words.....the punch!!!!

Edited by pinkpaperairedale on 05-16-11 04:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to pinkpaperairedale

another slammer,,,,then the butterknife,,,and if that fails, I give it to DH,,,,,

I have one that's never been the same since it stuck though,,,,

your paper might be too thick,,,,,mine won't cut a really good quality thick paper like bazzill.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to CommaHolly

I once had to hammer mine apart and get rid of it as it always jammed

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to SuperAllyFan

I bang on mine too.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to scraprabbit

thanks everyone. i did have to hammer it apart. there is a spot that seems to be catching. i'll call the company tomorrow and see what they say.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Samothrace

• Samothrace Said:
We are violent scrappers! haha I've done a little bit of all of the above. Do make sure you use a lil sharpening kit to keep it from sticking.

They are kinda like computers, when they stop working, just kick them. right?

What kind of sharpening kit are you talking about? I've never heard of anything like that.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Bxr-Linda

I punch aluminum foil occasionally to sharpen mine, but I am another slammer here ... I usually slam the side of it against the table and it pops right open (and yes, we do seem to be a fairly violent group )

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to madmatter

I usually start by pushing against the bottom of it with my thumb, but I think banging it against something is often the only way. Just be careful about hitting it with metal things though, because I've dented the sharp edge of the cutter with scissors before, and that was the end of that punch.

I try to "service" mine every now and then by making 20 or so punches through aluminium foil to sharpen them and shave off any dents, then half a dozen through waxed paper to lubricate them. That works.

If it's a new punch though - straight back to the shop!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics