Username Post: What do you do when you can't scrap?        (Topic#1559553)
Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom

What do you do when you want to scrap but you can’t? When you have a family, work, school, space, moving, vacation or other duties what do you put off to create time to scrap? And what do you that’s keeps you in a happy scrappy mood until you can scrap.

I have a ton off things on my plate right now and I really want to scrap sometimes but its just not possible on those days. What do you do to keep you a happy scraping person with a busy life? How do you express your creativity with limited time? Thank you for your time. Crystal

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Crystal is Leahs Mom

* Journal. You could keep a journal, an album or a smash album specifically for this summer.

* Draw or sketch. You can keep a sketch book.

* Inspiration book. Combine both ideas above. Include clippings, thoughts, quotes, doodles, layout ideas, altered art project ideas, etc.

* Cut. Print or stamp a bunch of extra items to work on while you are on vacation.

* Color. Either drawn, stamped or digital stamp images.

* Sewing. I usually have enough sewing projects to literally keep me busy for an entire season.

* Reading. Not only is it good for the soul, but it's a great way to unwind & find yet even more inspiration to be had.

* Photo Hunts. Summer is an especially great season to specifically dedicate a lot of time to photography. Challenge yourself to hunt for unique themes, patterns, places & objects!

HTH & Have A Happy Summer!

Kirilee
Tenant
Kirilee
In response to KellyCali

I find that when I can't scrap, I am collecting things for scrapbooking... which is a dangerous thing to do. I go to a discount place near my work nearly every lunch time to see if they have new stock, and if so... I buy stamps, embellishments, flowers... anything that strike my fancy. But it is like a guilty little pleasure because generally, they only cost $1 to $4 - like my big bag of blooms - $4.00; used them in two scrapbooks now and it doesn't even look like I've touched the bag yet!

Always thinking of the next project!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Kirilee

I make an "appointment". If my week is too full, I tell myself something such as "on Saturday night at 8:00, I will treat myself to an hour of crafty time". It's sort of like dangling a carrot in front of my own nose! Then I look forward to my special time. It's a gift to myself!

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Lately I'll play with my scraps and make cards. I cheat and buy the blank cards in white or ivory and just play with the scraps til I get something I like. It took me all weekend of sneaking down to play in btwn all the activities this weekend to make one card , but that's how it has to happen sometimes.
I also will browse scrap mags for inspiration or jot things down in my sketch journal.

dodgercpkl
Expert
dodgercpkl
In response to gluemore girl

I find it easier to digital scrap when I'm low on time. It's so much easier to be able to stop in the middle of something, and hit the save button to work on it later. Nothing to clean up, no worries that someone or something could come by and mess up the page. lol for me at least it works!

Another thought is to maybe have a family scrap time? Let the kids have some inexpensive things to scrap with and have some fun?

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to dodgercpkl

I'm awful, I'll admit it. When the inspiration takes me, I'll stay up after everyone else has gone to bed, all gritty red-eyed, and cranky the next day. But you didn't want to read that, did you?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to RedSquirrel

I organize, update my scrap notebook, make smaller embellishments, precut some things with my cricut.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to binkiemonstermom

Oh, I can always scrap. And for this I am thankful.

I really like all of the ideas given in this thread though.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kelseymel

I also make an appt for myself ... everything else will get done in the time that's left

imo, if you WAIT to have enough time, it will never happen

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to madmatter

Perfect example-This weekend we were getting our garden in and as bad as I wanted to play with my order from SB.com, and some HL clearance goodies, I didnt scrap one minute this weekend!

Usually, I start something in the evenings after the fam activities (dinner, baths etc..) have settled down, and if Im on a roll, I scrap late night to get it done. I also took a mini album to my night shift job and worked on it during breaks, so that helped too! I hate having ideas and not being able to sit down and see them out!

I LOVE the idea of making an 'appt' to scrap. I said that for years about scheduling "Me" time, I never thot of doing it for scrapping!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappyMama6

The only time I can't scrap is when we are out of town or overseas. For that I always have my laptop and every night I recap the entire day in a journal. Then when I put my pages together when I get home, I just edit out about 90% of it!

Made my journaling fast and easy and I don't have to remember anything - important since we are often gone over 2 months at a time!

I also constantly collect things - take-out menus, stuff from cruises and ports and I take photos. Lots of photos!

I also down load every one of the into my computer every night and delete the awful ones and put the rest in a file and date and put where each of them was taken so when I print them out and scrap them, I can look at my file to see the date and where.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Henri Jean

before i go to bed I search for ideas on here and add them to my favorites. Or i go through my magazines. Or organize photos I want to scrap.

Sometimes I"ll doodle a little sketch when an idea comes into my head and go back to it when I have time.

Right now life is very hectic so I will do things in steps. SOmetimes the days aren't in the same week so it might be one night a week I give myself 30 minutes to organize my plan of attack

Day 1: pick out photos and papers I want to use
Day 2: Choose design and embellis
Day 3: Cut/Choose Title and any matting
Day 4: Start working the Layout and cutting papers/ribbons/etc to sizes
Day 5: put it all together
Day 6: Add anything that's missing or fix anyting I want to change.

This weekend I fixed one LO i did last week, started another on Friday night and went back to it yesterday to complete, and printed some photos yesterday for a third. I also started the basics of the third (picked papers, set up design, laid down some matting and flowers and inking

Edited by Just G on 06-06-11 09:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Just G

I had the opposite problem this weekend - I had plenty of time and desire to scrap, but nothing to scrap.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to aquabunny

I crochet, draw, make embellies, look through the gallery here, google random things for inspiration...

Edited by bcblondie on 06-06-11 03:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to bcblondie

I hang out here in the forums

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Luvmyfam

I hang out here or jot down ideas for scrapping. Or I might pull out my gypsy and work on some designs.

blondey040300
Resident
blondey040300
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I was struggling with this last year and ended up not scrapping a SINGLE thing for almost a year! What I found works best for me is if I see something inspiring or think of something, I have been sketching it out really quickly on a piece of paper then adding it to this little journal book I have. At first I didn't think it would actually work for me...But I found that when I have maybe 20 minutes or so of some time...I have been flipping through the journal and getting some quick ideas and doing very quick pages or starting a page and kind of working on it when I can. It helps to sometimes just be able to be creative for 20 minutes here and there..I don't feel so guilty now that all my crafty stuff is just sitting around collecting dust. Whereas before I wasn't even going into my scrap room because I thought that if I couldn't devote hours at a time it wasn't worth it...Hope this helps

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to blondey040300

many of the daily things that keep you busy can be done on "auto pilot." I use the mental freedom to lay out pages in my mind, come up with titles, or I will think of some journaling caption to go with the pictures. This time is valuable to me, and I (usually) get all my stuff done.

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to jaspernonyx

I had some extra time the last few weeks and so I have gone on a organizational binge. I have been organizing my papers, pictures, supplies so that when I don't have as much time, I know what I have and where it is.

My biggest way to organize is using ziploc bags. I have 2-gallon bags for my 12x12 papers, gallon bags for my embellishments, and quart bags for my pictures. An example about the pictures is last year my sister finally ordered her wedding pictures and gave them to me to scrap for her. There were over 700 pictures to pick from. I spent an afternoon organizing them into similar themed ones (ie: rehersal dinner, family breakfast, reception, getting dressed, set-up, bride, groom, kissing, etc.) Then I put each set of pictures into ziploc bags. I had about 75 bags of pictures. Lots I won't use, but having them in the bags makes it easy because I know what pictures there are and all I have to do is grab a bag and then get coordinating papers, embellies, etc.

This has allowed me to make use of 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there and get pages done. There was a big time investment initally, but now, getting pages done is a cinch!

Good luck!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics