Username Post: George cartridge        (Topic#1560315)
Katlady
Veteran
Katlady

I was just looking at Craig's list and someone is selling a George cartridge for $5. It does not have the overlay. This would still be a great value right? I already have it so I'm not interested but if someone else wants it, what a great deal! It has the manual.

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to Katlady

George comes with most Cricut models, so I imagine most people have it. I think it might be hard to use without the overlay.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

Unless you have the CE2, how would you use any cartridge without the overlay? Well, I guess if you're using the CDS or the Gypsy you could.

Fortunes Fool
Governor
Fortunes Fool
In response to Scrapsaholic

You can buy replacement overlays from Cricut, so a missing overlay isnt that big of a problem.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Fortunes Fool

Actually, you can print a copy of the overlay from the internet, tape it to the cover of the cricut for reference and use another font overlay.
I did this because I found out how to access the George cartridge that was installed from the factory. My cricut was sold with Plantin Schoolbook. There is more information on this somewhere on the forums. I am just not sure where I found it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrapnread

Overlays are $7 on cricut.com.....

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to ScrappyMama6

Oh, I didn't know you could buy overlays separate. Sounds like a good deal then.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Scrapsaholic

I wouldn't pay a dime for it. I hate the font and the shapes are pretty basic. Don't get me wrong, I do use it (for the basic shapes), but I wouldn't go out and purchase it if it didn't come with my machine.

For someone who wants it though, I think $5 is a good price.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I wouldn't pay a dime for it. I hate the font and the shapes are pretty basic. Don't get me wrong, I do use it (for the basic shapes), but I wouldn't go out and purchase it if it didn't come with my machine.

For someone who wants it though, I think $5 is a good price.

If you have the Expression, you don't have to pay for it. The George cartridge is already installed in your machine. It is used test the machine at the factory, or at least that is what I have read. Anyways, google Canadian Crafter Make Your Own George cartridge for instructions on how to access the font. It is a very basic cartridge, but that font is one like, so I use it quite often.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to scrapnread

I didn't think I would use the basic shapes either, but when I went to make a banner I was so glad I had the triangles. Though it is basically a boring cartridge from time to time I'm glad I have it. My expressions came with only Picturesque. My daughters didn't come with George, another friend came with only Don Juan, so there might be someone out there who would love to have it for 5 bucks! And with so many people who probably have the George, the 5 dollar investor can borrow someones overlay and Xerox it so they have something to referrence w/o going crazy!

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Lauri D

as long as you can get/make an overlay $5 will be a great deal. i myself have kept it for the basic shapes. i rarely use it but man does it come in handy when you need a circle, square, triangle, etc.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 06-26-11 11:17 AM
In response to Katlady

My expression came with plantin schoolbook not george. I just bought it for a friend at a LSS garage sale for $15 because she had just called me asking if I had it because she wanted to use the triangles.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Hev

I saw this on Craigslist today too. I would probably go for it if I didn't already have George. I like the idea of printing/copying the overlay or just ordering one from Cricut.com.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to married05

I placed an ebay order for the George cartridge. I was the only bidder. The price was set for $22.99 plus $1.99 for shipping. The item was listed as "New." However, after I paid for it, I realized the vendor didn't mention whether it had been linked with a Gypsy.

Since that cart is unsealed (as it only came with the cricut machine), there was no guarantee that it hadn't been linked. So I sent an email to the vendor to inquire. They responded and said they weren't sure if it had been linked and offered to cancel the transaction, which I accepted.

I will wait to see if I can find a better price later, with more of a guarantee that the item is really new and unused.

By the way, there are thousands of local Craigslists all over the country. It certainly wasn't listed in mine.

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
I placed an ebay order for the George cartridge. I was the only bidder. The price was set for $22.99 plus $1.99 for shipping. The item was listed as "New." However, after I paid for it, I realized the vendor didn't mention whether it had been linked with a Gypsy.

Since that cart is unsealed (as it only came with the cricut machine), there was no guarantee that it hadn't been linked. So I sent an email to the vendor to inquire. They responded and said they weren't sure if it had been linked and offered to cancel the transaction, which I accepted.

I will wait to see if I can find a better price later, with more of a guarantee that the item is really new and unused.

By the way, there are thousands of local Craigslists all over the country. It certainly wasn't listed in mine

I saw it on the Cleveland, Ohio list.

Edited by Katlady on 06-27-11 09:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics