Username Post: So Confused        (Topic#1560691)
Expert

I've been looking at the big shot pro and the grand calibur spellbinders. The price of the big shot is a little high for me, so I am seriously considering the grand calibur. Now...here is the question. What do I need to get started? I'm seeing embossing folders and nestabilities..etc..etc. I don't understand A2 etc. What sizes of folders can I use? I watched a couple of youtube videos and it seems that I would be able to use all the sizes of grand nestabilities? Is that right? Head is spinning and before I invest a couple of hundred dollars, I want to make sure I can at least actually make something.. You all are sooo helpful. Thank you so much.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to deedee49

the grand calibur is a manual die cutting and embossing machine. It cuts all the nesties INCLUDING the grand nesties,,,,,,,I wish my regular big shot did that,,,,,

anyway,,,,,,,,,embossing folders are plastic folders you put paper in and roll through the machine,,,,,it makes designs (bumps) on the paper,,,,this is called DRY embossing,,,,,

A2 is the SIZE of a standard card,,,,,4.25X5.5. What they mean is that the embossing folders are the size that would fit on an A2 card,,,,,

They also have 5X7 (A7) folders,,,,,you should be able to use both in the grand calibur.

Nestabilities are dies that you use to cut paper with,,,,,,they "nest" or fit inside eachother,,,,,,they make awesome frames and mats for images, stamps, etc,,,,,,

I'd recommend getting a nestie or two and a couple embossing folders to see what you like and what you use

HTH!

Expert
In response to CommaHolly

I knew you would respond, Holly, as I've seen you respond to other spellbinders questions...THANK YOU! I guess I just figured that my cricut would "do it all", but...I am liking the look of the embossing. Just something else to spend my money on..ha ha. Sounds like an expensive proposition. Glad I have a clue as to what I would need. There are so many things I really don't have a clue about. Trying to learn here. Again...thank you for all your help!

Edited by deedee49 on 07-01-11 07:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to deedee49

Holly pretty much covered it all. I've been giving the Grand Calibur the "come to mama" eye since my friend Bren (Brenscraps) starting making shaped cards using the grand nesties. I even had a coupon for 55% off at AC Moore and didn't get it...I'm trying hard to resist because I am not sure how much I'd use it.

You can also go tothe superstore, then from there, the product pages of the things that interest you. There will be links to layouts and cards that used that product. You can check out things you like that way, too.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to siameseplease

There has been some very good deals posted lately on the big shot pro. I perferred it over anything else since it can do it all.

Veteran
In response to binkiemonstermom

Ladies, if I might tag along another question regarding dies (I feel its a dumb question, but it's been bugging me for a while) I see that some have a thin 'frame' that makes the cut (nesties), while others have a solid, filled in die that make the cut (and maybe some emboss as well?) Is it just a difference in how companies make their dies, or is there any other advantage of one over the other? Thank you!

Expert
In response to binkiemonstermom

I do like the big shot pro....but what are the advantages? Can you use different companies dies and folders in either? (meaning the big shot and the grand calibur) I was looking at the different dies and folders, most say "only for these machines". This will be a fairly large inital purchase for the machine, a couple of dies and some folders, so I want to be sure of what I want.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to deedee49

Here is a comparison chart.

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/38007/36 3.html

If you look in the resources under "Die Cutting MAchines" there are a lot of articles that answer these questions.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SunnyAB

• SunnyAB Said:
Ladies, if I might tag along another question regarding dies (I feel its a dumb question, but it's been bugging me for a while) I see that some have a thin 'frame' that makes the cut (nesties), while others have a solid, filled in die that make the cut (and maybe some emboss as well?) Is it just a difference in how companies make their dies, or is there any other advantage of one over the other? Thank you!

the wafer thin dies, like nesties, are small, easier to store (and lose, so be careful I lost one of my nesties for A WEEK til I found it in my scrap box!),,,,,,I have both kinds, I prefer the wafer thin, especially nesties,,,,,,they NEST inside eachother and have a ton of options.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to CommaHolly

I had a grand calibur and sent it back because I couldn't use the thicker dies in it. I love the Tim Holtz dies. I'm still able to use the nesties in my Big Shot, just not the grand nesties.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

the big shot pro uses all dies!!!! You just have to find the right "sandwhich" to put in the machine. And that isn't to hard, you can always use pieces of paper to add to the bottom to boast up your die a little bit!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics