Username Post: sketches???        (Topic#1561255)
New Kid On the Block

Hello all,
I would like to get some ideas on how to organize sketches. What kind of storage type do ya'll use?
(binders,hanging files,etc.)
and also what kind of order do you file them in?
thanks for any suggestions!

bwasek
bwasek 
Expert
bwasek
In response to idkmuch

I keep all my sketches on my computer in folders like I do my pictures. I have a folder for sketches then under that folder I have several labeled 1 pic, 2, pic, 3, pic etc.

I typically get them online so it makes it easy that way. If I have a hard copy of one i love i scan it then file it!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to bwasek

I have a binder that I made from Office Max- and used page protectors. I have over 200 sketches that I have found in magazines or online!!! I just grab the binder and go to work!!!!!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to binkiemonstermom

I use a binder with divider tabs. I organize the 12 x 12 by the website that I downloaded them from. Then I have extra tabs for card maps, round maps, tag maps, and half maps. I take the binder with me to every crop and usually I mark a tiny check mark at the corner of the sketch when I use it.

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I have a small binder in my scraproom with sketches (PageMaps from 2005-2008, I think, divided by year and then sections for cards, 6x6/8x8, etc) and also a lot saved on my computer. Saving on the computer was okay when I scrapped in my livingroom but now that I have my own tiny little space in the garage, the computer doesn't work. So, I either need to get my old laptop up and running for storing sketches and internet access or I need to get a big binder and start printing.

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to CSMmom

I use a recipe box. I've cut out the sketches, glued them onto recipe cards and filed them by number of pictures, double page LO's and cards. Then I made cute little dividers with tabs that I can see and get ahold of. I also covered my recipe boxes with scrapbook paper cuz they were Christmas ones I got on clearance.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to VickieW

• VickieW Said:
I use a recipe box. I've cut out the sketches, glued them onto recipe cards and filed them by number of pictures, double page LO's and cards. Then I made cute little dividers with tabs that I can see and get ahold of. I also covered my recipe boxes with scrapbook paper cuz they were Christmas ones I got on clearance.

I like this idea!

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls

I save pictures of my favorite sketches in a file on my computer, along with the blog name where it came from. Then I copy the picture into Microsoft Word, scale it down to fit 4 onto a page and print them out. I made a mini album that's the perfect size to hold them...

*There are pictures of the inside pages on my blog here...

So far it's working great for me! Right now I have them all in alphabetical order but eventually I'm thinking they'll be seperated by the number of pictures they represent...

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

I also like the idea of a recipe books. I have asked the same question not too long ago on a Dutch scrapbook forum and someone told me she is keeping her sketches in those little picture maps, also categorized under several tags.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to scrappingmommyof2girls

• scrappingmommyof2girls Said:
I save pictures of my favorite sketches in a file on my computer, along with the blog name where it came from. Then I copy the picture into Microsoft Word, scale it down to fit 4 onto a page and print them out. I made a mini album that's the perfect size to hold them...

*There are pictures of the inside pages on my blog here...

So far it's working great for me! Right now I have them all in alphabetical order but eventually I'm thinking they'll be seperated by the number of pictures they represent...

I like how this book is free standing. It would make it convenient for crop especially so you don't lose your sketch in the piles of scrappy goodness! LOL

I'm liking to read how people organize their sketches. It almost makes me want to reorganize mine. Almost being the key word, in efforts to save paper I printed double sided for my binder so I would have a LOT to reprint.

s_healy1110
Resident
s_healy1110

Check out this website:

http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=4993

If you don't mind your sketches being a little smaller, this is a really cute idea!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to VickieW

I did the same thing- used index cards and divided them by number of photos in the LO. That is how I work so it was the best idea for me. I have three full index card boxes and another one started.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 07-13-11 07:22 PM
In response to idlewoman

i keep sketches in a simple binder from wally world. i put them in page protectors and organize them by size - 12x12, double lo, card....

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to timon

do you keep and organize only the sketches, or do you add a picture of a sample layout to it? Do pics of layouts help your creativity?
I have pages maps 1 & 2 and I like the cards with the layouts on one side and samples on the other. I also like the format, and I think I'll reorganize all my sketches into a recipe box like Vickie. But if I have to save/print/glue a sample manually for each sketch I printed, I'll go nuts!

New Kid On the Block
In response to vanilaa

thank ya'll so much!!!
My mind is working overtime now on how I want to organize them.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to vanilaa

• vanilaa Said:
do you keep and organize only the sketches, or do you add a picture of a sample layout to it? Do pics of layouts help your creativity?
I have pages maps 1 & 2 and I like the cards with the layouts on one side and samples on the other. I also like the format, and I think I'll reorganize all my sketches into a recipe box like Vickie. But if I have to save/print/glue a sample manually for each sketch I printed, I'll go nuts!

I keep only the sketches. I've had people tell me that they like how I have them printed in black and white because it helps them to make it their own. (i.e. The might see a red, white and blue fourth of July LO and not be able to envision how to make it a pink, white and green baby girl LO)

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa

Thanks Amanda, this is a really good point! I didn't think of that I'll just reorganize the sketches then

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics