Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: what do you think of controversial subjects        (Topic#1562389)
planty
planty 
Diva
planty

I know this could be a HUGE can of worms and I don't want to cause trouble for the mods. But I have a few personal pages that I have done and not shared on this board. I did one that was personal I ended up posting because I was in the darker side challenge. This is it... Its not something really bad but I almost didn't post it due to the personal nature. the call for reapers. Darker side challenge for apr. By Planty

Does anyone else make pages that are on controversial subjects? I look at my pages as art.. which I'm sure many of you do too.

Lets face it life isn't a bucket of roses... we all have things that effect us in our daily lives that perhaps we would use scrapbooking to help us deal with.

But what I'm truly wondering is if anyone posts these types of things in the gallery...

If you were to come across something you feel is controversial would you voice your opinion on the comment section? Or would you just move on and leave people to think what they want to.

I personally just leave things like that alone.. which is why I do not post something I think would cause upset to others.

But then again I feel like.. I worked really hard on the pages.. These types of pages usually have more of my soul on them than the cute ones of my kids playing in the water. It would be nice to share them...

I don't know it was just something I was pondering and thought I would ask what others think and feel.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to planty

• planty Said:
I know this could be a HUGE can of worms and I don't want to cause trouble for the mods. But I have a few personal pages that I have done and not shared on this board. I did one that was personal I ended up posting because I was in the darker side challenge. This is it... Its not something really bad but I almost didn't post it due to the personal nature. the call for reapers. Darker side challenge for apr. By Planty

Does anyone else make pages that are on controversial subjects? I look at my pages as art.. which I'm sure many of you do too.

Lets face it life isn't a bucket of roses... we all have things that effect us in our daily lives that perhaps we would use scrapbooking to help us deal with.

But what I'm truly wondering is if anyone posts these types of things in the gallery...

If you were to come across something you feel is controversial would you voice your opinion on the comment section? Or would you just move on and leave people to think what they want to.

I personally just leave things like that alone.. which is why I do not post something I think would cause upset to others.

But then again I feel like.. I worked really hard on the pages.. These types of pages usually have more of my soul on them than the cute ones of my kids playing in the water. It would be nice to share them...

I don't know it was just something I was pondering and thought I would ask what others think and feel.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer

Personally, I dont think it would be kind or necessary to comment on anything BUT the artistic side of the LO. If someone didn't like or wasnt comfortable with a LO about hunting, a miscarriage, suicide, cancer, etc.....we all have the option to pass on commenting.

That being said...if someone chooses to post a truly personal LO on a public, world-wide board/forum, they should be prepared for the indiscreet, belittling, argumentative and rude comments that are sure to come.

Scrapbooking IS art and therapeudic and a way to work out the emotions and/or bring closure to the rough times.

We can all choose to elevate ourselves and this site above all the controversy and not allow the petty, bitter, judgemental comments to hurt our fellow scrappers. We CAN support, comfort and upbuild one another. We CAN keep our opinions to ourselves and/or abide by the golden rule.

Beautiful LO BTW.....thank you for sharing..

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to ScrappyMama6

I think Teresa said it exactly. I have only come across one LO here that has offended me and it was the attitude/joking nature of the subject (I'm not going to share) and that was years ago now. I don't comment if I don't like it. That simple.

We are all entitled to scrap our feelings, our thoughts, no matter how personal. My pages are my art. I have MANY I haven't shared because they are mine and I want them to myself lol. Don't be ashamed or discouraged if you do want to share. There are rules here and as long as you stay within them I don't see a problem at all... just be prepared for those that DO think life is a pocket full of posies ALL of the time.

Left you some love

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I too think you should post what you create as long as it respects the rules of the site. I don't post all my LO's here but I put them on other sites where more personal LOs are the norm/encouraged. I felt like I found Scrap heaven when I discovered some "alternative scrap sites" cause it gave me a platform to share LOs that included the good, the bad and the ugly. I too don't comment if I don't have anything nice to say, just like my mama taught me. My cousin has a saying that she loves to repeat to her staff, "consider your audience." I do not consider my pages works of art but they are very much my creative outlet for self expression and therefore therapeutic which is why like you, I want to post them or share them. I think we learn and grow when we share our experiences and scrapping these types of LOs facilitates that. I think there is a bravery that people exhibit when they share these things. LOL, in a nut shell, find your audience and share your art girl!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Ms. Mom

I know of someone who is a member here who hasn't post the art journal type pages she's been making lately because she doesn't think they 'fit' or would be well received here.

I would like to think that anyone can post anything they choose within the sites TOUs and if someone is offended/upset they would ignore and move on.

We all have the right to cover any subject we like - choosing to be offended or not is also a right but shouldn't stop another person's freedom to create as they see fit.

Posting on the internet inevitably invites comment and opinions but if we all stopped to consider the potential possibility of upsetting someone somewhere nothing would ever get posted. That responsibility, I believe, lies with the viewer not the artist.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to scrappercaz

A lot of subjects are dear to me - but I don't necessarily even scrap about them. You know, that turning point in your life . . . that profound moment . . . the wake-up call - those tend to stay in my head. I may scrap them later. But some scrappers are offended by flowers on a boy LO - so that being said post at your own discretion. It is a public site and some people feel the need to make a comment no matter how inappropriate. I do really like your LO btw.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Vivian Lake

I would focus my commentary on the artistic aspects of a personal page. If I feel like someone's (readable) journaling opens an opportunity, I offer a cyber hug; but that's about it.

Your page is beautiful and I hope to leave love later today.

...I'm still thinking about your OP. For what it's worth, I plan on focusing a portion of my scrapping energy to my current journey with cancer. I also plan on posting them here. Most of them won't be happy hunky dory; but at least you can rest assured that your thoughts will have company.

Edited by MommaSaid on 08-04-11 07:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to MommaSaid

I personally don't feel that it's a problem to post a LO about a possibly controversial topic. If you're comfortable sharing, go right ahead. I actually prefer seeing these types of pages; I find them to be much more interesting. Of course, as others have said, there is always the (very good) chance that there will be negative feedback. While I support everyone's right to say what they think, I wish that people would take a more live and let live approach and not comment on someone's work rather than belittle them over a personal feeling.

Your LO is stunning. TFS!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to *jesse*

First, I love that LO Planty!! It is great!

Second, I def have done pages that I will not post here. Some because of the language, and some because of the subject.

I think that is due to the "family-nicey-nicey" attitude of the site. I like it for the most part, but it is not really conducive to some alternative layouts.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Manda_K

have to be honest ... I've never scrapped a "controversial" subject, but I think your LO is fascinating and provocative and very, very pretty

thank you so much for sharing the LO and allowing people to share their thoughts (the good, the bad, and the ugly)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

To me, scrapping is capturing our thoughts and feelings. When I scrap I always have in the back of my mind, "Someday my kids and their kids may read these pages. Is this a part of me that I want to share with them?" and if so, I scrap it.

I think what you scrapped will give those who love you a chance to know you and understand what you are all about and how you felt about things and that is very good.

Since scrapping, to me, is a medium through which future generations can get to know us, then I think it should be scrapped.

Some people will agree with you, some will not, but those who do will have a bond with you and those who do not agree will still know you better.

I would like to think we are big boys and girls here and can listen to someone express their views in a layout without getting our feathers ruffled or having to jump in on the validity of the artisits feelings on the controversial subject.

Offensive is something completely different. That is why we have Megan with her mop.

But controversy makes people think. I'm fine with it.

Cricutgirlg
Pro
Cricutgirlg
In response to Henri Jean

I think its up to you. I've posted private LOs before and they were well received on the boards that I'm on. In 2010 I had a cousin who was murder and it was so painful for my family that they asked me to scrapbook it as a way to get through the healing process and I shared the LOs on line ( I'm not sure if its here); I received some wonderful and supportive comments on them. Life isn't all pretty and full of funny moments, but as a community who appreciate the art scrapbooking, I think its great that we can offer comments on the downside of life in a constructive way. Thanks for posting this topic.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Cricutgirlg

When it is a topic that is out of the norm or a LO that I don't find appealing.....I wouldn't say anything..I move on. I wouldn't tell the person...gee, I feel as though your LO is to plain, nor would I say I saw the topic to be offensive. I would move on. You can't please everyone!!! And I have lived by the rule online that is I can't say something nice, I don't say anything at all. Forums are great....when everyone plays nice!!!!

Beautiful LO by the way!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to binkiemonstermom

I agree with everything said and add this perspective...

I think of everyone's "My Place" as just that, its your home here on the site. I think it would be in incredibly bad taste to go to someone's "home" and insult them.
There is just no need for it, especially since viewers have a choice in which layouts one views.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to jaxxan

Trubble? Not for me. That's a cool page.

I don't post stuff that's deeply personal anywhere, but that's me - I don't live out in "public" at all.

Far as the gallery goes, as long as it sticks to board rules, I don't ever remember whacking anything. Nekkidness - real or stamped - does get whacked, simply because we have folks who let their kids look in our gallery.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Thank you so much you guys. I personally have a 'to each their own' attitude and would NEVER insult anyone. I too only say nice things. Which this site is lovely for.

I was just curious if others thought how I did. I feel the same way as Henri does. One day my personal pages will open a door for a family member to know me. I would LOVE to have something like that in my hands today. So many tidbits of who we are get lost in just two generations. Its like we have these stories that were passed down about members of our family..things get so lost in translation. The person I am now will not be the same as I will be at 80+ years. Yet who I am now will shape and mold who I will be at 80..

I also LOVE history and some things I am involved in, at some point in time, may or may not make the history books. It would be lovely for others to have a first hand account of my feelings and reasons for fighting for my cause.

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to planty

I think of scrapbook pages as a journal of sort and as I make scrapbook pages, I try to keep that in mind. What will my grand/great grandkids want to know about our family - from info/stories/pics about my grandparents to my parents and brothers to my immediate family.

I will admit more are funny, than are serious but this discussion has intrigued me. I am going to challenge myself to at least one page in the near future about a more serious/difficult subject, which will probably be when my son was burned 9 years ago. I've worked through most of it but making that page might be the final piece for me to let go of the last strands of guilt.

Great Topic. Thanks! Dori

margar60
Resident
margar60
In response to planty

Death is part of living. No getting around it, everything dies at some point. Since our daughter lives in Mo and we are in Ok, we don't see her or the granddaughters often. Our horses have become like children to us. In the last year, we have had to make the awful decision to end the lives of 4 of them due to health issues. We each write a letter to the horse and put it in a zip lock bag then drop it into the grave. I usually do a lo in honor of the horse. This helps with the greiving process. I like your lo, it is beautifuly done. Hugs.

Maggie

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to margar60

• margar60 Said:
Death is part of living. No getting around it, everything dies at some point. Since our daughter lives in Mo and we are in Ok, we don't see her or the granddaughters often. Our horses have become like children to us. In the last year, we have had to make the awful decision to end the lives of 4 of them due to health issues. We each write a letter to the horse and put it in a zip lock bag then drop it into the grave. I usually do a lo in honor of the horse. This helps with the greiving process. I like your lo, it is beautifuly done. Hugs.

Maggie

This brought tears to my eyes. I am deeply sorry for such a loss. My mom just lost one of her dogs that we all loved so much. The wounds are still sore. I still haven't made a page of her..

Belia 
Tenant
  • Belia on 08-05-11 07:25 PM
In response to planty

When I see a LO on a scrapbooking site, I focus on the scrapbooking part, not the content of the page.

I mean, sure, the content of the page registers to me. "Oh, its a page about a baby boy, it's a page about a vacation, its a page about a birthday" etc etc etc.

But on a scrapbooking site, I assume folks are posting because they want feedback about their page... not the content, but the LO, paper, construction, elements, design, embellishments, etc. And that is all that I would comment on.

I would offer a virtual hug if it seemed appropriate, but that's the end of it.

When in doubt, I would also err on the side of kindness and/or silence.

And seeing something controversial or sensitive from anyone would not bother me one bit.

Now I'm off to check out your page!!! It looks gorgeous.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics