Username Post: i need ideas on how to bind a book without a bind it all or clinch        (Topic#1563977)
ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

I watched a tutorial on how to punch the holes and use the binding wire but the journal I am making is 200 pages and to hand punch is going to take forever...have any of you ever taken your materials to an office supply store and have them punch it for you? Or any other ideas? Thank you for your help!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ReadySetDistress

If you have a drill press you can clamp all the pages together and drill them.

I CAN tell you- the wires WILL NOT bind anything more than about 50 pages.

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress
In response to Seaexplore

the largest size and gage wont? You have got to be kidding me?

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

Maybe i should explain what I am making. I am making a journal out of chipboard, 8 1/2 x 11 paper. The chipboard cover will be made into a gatefold and the spiral bound journal will be inside. The last page of the journal is thin chipboard that will be attached to the base. So will it work for that? Please tell me it will...

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

Oh and I actually bought the clinch wire by we r memory makers

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

nope- the wires will not bind something that thick.

I made a nanny book for my sister- it had chipboard front and back covers with I think around 90 pages (double side printed) and it was a stretch to get the largest wires to close.

200 pages is WAY too many I think. Have you checked out the zutter or cinch site to see how thick you can do?

Basically, the measurement of the wire (1", 1.25", etc...) is the MAXIMUM thickness of your project- front, middle, back all together.

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

It is printed front and back and with the thin chipboard back it measures 1in total. I counted the pages and its a total of 164. I really need this to work.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss

• ReadySetDistress Said:
It is printed front and back and with the thin chipboard back it measures 1in total. I counted the pages and its a total of 164. I really need this to work.

Its not going to work with owires. I would say take it to your local binding/printing shop.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to amandahugandkiss

• amandahugandkiss Said:
  • ReadySetDistress Said:

Its not going to work with owires. I would say take it to your local binding/printing shop.

I second this. They'll punch and bind it for you. AND it's pretty darn affordable. Don't try to punch it and take it to a print shop for binding as your holes might not match up with their bindings. Trust me, I've punched and then taken it in and it wasn't pretty.

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

man I don't want that plastic stuff...I like the wire look...I can't believe the wire isn't strong enough...so frustrating...

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 09-05-11 06:09 PM

The only thing I can suggest is getting the book punched and use individual binding rings.

They will give a metal look but it will not look as professional or sit as well as using the plastic spine.

I recently replaced a damaged wire spine with binding rings.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Obi

The wire is plenty strong, it just doesn't have a large enough diameter.

You can try it, but I highly doubt it'll work.

Check with copy places, they may have wire bindings. It's called a double O wire. Ask around.

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

I just finished the gatefold journal that I was using the cinch metal binding and it worked!!! 160 pages in a 1 inch binding...thought I would share!!! I love how it turned out!

Inside of the Gatefold Journal By ReadySetDistress

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

GREAT JOB! Glad it worked! How did you close the rings w/o a machine?

ReadySetDistress
Diva
ReadySetDistress

With my hands, I watched a tutorial by TracysTreasures TracysTreasures on youtube...and I took it to officemax to have the holes punch since there were so many pages and it worked perfect. They gave me the clear back as included in punching the holes. I gave it to her this morning and she loved it...we had the idea to make one to promote me selling things and she would use it to preach from so people would see it...well today she was in awe and said it was to pretty to write in...lol I am so glad it worked cause it just wouldn't have been as good as the plastic look.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Great job!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics