Username Post: Slice machine on sale at AC Moore        (Topic#1564109)
Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

It was several weeks ago that I'd seen more than a dozen Slice machines on sale at AC Moore for $50. I passed it up but changed my mind. When I went back a couple of days later, they were all gone.

Last night I stopped in the store to browse. Lo and behold, there were 4 Slice machines on sale for $50 again. I bought it this time, and also an extra 12" glass plate that was on clearance for $9.95.

After I took it home and read the manual, I had second thoughts about the purchase. It needs a special adhesive to use on the glass plate (it comes with a small plate), and this looks like an extra expense. The "Basic 1" cartridge it comes with has very limited designs. It requires a considerable investment in more cartridges to be more useful. The unit needs to be held down during cutting, or else needs a separate "no-hands" mat, at another extra expense. Replacement blades will be needed, and a special wrench for changing blades. A kit with tools is extra. The machine uses rechargeable batteries which are not user-replaceable when they finally wear out.

I already have a cricut expression and a large collection of cartridges and accessories for that machine. I thought the little Slice would be a nice addition to my crafting tools, but not if it needs all those extras. Also, when I checked the "Slice" forum here, some of the comments about the machine were not very favorable.

So I repacked the machine in the box the same way it was and I will take it back to the store today or tomorrow, together with the 12" glass plate.

What do you think? Should I keep it or return it? Is there any other use for the extra 12" plate aside from the Slice machine? I already have a self-healing mat that I use for crafting purposes.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Solitaire

I dont have one for that very reason. I looked at one before Bf got me the E for Xmas 2 yrs ago, and I said no way.

Id return it. That's a lot of bling and Primas you can get for $60+

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 09-09-11 08:59 AM
In response to ScrappyMama6

Agreed

Yep our tools can be expensive .. but if we optimize what we purchase/when etc ... we can make it go a long way.

The Slice sounds like a money pit ...

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to Juggy

DO NOT PURCHASE A SLICE - Making Memories does not stand by their products. Mine bit the dust and now I am left with useless (to me) Design Cards, a Slice tote bag, design card holder and refill blades.

If someone wants to purchase them from me, please PM me and I can let you know what I have.

Second inferior product that I have purchased from MM.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

If I had to choose between my Cricut and my Slice - I'd keep the Slice. I like using it so much better.

I use a 12 x 12 glass and put the stuff on a year ago and it is still working. Thta has not been an expense. One of the cardmakers said she did hers 2 years earlier and its still tacky. Not a problem.

It cuts much faster than the Cricut. Ieach letter is about 2 seconds so I don't mind holding it at all. And to me, a much cleaner cut that the Cricut.

I like my Cricut - I LOVE my slice.

I buy cartridges on discount and on sales all the time. Between Cricut and Slice, I have a lot of images.

Slice throws in my crop wagon and goes with me to crops. So much easier to use than the SLice.

And I use my 12 x 12 for other things too - in fact enough that I bought a second one. One stays in my crop wagon and one is with my scrap supplies at home.

After a year and a half - I'm still on the first blade.

I plug it in to use it so the batteries aren't an issue to me.

I think the Slice is one of the neatest tools out there. If anything happens to mine - I would buy a new one the next day even at the price I paid for mine - $179.00. They used to cost more. Worth every penny to me.

I bought the tool kit - never used it. It has never been opened. I have spare blades but I'm not sure I'll need one in my lifetime. Even at crops, havne't found anyone who has had to change one.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to sbartist

• Quote:
Second inferior product that I have purchased from MM.

What was the first?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Bonnie - what design carts do you want to get rid of? Don't need blades or tote or card holder, but can use design cards! I'm always looking for them.

What color is you card holder? Maybe a second one wouldn't hurt!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

The MM Precision Trimmer - the markings wore off.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

Henri - I will have to wait until I am at home to list the design cards I own.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

And see the 3 kayaks in the uppper left corner:

Kayak By Sbartist

I attempted several cuts w/my Slice to get them to cut w/o ripping where you see the zig zag. I wasted several of them because even after cleaning my mat and reapplying adhesive AND changing the blade, it would not cut correctly.

So what did I have to do? I traced one that cut wonky and HAND CUT it out with scissors, went through my QK dies to find appropriate shapes to make the black cut-outs (to include the zig zag) and glued them on.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to sbartist

I have the slice and the expression and I love both... I don't use special glue, I use the cheapest repositional spray I can find and it works out great!!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to debby_westbrook

I used Spray Tack on my glass mat, not Slice Adhesive.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

Such a shame that it doesn't work right. I remember how kind you were to let us all use yours when we were in Portland - Raquel had her own but the rest of us were all using yours!

That is where I learned how to use it!

Your kayaks turned out awesome! Hat that your Slice gave up the ghost!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

are those items being discontinued or just on clearance there?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mia1979

Bonnie's Slice got sick and died. They won't replace or repair for free becuase it is out of warranty so she is selling the cartridges, tote bag, cartridge holder and other Slice things.

Told her I wanted to know what cartridges and also, maybe the cartridge holder.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I returned the Slice to AC Moore tonight. I stopped at Michael's first and conferred with an associate. She recommended returning the Slice since I already have a cricut, don't have enough storage space, and want to avoid additional expenses with more cartridges, etc.

The Slice was on clearance and it was a final sale. It was in pristine condition as I put it back in the package exactly the way it was when I bought it. I told them at AC Moore that I just bought it yesterday and couldn't use it. I asked if they could just give me store credit. Finally, they relented and gave me a refund.

So glad that's over with. I really like to try before I buy. That was the case with the cricut, which I used during Michael's crop nights. It turns out that they also have a slice in the classroom but I didn't know about it, nor would I have gotten a chance to use it before deciding to buy one the last minute. When I saw the Slice at AC Moore, I was afraid they would soon be gone. They only had 4. Last time, they had over a dozen and they were all gone in a couple of days. So I bought it right then and there without a chance to research it.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Solitaire

I read over on the veggie board that Making Memories was going out of business. I would be wary of buying a Slice if this is really true.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to married05

If my Slice worked better, I'd love it more than my Cricut. It doesn't cut well cause I never got the upgrade. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics