Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Glossy or Matte Photo Finish?        (Topic#1566987)
twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday

Hi All

What is your preferred photo finish? Matte or Glossy?

I have been printing on Kodak Glossy but I am not sure I like it.The quality is not what I want for layouts I will have for years to come.

I have a new Canon Pixma MX882 printer so maybe it is the printer I don't like. The printer got very good reviews.

Any strong opinions?

Thanks

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to twosmilestoday

I do not print mine at home but I have always gotten glossy but I get great results because my photo developer has Fuji equipment & I have a Fuji digital camera

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

For printing at home?

I print very little myself, I prefer to use the lab (those I typically get in gloss). But when I do print at home, I use the HP Premium Plus Soft Gloss. It's a matte-type finish, not really glossy.

I've always heard the rule of thumb is to use the same brand paper as your printer (e.g. HP printer, HP paper).

I bought some Kodak paper on sale and was VERY disappointed. I would NOT buy it again.

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 11-18-11 03:30 PM

I've always like matte finish over glossy, even on my walls.

Barbara

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Lunie

I prefer matte, especially for scrapping because it doesn't show finger prints.

New Kid On the Block
In response to pugs223

Hi

I prefer matte finish but I find when you put your photos behind the page protector it doesn't really matter anyway. I think your printer would be perfectly fine - I've always used Cannon Pixma but you MUST MUST use cannon inks and cannon photo paper to get the best results. Anything else will look terrible.

Lenethren
Governor
Lenethren
In response to mfelesina

I prefer matte.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Lenethren

Because of the way light reflects off of the paper, glossy is ALWAYS going to appear sharper and more in focus than matte.

I do not trust Kodak. I've been lied to by too many of their reps during camera training sessions about the capabilities of the cameras and printers to buy anything with the name Kodak on it. Decades ago, they were the best in the business, but they've rested on their reputation.

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to moxiegirl23

I am ordering some Canon paper to see if it makes a difference. I really don't want to return and buy a new printer. I will try the canon paper to go with the canon printer.

Thanks

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I work in photo processing and find that most of my customers prefer matte finish. It's my favorite too! A majority of my orders are also 35mm film developing. I hardly ever get an order from digital. Makes me believe that digital users tend to just print at home or online.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to olleharr

Matte finish, because I'll get fingerprints all over it if it's glossy.

And while all my photos are digital at this point, I never ever print at home - I upload and pick up in store because I hate waiting for shipping. I've stopped using the Walgreen's nearest me due to the lower-quality matte photo paper they've started using, but another Walgreen's about 20 minutes away is still using the good stuff.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to aquabunny

Prefer to go to a lab and matte finish! Just like the feel of matte in layouts!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Sneezy1956

Matte photos!
I too am a digital photographer who sends my pictures to the lab as well. I only print off the printer for a quick thing like a school project for the kids.

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to jaxxan

I've switched to matte finish. Mostly because of finger print issues. But recently, I had a white gel pen explode all over my scrap room (I was shaking it a little and white ink flew everywhere!) and I had a stack of pictures on my counter. I picked up the picture a few hours later and noticed the ink wasn't all the way dry so I figured because it was ruined anyway, I'd try to clean it and took a baby wipe to it. The ink wiped off and the picture is still perfect!! Not sure if that would work with a printed at home picture but I rarely print at home anyway.

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to CSMmom

I use matte finish as well. I also use Costco brand picture paper. I use it in both my Epson Picture Mate, and Wide Format printer and it works great in both!

gracie_1990
Tenant
gracie_1990
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
For printing at home?

I print very little myself, I prefer to use the lab (those I typically get in gloss). But when I do print at home, I use the HP Premium Plus Soft Gloss. It's a matte-type finish, not really glossy.

I've always heard the rule of thumb is to use the same brand paper as your printer (e.g. HP printer, HP paper).

I bought some Kodak paper on sale and was VERY disappointed. I would NOT buy it again.

Linda, I wouldn't be surprised if that tip is true. I once tried Costco brand photo paper with my Kodak printer. The printer wouldn't even print properly on the Costco paper. The ink just smeared everywhere. Ever since then, I have only used Kodak photo paper and have had great results.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to gracie_1990

• gracie_1990 Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
For printing at home?

Linda, I wouldn't be surprised if that tip is true. I once tried Costco brand photo paper with my Kodak printer. The printer wouldn't even print properly on the Costco paper. The ink just smeared everywhere. Ever since then, I have only used Kodak photo paper and have had great results.

I had a similar experience trying to use Kodak paper in a Epson printer. The ink did not dry for over an hour, it just laid on the surface.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Gelidy Gelato

You have to "tell your printer" what type of paper you are using. It is possible to cross brand and get excellent results but you have to find the code words to make it happy.

I use an Epson Artisan and and Premium Luster. It's not as glossy as glossy but not matte either.

I have had excellent results using red river professional papers. Red River is very helpful as far as code input to make their papers print their best with you printer.

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to Msceejay2000

When I had the Kodak picture printer it would't take any other paper at all. The ink just sat all wet and bubbled up on top of the paper.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Andra Hoffman

I like the sharpness of glossy and also like the luster paper. If I'm putting the pictures into page protectors, then I don't have to worry about fingerprints...except mine while trying to put it all together. I "shine them up" before placing my LO into the protector.

If I want a bunch of digital prints, I order through snapfish, but for scrapping I prefer to print my own. It seems like labs always manage to cut-off edges or the coloring isn't what I expected. Also I do a lot of custom sizing for my LOs.

I usually use HP advanced paper for my HP printers and get great results.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics