Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: aghhh...cricut mats        (Topic#1567917)
Resident

Does anyone else have a problem getting their cricut mat to stay sticky longer than a couple uses??????

Please HELP

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to ascott007

Try baby wipes after every couple of uses or if you have paper that leaves particles behind. Gentle enough to wipe the paper off but not the glue.

I've also used zip 2-way glue or there is spray adhesive you can buy. Don't get either on the border. Don't use if youre worried about your warranty, I've heard that can void it.

I also use blue painter tape for when I'm using small scraps.

Hope that helps.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ascott007

I just bought some cricut mats that are for the imagine but supposedly can be used with the expression as well, they are not nearly as sticky as the original green ones. It also seemed like the cuts weren't as deep either. Unfortunately the box stores near me are only selling these kind of mats. GRRRR!

the stickiness issue goes back and forth, sometimes the mats are too sticky and things rip. I know there have been several suggestions about how to re-stick you mat.
Check ou the cricut forums. If you go to "forums" tab and click on more forums there is a die cutter section with each of the main brands listed.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to jaxxan

Yep!! Totally sucks. I have used a little dish soap and gently washed them to make they re-sticky. It worked on some but took off most of the adhesive on others!!! I think I will be buying some repositionable spray adhesive b/c I'm SICK of buying new mats-I have 8!!!!

Expert
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I don't like it when they are brand new, though..they are sooooo sticky you can barely get the paper off without it tearing!

Resident
In response to jaxxan

thanks girls! Yes thats the one i bought for the imagine and its not sticky at all and the older ones were too sticky! it sucks but ill check out that forum

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to ascott007

I use my mats forever. I do several of the "restickying" tricks, but as it wears down, I always use a brayer to give it extra hold - this works great for me. and like I said, I use my mats for a very long time. I bet I dont go through more than 2-3 mats a year ( I'm guessing- cause it's not something I really keep track of).
And I use my Cricut on EVERY LO I do.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to ChansGram

I've been using the same mat for like a year. I use that Zig 2 Way Glue Pen with the jumbo tip. Works great!

My roly runner thingie does need to be cleaned though...any sugestions? I can't reach the roller and don't really want to take the machine apart

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I don't use my cricut very much but the the first mat had a lot of adhesive on it and the same with the second one I am using now. TFS on how to keep the mats a little longer.

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to prittb

I use a glue stick & apply a light amount on all 4 edges, this seems to help.

susanlk
Expert
susanlk
In response to aschlegel06

This may sound like defeating the purpose.
When the mats are new & really sticky, I pat them with a clean t-shirt or on my jeans so that the first sheet of cardstock doesn't overstick. When they are really sticky & you put a sheet of cardstock on it, then more of the paper particles stick to the mat wehn you remove the paper. This makes the mats lose their sticking power much quicker.

I haven't tried the newer mats yet, so I don't know if this would help with those. I have some, but haven't needed to open them yet.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to susanlk

There are tutorials on YouTube on how to make your Cricut mats sticky again. I searched "make cricut mats sticky", there are several options.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to SoonerT

How did we ever scrap without the internet or youtube? I love this site for all of its members, ideas, gallery, etc along with the power of google to teach me how to do things.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to pugs223

And let us not forget the magazines.

The gallery is definitely filled with art and inspiration.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to SoonerT

Another way to clean your mats after several uses is to get one of those 3M Pet Hair Remover lint rollers. It takes off all the little fuzzies, snippets of paper, dog hairs, etc. that collect on your mats. This is the brand I always get as it seems to work best - be sure it's the one marked "pet hair remover".

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to dwelch

After mine lose their stickiness, I spray them with a vellum re-positionable spray.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to SandraB.

I had one mat that lasted for more than a year (without additional adhesive). It must have been from the Bionic line that wasn't meant to be released for sale

eadyscraps
Resident
eadyscraps
In response to ascott007

I was just on the Cricut website and there are LOTS of complaints about the new mats not being as sticky as the old ones.

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to eadyscraps

I try to avoid buying new mats at all costs. I use the Zig 2-way glue and once that stops working after several applications I use masking tape to hold down my paper It works!

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to DittoBabyGirl

• DittoBabyGirl Said:
I've been using the same mat for like a year. I use that Zig 2 Way Glue Pen with the jumbo tip. Works great!

My roly runner thingie does need to be cleaned though...any sugestions? I can't reach the roller and don't really want to take the machine apart

You mean the silver bar that moves the mat forward and back? I would take a baby wipe and feed a corner of it under the bar from the front and grab it from the other side and just kind of "sweep" the wipe back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics