Username Post: Last minute gift        (Topic#1568093)
MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Long story short, I found out DH wants to exchange gifts Thursday night, I thought I had until the 26th and decided yesterday morning to make him a mini album of wedding photos.

I have the basics, 6x6 album, pp and CS and am planning on raiding my TH/7Gypsies embellies. However I'm horrible with masucline pages, can't make a page without wanting to slap a few flowers on it, and now with the crunched deadline-not that I mind-my brain has shut down. I've gone through the gallery and gotten some ideas but when it comes to basic page LOs I'm stumped!

I'm wondering if anyone has any go-to tips/tricks/elements that they use on guy pages? Or any advice in general?

Thanks all!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to MrsAnnieS

Home Depot gift card and give him the book for Valentine's Day?

I'm horrible at creating things on a deadline.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to kelseymel

You can't go wrong with some Distress Inks- especially Vintage Photo- I gotta have that everywhere!

Have you looked around Home Depot for embellishments? I find lots of cool things there- some things that I swear I've seen in da LSS, but in Graphic45 packaging. Yeahhhh, I know what's going on here. And it's CHEAP.

I found some cool hinges, knobs, washers, bolts- and with some Alchohol Inks, they look even cooler.

Also- while I'm not into flower, I've made some cool ones with the Tattered Florals die, which ended up looking like leather 'flower' things- using some Distress Inks (antique linen, vintage photo, and another brown- but forget what) and rubbing/crinking the thick cardstock I'd used. Also, some metal flowers would still look cool...while being an almost flower shape, they still look more like hardware.

Gears are always, cool, too- and you have a cricut, you can cut some cool ones. Even tho I can cut plenty of gears with my Cricut (I use the Indie Art cartridge, which I found out about thanks to someone here!) - I still want the Tim Holtz gear die. Why? Cuz I can't have enough gears.

Also, at Home Depot, they have some thin metal sheets, about 5X7, which are perfect for book covers. And thin enough to punch thru- I think I found them in the roofing section.

M's had some cool paper with a diagram of different moustaches on it- which I found so freakin cool I bought a stack.

I like lots of interactive things - and while that's not really JUST A GUY THING to do/like- it can be really cool if you have make it more like a 'safe' or 'toolbox' than 'a purty shabby cabinet.'

Also, I think the look of vintage office supplies are very masculine- also, lots of the old travel-related looking stuff. To me, nothing says classy man than a passport, a suit, and a page of moustache paper from Michael's. But that's just me.

;-)

-k

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-21-11 09:35 AM
In response to designguyKORY

Graphic patterns, bold colors, hardware, duct tape, and everything Kory said.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

Chocolate brown and light blue is a cool colour combo for guy pages, grey and orange can also work.
Stripes work, I 2nd the gear embellishments, I like using Kraft as a background paper and use that frequently on pages for my son. Metallics are also cool....
Kory had a lot of great ideas....
Alison

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to kiyawinn

Good thinkin! Choc.Brown and Light blue are favorites of mine, even! My favorite striped winter scarf is in those colors!

Also- I think someone mentioned something about patterns- I have a major love for any paper that has a pattern that looks like suit fabric. Very cool. Graphic45's "Proper Gentleman" has some amazing papers. Someone here told me about it- and when I saw it in real life at da LSS, I went crazy for it. Great looking. Ohhh, now I'm really thinking. I'll make some kind of fabric embellishment for my new mini-book, using some suiting fabric- maybe make some fabric ties to tie the book closed or...who knows.

I love this site!

-k

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm off to a fantastic start thanks to a small fortune spent at my A's. I had the basic grey kraft collection for starters and I used that as my base for all my pages. But I picked up some core'dinations black and tan CS along with a bunch of metal embellies and the TH gears die-thanks for that Kory! Also got crackle paint and distress stickles in tarnished brass.

Am stopping by a few stores tonight to look for a knob and ball chain for a closure and then hopefully a few hours to finish getting it slapped together!

I appreciate all the input, definitely got the gears turning again
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MrsAnnieS

I'm going to remember what Kory said,,,,,,I do find washers, hardware, keys and hinges at Lowes too,,,,,,,and I swear they package the same thing in G45 wrapping, as Kory said.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Oh and TH has some awesome clock faces I've used on my husband's stuff.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
Oh and TH has some awesome clock faces I've used on my husband's stuff.

I've had a pack of these for about a year now and haven't had the perfect thing to use them on-I'm going to find a place in this album if it kills me!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to MrsAnnieS

Only 4.5 hours until we are set to exchange and we're having dinner in there some where as well. Thankfully only 30min left of work

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to MrsAnnieS

Gift cards are my answer to last-minute gift-giving! Unfortunately, I've been doing a lot of that last-minute stuff myself.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics