Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Does anyone have a silent setter?        (Topic#1568133)
PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

I have not ventured into eyelets yet but I want to try. I hate the noise and the pounding....is the silent setter easy? Do you like yours? Is it worth the $$$$$?

Thanks
Also, if you have a better suggestion, I am open to anything.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to PhotobearSam

I think most like the crop.a.dile- I however, could never get the hang of that darn thing!! I still use the good ole MM hammer set- I like it because it seems I have better control of placement.
I have never tried the silent setter one, but have heard of it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ChansGram

I don't, but I do have the Big Bite. It is silent and can reach anywhere on a 12x12 page. I bought one because I got tired of peeling my autistic son off of the ceiling everytime I used my noisy setter!

I love my Big Bite. It's super easy to use, and it fits easily into my crop bag.
Products Referenced in This Post:

nicburton
New Kid On the Block
nicburton
In response to Luvmyfam

I have one that has lasted me years. My smallest the hole piercer has now clogged up (with adhesive maybe?) and I can't get it to cut anymore holes. It is easy to set eyelets, but I find I have to 'grind' the eyelet setter a bit, so if you have shoulder issues, you may find it a bit difficult. Otherwise I think it's worth the money.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to nicburton

I have both a silent setter and a big bite, IMHO I say go with the big bite, I like it SOOOO much better and is worth every penny.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to nicburton

• nicburton Said:
I have one that has lasted me years. My smallest the hole piercer has now clogged up (with adhesive maybe?) and I can't get it to cut anymore holes. It is easy to set eyelets, but I find I have to 'grind' the eyelet setter a bit, so if you have shoulder issues, you may find it a bit difficult. Otherwise I think it's worth the money.

I have this one as well as the Big Bite - I personally love the silent setter more. Smaller, easier to use for me.

Are these anywhere to be found/bought? I haven't seen them in years.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to pugs223

What about this one below?

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

I have a Big Bite, a Crop-A-Dile, a Silent Setter, Making Memories set AND the Fiskars spring loaded eyelet setters. I go back to the Fiskars ones almost everytime, although the MM come in a close second.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Looks very similar to the Provo Craft one but instead of twisting while pushing, it sounds as if you just push once or twice. I have not used this one or know of anyone who has it.

Veteran
In response to pugs223

I have a silent setter and love it!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to pugs223

I have the Making Memories Instant Setter, cropadiles (both sizes), and the old fashion hammer & setters. I have to tell you all of these tools can be hard on your hands for different reasons (especially the squeezing required for the Cropadile). I recommend that you visit a LSS and actually hold and use these tools if you can before buying them.

The larger cropadile is a little better if you rest it on the table but often I find I am holding it up so I can see exactly what is happened. If you plan to use it a lot my recommendation would be the larger cropadile. Often you find them on sale or can use a coupon.

PS feedback specifically to the instant setter is the palm of your hand will start to hurt after you set a few things.

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero

This is the one I have and I don't really like it that much. It really isn't all that silent either!!! My dog jumps every time she hears it.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to nicburton

• nicburton Said:

I have this one also. I like that I can take it to crops and I don't have to worry the noise. It does take a little getting use to though.

Good luck w/ whichever choice you make.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to rubymillerand

I have both the Big Bite and the crop.a.dile. I never use the Big Bite anymore, since the crop.a.dile works so well. It's nice and quiet and reaches into the center of the 12x12 paper.

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 12-22-11 10:28 PM
In response to momtokatie

I have one and hardly used it, bought some spring type ones my sister inlaw raved about never used them, I do love and use my mm intsant setter refranced above you have to have a hard sturdy surface for it to work right though.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to law

I asked my sister to get me one for christmas many years ago. I don't think i ever got the hang of it and I hate throwing it out.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to cescrapper

I had the Making Memories silent setter and it was NOT silent at all, almost as noisy as a hammer. Now I have the Big Bite, it truly IS silent and has a long enough reach to punch and set anywhere, I suggest that one.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I have the Making Memories setter. It comes with diff size heads. I bought it a few years back, I dont use eyelets much but it can also be used for making holes for other purpose.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to nicburton

• nicburton Said:

I use the end of a pin or paperclip to unclog the piercer.

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho
In response to JustJenScraps

I also have & love the Big Bite. I've had it for nearly a year now, and I've gotten rid of my old hammer needing eyelet setter. I hardly ever use any other hole punches, either, unless I need one bigger than the 3/16. I don't think there's anything I dislike about it!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics