Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Please be aware when online shopping        (Topic#1571161)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

Ive been ebaying recently and on amazon. Checked my bank transactions and a charge appeared from experian credit. I have not requested any credit reports lately. I called experian and they told me that this person had used the card to request some information. I dont give my card to anyone else but ppl are so smart these days who knows. The charge was $1. However I know thats usually to make sure the card worked. Who knows how much it really costs. The credit agency was helpful in locating who did it and placing a "red flag" or whatnot on his account. I did check the sellers and nothing stood out to me.

I cancelled my card, but now I have 2 orders from Joann's online pending (ordered 2/26/12). I called the bank and they said it could go either way (card invalid or approve the charges).I should prob get one of those prepaid visas to do my online shopping.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-27-12 10:52 AM
In response to Mia1979

They can get it from anywhere. I had $1200 stolen from my bank account a few years ago because someone got my info apparently by tampering with a debit card machine (my bank refunded me, thank goodness). Then a couple years ago I found an odd charge for like $9.95 which I questioned - the bank said that small charges like this are a very common way to steal money because a lot of people either just won't notice, or they'll assume it was something they really did buy, even if they can't remember it.

You just have to be vigilant and cautious.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to stick

We had a really random thing happen to us a couple years ago. We noticed about $5,000 missing from our checking account. Someone had done an online transfer from our account to their account, 3 times over 4 days.

They had previously credited our account 13 cents. They pull random account numbers out of the air and do a transfer to see if the account is valid.

Unless you're extremely vigilant (like we are now), who would notice a $0.13 credit?

Thankfully our bank refunded us. It was a nightmare.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Mia1979

Amazon should be ok but Ebay ...... I hear a lot of things. I think having a Paypal account established helps with this. Worth checking into.

That's wierd.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to CrimsonMama

I have a Paypal acct. Just recently I linked my check card to it..Maybe that was a bad Idea. I havent noticed this in the past....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mia1979

As said above, credit/debit card theft can happen lots of ways.

It's not necessarily your online activity.

I've heard that it's a better idea to use a credit card when ordering online. There are better fraud protections with Visa/Mastercard, and you can dispute charges. Then, if you do become a victim, you haven't had your checking account drained!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Mia1979

Hmmm, well, the Ebay dealer can't see your CC number if you are using Paypal. They just receive money to their account. If there is a problem there....THAT would be big trouble with Paypal.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to CrimsonMama

I only use by CC for online purchases just to be on the safe side. I can then contact the CC company and don't have to worry about my checking account being drained.

Thanks for the reminder, Mia1979.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to momtokatie

You never know where people get your info. over the years many reputable stores have had their info stolen. i know a few girls on sb.com that had money stolen because a person hacked into the Michael's info.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to Lamoo12

I have actually stopped using my debit card when going out to eat. You just never know who is going to write down the number, name and security code.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to ktmracing

Have you seen the commercial with the waitress that takes the rubbing of the credit card on her note pad? That freaked me out; it seems so common sense but you forget that your information can be stolen that quickly and easily.

It's always good to have a reminder to be more vigilant with bank and credit accounts!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to *jesse*

This is scary. This is why I dont want my debit card # stored online. I guess I should slow down either shopping way.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Mia1979

I never use my debit card anymore. I'd rather deal with getting an unauthorized charge off my credit card than have someone wipe out my checking account. Someone got ahold of my hubby's credit card last year. They bought a laptop off Amazon and had it delivered to their house. The rep at amazon actually gave me the persons address and phone number (she wasn't supposed to). I turned everything over to my local police. The charge was removed and I got a new card. Amazon visa was great and had the charge removed and a new card issued to me the next day. I'm a fan of Paypal too.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 02-27-12 06:06 PM
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I had issues twice after shopping on Amazon. Both times it was the 1 charge, then 50, then a larger amount.

I still shop and don't really care since the bank will give me my money back. No signature on file and they don't have a case.

The one time it ticked me off was when there was an Avon charge...I left my card on my desk under some papers...not sure who it was but I'm pretty sure it happened from either a co-worker or cleaning crew (I doubt cleaning crew, since they don't touch our desks). I was able to cancel the order so the charge didn't go through.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to ELynn

I have a seperate credit card that I use only for online purchases. It is linked to my paypal acct., so I usually use paypal but if I can't I use this credit card. Therefore, no one sees my personal card.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SandraB.

I have pretty much gotten into the habit of getting cash out of my account and using cash. I don't use credit and I really use debit card less and less.

I've heard a lot lately about being scanning credit and debit card numbers through purses and wallets which is scary.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Henri Jean

See I dont have a credit card and Im so glad because I dont need it (I would shop even more). I rarely carry cash on me.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Mia1979

Maybe I'm OCD or something but I do check my bank account(s) every single day at least twice a day. That's the best way to spot any "questionable" charges. A few years ago, I went though the pain of being charged $1400 on wrestling equipment in another state that wasn't even the one that I live. Luckily for me, the bank refunded me the money and gave me a new card.

Another thing, if sellers online don't take PayPal I try to avoid them at all cost!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to GIGIGI30

Funny, I distrust Paypal more than I distrust most online sellers.

My bank sends me an email every morning showing any deposits or withdrawals from the previous business day (but not their sources). If I can't identify a withdrawal, then I log in to the bank's website to match it up, and the more detailed transaction information there is enough to trigger my memory about what the purchase was. (This is typically in the case of multiple purchases in a day, or an online purchase that didn't get charged until it shipped - I usually don't have more than a couple transactions a week.)

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to aquabunny

Another reason I like using my credit cards is for the points. I get lots of gift cards and free stuff with my points. You can even shop on Amazon..and py for it with your points. I'm currently saving up for our plane tickets to Italy

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics